German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Critique My Dog (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/critique-my-dog/)
-   -   What do you think? Working dog? Show dog? (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/critique-my-dog/131831-what-do-you-think-working-dog-show-dog.html)

trish07 03-08-2010 11:15 AM

What do you think? Working dog? Show dog?

Some told me its more working, other more show....don't know what to think!

Here is his father: Goethe von Hohen-Haus, berger allemand de reproduction, Quebec, Canada

Here is his grandmother (can't find picture-pedigree of her daughter, mother of my dog, because she sold her to somebody else and don,t know why her informations donot appears anymore....): Pedigree Berger Allemand - VA Bonien vom Haus Milesevac

And here is the only picture I have of Phenix in the GDS Position loool
95lbs @ 1˝ year.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...7/P1020775.jpg

Branca's Mom 03-08-2010 11:30 AM

Show

Catu 03-08-2010 12:02 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Show

remember that having working titles doesn't make a dog working lines

DinoBlue 03-08-2010 12:06 PM

Show

APBTLove 03-08-2010 12:35 PM

Show, but if he checks out physically, nothing to stop you from working him if you want to... Can you get a picture of him standing, as close to a stack as you can get, on flat ground? Like road/carpet/tile, his pasterns look a little funny, but I can't tell because of the grass.. By the way, he is in great condition...

trish07 03-08-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APBTLove (Post 1781538)
Show, but if he checks out physically, nothing to stop you from working him if you want to... Can you get a picture of him standing, as close to a stack as you can get, on flat ground? Like road/carpet/tile, his pasterns look a little funny, but I can't tell because of the grass.. By the way, he is in great condition...

I'll try tonight!

How could you see the difference between show/working dogs only looking at them? I've always thought show dogs were the one with the ass so close to the ground that you couldn't put an hand between each!!!

Lin 03-08-2010 03:02 PM

The type of show line you're referring to is the american show lines with the angulation in the rear. There is also the german show lines; with the problem of tendency for roach backs.

JKlatsky 03-08-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trish07 (Post 1781580)
How could you see the difference between show/working dogs only looking at them? I've always thought show dogs were the one with the ass so close to the ground that you couldn't put an hand between each!!!

Remember you have German Showlines as well as North American showlines. The more extreme North American Showlines are the ones that are often criticized as "hock-walkers" with the very low back end. Extreme German Showlines are more often termed "banana backed".

Your dog is from German Showlines. The VA before the dog's name is a high German conformation title which is an indicator. Also typical is black and red saddle coloration.

trish07 03-08-2010 03:27 PM

Ohhhhh thank you guys!!!

trudy 03-08-2010 04:20 PM

I don't know why all Am show lines are thought of as being very sloped back, hock walkers. Only the extremes are like that, and a lot of people who love their dogs don't like it.My guy is Am/Can show lines and if you take a look in the critique section I just posted 2 pics of him at 23months. I am a crappy photographer and stacker but he is very nice and most people think he is pretty good. also he does herd, track and do agility, of course all are in beginner stages of varying degrees but he can work. Obedience will also be titled in and then he will also be shown in conformation. Truly a dog who can do it all, if I can keep up