Critique on me mostly - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Critique on me mostly

I want to handle a few show dogs so I have been practicing on my stacking. You can critique my dog but i just mostly want to see if he is stacked right.He is 15 months and my baby. Thank you

I know he is not a show dog but he is my baby boy

Thanks for looking

Mommy to:
Jackson: 22 month old GSD
Millie: 11 years GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Banned

Re: Critique on me mostly

Looks pretty good but you might want to check on his front paws being in line.

Also if you can train him to do it, it always looks better to have your dog actually walk into a pose rather than placing him in it. most all of the top speciality pro handlers seem to favor this.

Another hint would be to go look at many shows and watch the pros do it!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Ok thank you
At the last Seiger Dig Show I took a class on how to stack and all that stuff.
They told me to try and walk him into a stack but I failed.

I will try and work on having him walk into it.
Thank you

Mommy to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Crowned Member

I am sure you know you have too much hardware on his neck. From what I've heard, handlers like to train the dog in the show collar so he knows what to expect with that collar on. It just helps make it clearer to the dog what's going on.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Elite Member

just a few tips from a non expert, his front legs have to be under his body more, perfectly straight up and down, and his back hock is also supposed to be straight up and down. Also he should look forward cause his body almost looks curved. I keep practicing so my dog will hold it and stay, not doing too well myself. So I keep working and walking around.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I am not training him to be a show dog i just was practicing with him after I worked on his obedience. I am only 12 so with that collar I can handle him easier. I work on having him stay after I do it and he is getting pretty good. I practice on him mostly every day.

I got a handbook on how the legs should look but it is easier to practica and see on a real dog.

Mommy to:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

If you can get ahold of a mirror, you can place that against a wall and that way you can see what you are doing while you are stacking.

I agree with the others, the front legs should be a little straighter under the body, and the hock should also be straight up and down, at a 90degree angle to the ground.

Your front legs are pretty close, I find that getting the dog's attention and getting them to lean forward towards that makes for a prettier picture, this is why some handlers throw treats or toys (which many other exhibitors and judges find rude). When I am trying to take stacked photos on my own at home, I place the feet, put the dog in a stay, then throw toys in front of them to get them to look forward.

Don't know which venue you are planning to show in, SV, AKC, UKC, but I know for AKC and UKC you want to make sure the show collar is right underneath the jawline, so as high up on the neck as possible, this shows the head off better.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you that is very good advice. I dont know what I am going to show in yet. Thank you

Mommy to:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Why don't you start that pretty boy in rally-o? That will give you some experience and it should be fun for you!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

We did put him in a German Shepherd show with a German judge but that is it. What is a rally-o?

Mommy to:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page