Critique my stacking skillz - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Critique my stacking skillz

Sorry for the poor quality pic. It's a frame from a video since he will not yet hold a stack on his own long enough for me to snap a pic and I have no help. Those are the best front feet I was able to get. He fights me when I try to move them and then they just get worse. I've tried the lifting him and setting him down thing but I'm doing something wrong because he just ends up with splayed legs looking like a baby deer trying to walk for the first time.

What do you think? Overall I'm happy since we've only done it a few times. He does not know what I want yet so it's really hard to get him to do anything but a bark and hold for anything remotely interesting that will make him perk up. Seriously, if I posted the actual video of us stacking it would be high comedy. I was using cheese and it was all I could do to keep him quiet with all four of his legs on the ground.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Critique my stacking skillz

Back left foot should be a tiny bit forward. The rest looks good to me but I am not that experienced either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

He's a handsome fella. You've done a great job stacking him.

Cheyenne peaking around the corner cracks me up!

Cara
Here's my train of thought, you can follow it if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ GSD, born 2-9-2008
Lucky~ Golden Retriever, 2.5 years old
Mr. Monk~ Taunting Tabby Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

Good job! Its too bad that the color is dark.... maybe photoshop??
Not an expert by far (and this is a good stack), but perhaps if the rear feet were closer to centerline, and the left rear not stretched quite so far.

I just tried to stack an 11 week old puppy.... so have plenty of respect for anyone who can get a picture showing all 4 feet on the floor
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I had almost lost him at this point in the video because Cheyenne is peaking around the corner and he felt his cheese was being threatened. He was slowly leaning further and further towards the cheese. In the video there are what appear to be better stacks with him not leaning so much and the back foot a smidge closer except I am REALLY hovering over him and no single snapshot would be able to to capture his entire body, I'd have to post the entire video.

Practice makes perfect. We have until December.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

Hard to see but looks like Very nice top-line and croup. Good length and postion of upper arm, should maybe a tad straight. Would like to see him in better lighting for he looks like a nice boy. How old??

Beth Green

Land O' Lakes, FL
In loving Memory of Sheila vom Roten Feld SchH1 CGC TC, Costa vom Grum Majestat,
Hexe Ducati, and SG1 Zella Adlerberg
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

27 months

I hope to have a pic with better lighting and overall quality in a week or two. I was working with him for just 5 minutes at dinner time each night and two days before this weeklong work trip I was able to step directly in front of him while he held his feet in position. Hopefully it won't take him long to remember where we left off (I miss him so! ). I'll be sure to post the pic if I'm able to get it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

I love his dark coloring, his topline looks to be a bit roachy but it is hard to tell b/c the picture is so dark, I do agree he does look to be a little stretched in the rear, nice tail set, nice tight feet, earset looks nice as well. I am no expert, but he is gorgeous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page