Tried to get a stacked photo... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Tried to get a stacked photo...

But she just sits lol.

I am trying to lure her into the stance with a treat just before her nose, but she just sits and looks at me, like, "what, I usually sit to get the treat right?"

Any ideas on how to encourage her to stand? Should I start using a command to associate with stacking?

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 AM
Elite Member

Re: Tried to get a stacked photo...

When I am stacking my dog, I use the commands "stand" and "stay". So for an example I will tell my girl, " Stand, stay Noel " when she does what I ask I tell her "good girl". Being repetitive they start to get what they are suppose to be doing. Hope this helps.

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Sticky on how to teach a stack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

What I have always done is teach them that "stand" means "stand up". "Stay" means DO NOT MOVE YOUR FEET AT ALL. Once they have that down, then I start positioning their feet where I want them, then tell them to stay. It takes longer than what istalked aobut in the link above. But you can do it alone. It doesn't take 849748 people to get a deceint(sp) pic.

That is how I have gotten pics like this with NO HELP.
(Granted, not the best stack. I was 14yo and just messing around. But she STAYED.)

Here is one of my current "pup" when we were practicing when she was 5 1/2 months old. Again, not prefect but I have no help.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

You might also need some extra help. I can stack my dogs and have them stay but if they are tired or bored they still look icky when placed correctly (shoulders hunch, head low, ears not alert).

For example, this is a stack I did last night, placed the dog and walked away. He was tired from doing ball work and bored with the whole thing, I think it shows.

I prefer the dog to be standing more alert, not just with how the feet are placed, but the ears, expression, shoulders, etc. So when doing it myself, I hang his favorite toy over the fence, pull him about 10 feet away, stack him facing the toy, and use a remote control to take the picture. With a helper, I have them stack him and I stand in front waving a toy.

I like this one better because he is more alert.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

I am trying to teach Stark this as well.. we have the 'Steh' command down.. but the 'bleib' command needs some work.. especially with the fun lure we use (his cuz ball).

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

I have different commands for conformation, since obedience also has a stand in it.

"Stand" is for my dogs to stack themselves. I only tell them "Stay" for the exam. If I'm free baiting, moving feet is what I want so I can get them in position.

We use "steh" for the obedience SFE

I also stack my dogs by myself with no help generally...I throw bait and reinforce the stay to get them to look ahead so I get a profile.

These were all taken with no help:

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the link Amaruq. When I have a little time later I'm going to read through that.

I'm also going to start using a command like suggested. I think that seems like the logical thing to do...we use a command for just about everything else. I'll post pictures as soon as I get something halfway decent!

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page