Gretchen's Turn for a Critique! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Gretchen's Turn for a Critique!

But be gentle, please........ She's my baby-girl......

Gretchen is a rescue, 5 year old, spayed, female. She weighs about 74lbs.; she's fed RAW, and she trains in Schutzhund. She was spayed before her first heat (by the rescue org.).

What I would really like to know is <u>how she compares to the standard</u> (for a working dog) AND <u>what lines do you think she is from</u>.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me <u>what is good</u>, <u>what is ok</u>, and <u>what should be better</u>.

Ok, here we go (I'm nervous..... )

This is Gretchen's first and only attempt at a stack. She wasn't very happy about having to stand there like that while I was throwing pieces of sausages on the ground!!!

For comparison, here are a few pictures of her is a natural stance

And a couple head shots

OK, she's all yours, critique away..................

Thanks!

Ania, mom to
Dexter & Yoshi - one-eyed-Pekingese
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy
Re: Gretchen's Turn for a Critique!

She's gorgeous.

I'd say it's likely she's from working lines due mainly to her hind-end conformation.

Good pigmentation and color. Nice solid, feminine head though her muzzle is a bit narrow (in front view). Pasterns are a bit straight. Shoulder angle is a bit steep. Topline could flow a bit better but from shoulders back it looks very nice. It also flows nicely into her croup and into a proper tailset. Nice compact feet with good hind angulation.

Overall, I'd say she's a very well-balanced dog. I like her!

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Slightly stretched feminine girl. OK withers with a dip behind her withers. Slightly steep croup that should be longer. Good angulation front and rear. Good pasterns, good feet. I would like to see a slightly stronger head (just personal preference), but she has a lovely expression.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you!!!

There was a sticky at some point that explaind what all this ment, but now its gone, so can you please help me undersatnd some of this?

What do you mean by slightly stretched? Is she too ling?
Pasterns are a bit straight - what should they look like?
Shoulder angle is a bit steep - what does that mean?

What about her hight? I alway think that she looks very tall compared to other females.

Also, what lines is she from? Czech? East/West German???

Thanks again.

Ania

Ania, mom to

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Stretched means that she is a bit long (long through the loin, the area between the ending of the ribs and the point of the hip).

Steep shoulder means that it is straighter, has less angles, than ideal. The pastern is the part between the ankle and the foot. Generally straight shoulders also means straight pasterns (straight, to up and down).

How tall is she to the top of her withers? She has a lot of leg under her (long legs) so that can give the impression that she is bigger.

She looks like a mix of working lines of some sort.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you again!

Do you think she looks in good condition? I haven't been training as much as I normally do because of my illness, so the amount of exercise she gets is reduced.

I don't have her measurements right now, but I'll try to get them tonight.

Ania, mom to

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Yes. She looks good.

Since she was spayed at a young age she probably is taller than she normally would have been. Will be interesting to know her size.

Lisa Clark

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok, I measured her. I did it myself, so its not perfect, but I think she's 24" tall.

Ania, mom to

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM

That is the top of the standard for a female so not too big. My first female was 25.5. She was too big.

Lisa Clark

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That's what I thought! Thanks!

Ania, mom to

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page