Renji (for fun) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Renji (for fun)

Renji is a GSD x chow mix so I know his anatomy isn't going to match any standard. But he is an incredibly agile dog with amazing acceleration and to me he has good, balanced movement, so I'd like details on what in his structure yields all that. If you think he is NOT balanced, I'd love to know that as well. I'm trying to develop my eye for this.

Now this stack I am PROUD of. I did this by myself- positioning the dog and photographing him. Well, okay, the lab down the street helped maintain his focus. Please pardon the heavy post-processing; I still need to be mindful of my backgrounds.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Re: Renji (for fun)

Well, I'm not an expert, but I think he looks very balanced! Back looks good too. I like his appearance, very pretty! His legs look really long, to me, or is it just the picture? Seems as if his movement is placing the feet where they do the most good in his running, I always thought that they were supposed to meet under the body this way. He's gorgeous!

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you. He is very square so I guess that means his legs are long or they're normal and his body is short. He's small though, only 45 lbs, but he is VERY fast. He definitely has a structure for speed, but I wonder if his is more for bursts of speed rather than endurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 PM

Well, he looks fantastic running! I wouldn't worry about the size, that will probably help him in the long run. Less strain on his hips, etc. The more I look at the pics, the better I think he's built. And I thought he looked fine the first time I saw them! I like them better on the square side, I think they're better able to handle agility. I have seen some GSDs that were bred for 'show' and thought that their hips were way exaggerated, and felt sorry for them. Renji looks just fine. I had a German bloodline Schutzhund male once who was very square and balanced, and his top weight was 75 lbs. And he could do anything you asked him too. Used to jump in my arms on command. I don't think I could have held him if he weighed more! LOL.
Anyway, you have a great looking boy there, enjoy him! (think you did a nice job with the stacking, too, if I didn't mention that before.)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

The third running pic in the topmost really shows off how incredibly agile this dog is. Renji really is poetry in motion-- but he also looks strong to boot. Renji truly has the tight, compact catfeet that are so advantageous in so many breeds. I LOVE seeing his firm rounded paws-- no weakness there at all. The weird thing is, Renji always looks BIG to me in his pics. I honestly think some dogs just have tons and tons of hutzpah and 'tude and it emanates through pictures too. I have an enormous GSD (27.5") and Renji looks intimidating to me!! I honestly would be cautious in meeting him, he just looks like he can handle anything.. is just his carriage and expression. I like how he has a strong, short neck. Nothing on this dog looks anything but healthy and strong. He even just LOOKS fast, too. He has a nice trim waist-- nothing excess on him. Nothing on Renji looks extreme at all. I am just in love with Renji's stocky, well-furred ears and floofy tail furs! His rich russets and glowing golds in his coat are stunning, and a good testament to excellent care.

WHOA-- just noticed his Concord-grape colored tongue! KEWL!!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Elite Member

i like his size, he looks "sturdy." my question is, what is his temperment like more chow or GSD??

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks, all! Wildwolf, I'm not concerned about his size at all. In fact, I LOVE this size! And Patti, yes, he certainly exudes an air of "150 lb angry Rottweiler." He can do without half of that! We're trying to get him to gain weight but somehow his body is happy staying at "cheetah weight," but he's still getting fed better than we are. Yes, his tongue and mouth are both very purple!

Steve, Renji is more suspicious and territorial, very quick to put on the boxing gloves. He is what I would call a sharp dog and will bark loudly and menacingly if people or dogs get close to "his" territory. Even if I let people in, he's not very accepting of guests until I prove it to him that they're good; I have to hand them a toy or food for them to dish out to Renji, then he LOVES them. With repair crews, he's kept crated and I feed him goodies to help him learn that visitors are fine if *I* tolerate them. He is incredibly intelligent and quickly learns and picks up new things. I think he's a very even mix temperament-wise.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, and he is VERY stubborn.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMOh, and he is VERY stubborn.
i think thats the GSD in him

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No, that's the chow. They're well known for being independent and very obstinate. With a chow, you really have to motivate them. Thankfully when I train I see mostly GSD but when the chow comes out, it gets interesting.

On to his structure, I know he doesn't have very good reach. What on him is limiting the reach? Does he have a short upper arm? Or is it the shoulder angles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page