So frustrated - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 46Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:07 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I just looked for that option. How did you do it? I changed to the default style and that helped, but I HATE the default.

Thank you,
I went to user CP, edit options and changed it there. Cassidy’s Mom told me how to do this, lol.
lhczth and Cassidy's Mom like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Maybe we should be more tolerant of conversations, even if they do get a little passionate. Maybe we should follow our own rules and allow political discussions on dog-related issues, instead of closing them down before we get a chance to even see them. Maybe we should not support BSL from our organizational level and not ban mention of any particular breeds here.

We do allow political discussions that are dog related.

WE had to ban the discussion on "pitbulls" and breeds of that description because every single discussion became a nasty mess with personal attacks. They were NOT discussions. The members' behavior made that a required rule. It was not something we just decided to enact. Maybe if members were able to have a civil debate we would not have had to make that decision, but time and time again the MEMBERS proved that would never be possible.

As far as changing board names. That also was a rule enacted because it was being abused by the MEMBERS.

The behavior of the MEMBERS time and time again make us have to enact rules. We get really tired of having to be mommies for adults. People are no longer able to be civil to one another and the art of debate has been lost. People get behind a key board and write things they would NEVER say in person.

We give people a lot of chances. There were even members we felt were an asset to the board that we allowed back. Unfortunately they proved that giving them a second chance did nothing to improve their behavior. I wish it was different. I too miss all of the great and sometimes heated (though civil) GSD discussions we used to have. It is a loss to the breed, IMO.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

" People are no longer able to be civil to one another and the art of debate has been lost. People get behind a key board and write things they would NEVER say in person."

Ahh, this is not just "on this board" or "on discussion board" behavior. One of the most discouraging thing about the internet is the comment sections under published articles. The only thing I question in this quote is that people would NEVER say these things in person. Unfortunately, I think the behavior is leaking from the digital world...
lhczth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
We do allow political discussions that are dog related.

WE had to ban the discussion on "pitbulls" and breeds of that description because every single discussion became a nasty mess with personal attacks. They were NOT discussions. The members' behavior made that a required rule. It was not something we just decided to enact. Maybe if members were able to have a civil debate we would not have had to make that decision, but time and time again the MEMBERS proved that would never be possible.

As far as changing board names. That also was a rule enacted because it was being abused by the MEMBERS.

The behavior of the MEMBERS time and time again make us have to enact rules. We get really tired of having to be mommies for adults. People are no longer able to be civil to one another and the art of debate has been lost. People get behind a key board and write things they would NEVER say in person.

We give people a lot of chances. There were even members we felt were an asset to the board that we allowed back. Unfortunately they proved that giving them a second chance did nothing to improve their behavior. I wish it was different. I too miss all of the great and sometimes heated (though civil) GSD discussions we used to have. It is a loss to the breed, IMO.

Well I have seen interesting threads shut down that were political, but about dogs.

I have seen conversations shut down that were debates, but not slug-fests.

And I think people should be curbed for breaking rules, rather than disallowing topics in general. Because that is protecting us from ourselves. It is a bad precedent. Those who cannot argue and debate within the bounds of common decency will just move on to other topics, like religion or guns, breeding or dog food and get them banned as well.

And folks that have their GSD attacked by a goblin should be allowed to talk about the attack and name the goblin and discuss the goblin. Because we are a community. For Lisa to be able to talk about her pup being attacked by a rottweiler and the aftermath, while Justin is not allowed to talk about how his dog was attacked by a goblin, because his dog was attacked by a goblin is not conducive to building a healthy community that serves a purpose.

And yes, the lack of healthy debates IS detrimental to the breed, and dog owners in general. There should be a way to work toward that vision of a place where GSD owners can find connection, support, education, and entertainment in an ever-changing, ever growing group of individuals.

It seems like no one else in interested though, or believe it isn't possible out of the gate. That's disappointing. The art of debate is not dead, but too many folks get too offended by too little, and the answer is not always to make them comfortable.

Ah well, we could make this a better place if people weren't so invested in believing it is perfect.

ETA: I know that about the board names, but maybe we could practice some flexibility with new members while they are getting their feet wet. Rules are not cast in stone. Sometimes, rules put in place to prevent or manage one issue becomes a catalyst for other concerning behavior. Maybe once a year the rules should be weeded and pruned. We certainly don't have to continue doing something a certain way, just because it has been that way for so long.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 10-23-2018 at 01:42 PM.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Many of the threads that are shut down that you claim were civil were heavily edited to remove the problems. Much goes on in the back ground that you are unaware of because you are not here 24 hours a day.

We do our best. Bitching and whining that things are not as YOU believe they should be is not productive and does absolutely nothing to further the GSD.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page