8Likes
  • 2 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By Fodder
  • 2 Post By Steve Strom
  • 3 Post By Steve Strom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

FAQ Yield...

I’m sure there’s an actual term in programming for what I’m going describe...

On (some) other sites, there is a feature that searches the content of new posts BEFORE posting, that refers the posters to other recent or popular post containing several or more keywords.... generally with the prompts “see if these posts answer your question” or “do you still want to post” etc.

I know that we have stickies and the search feature but for some reason these are getting missed / ignored / not utilized and I’m wondering if there is some sort of revamp or solution to this.

I’m a long time member, well before the site was sold and membership / traffic jumped significantly.... but (and some of this is to be expected) it’s getting to the point where it’s beginning to sour my experience here.

Thoughts?
Cassidy's Mom and Femfa like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Master Member

That would be a nice feature to have. I tend to do a search before posting questions since this forum contains a lot of information, but I think I am in the minority

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
That would be a nice feature to have. I tend to do a search before posting questions since this forum contains a lot of information, but I think I am in the minority
Ditto, I think it’d be nice to have a very short and concise little blurb for new members (short to encourage them to actually read it) that directs them to stickies and the search feature. Maybe there is?

Anyway, either that or block any post that starts with “my puppies ears” or “breeders in Florida” LOL
Bramble likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:22 PM
Crowned Member

I think people just want to talk about their own pups, or their individual feelings and thoughts about whatever the topic is even if its the 4th thread in a week. Could just be the way I look at posting, just kinda talking to someone about dogs. Sometimes I just take a break. I can see people thinking their experience, situation is different because to some point, it is.
GypsyGhost and Genalis_mom like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I think people just want to talk about their own pups, or their individual feelings and thoughts about whatever the topic is even if its the 4th thread in a week. Could just be the way I look at posting, just kinda talking to someone about dogs. Sometimes I just take a break. I can see people thinking their experience, situation is different because to some point, it is.
Thatís a positive and fair outlook.
Leave it to me to find ways to be introverted...even online

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Ha, positive and fair from me? Got to check whats going on. Something must have froze over.
Fodder, LuvShepherds and Chuck94! like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

I see your point, but people also get upset when an old thread is brought up again with new questions. I just posted about a dog found in many pedigrees and hesitated because I didn’t want to be repetitive, then decided it was unique enough for a new thread. Personally, I get tired of ears aren’t up/is this a purebred/ how to stop biting/peeing in the house/won’t sleep at night threads, but each OP is a new member with a pressing problem and is probably a little frantic. They want their posts noticed. When I see a thread that was started in 2013, I usually assume the new post was a mistake and don’t reread the thread.

We don’t have to answer every thread.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know. Sometimes I just SMH because there are three threads about should I feed 3 1/2 cups of food or 3 3/4 all opened within one or two days or even a couple of hours apart. It happens a lot with various topics.

Then again when somebody with the same problem or question chimes in on another similar, current thread, so many are quick to tell them to go start their own thread.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page