Intact show/shutzhund male - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Intact show/shutzhund male

Ok, so this is my first gsd in a long time. I chose a great breeder of the West German show lines and purchased a beautiful male pup. I would love to breed him I'm the future only if he passes his BS and follows the criteria. However, he has become very dog dominant over dogs he has known all his life, but it's really expressed when when he is around me. He is 1yr &2months old please help me with advise on how to allocate his dominate behavior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

What is a schutzhund male???

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Ok, definitely get him involved in dog sport through a schutzhund club and get him koered etc. ...... Typically only a top notch male with many titles and good koer ratings is going to be a desired stud. Do you mean BH? That is the start of several titles and not considered enough for breeding.

Dominant? There are a lot of opinions on the reality of that. A pushy punk intact male. Yep. Why don't you describe his specific behaviors instead of an interpretation of them (e.g. "dominant") and maybe we can help. When it comes to around other dogs, please explain the circumstances and his body language (for example what are his ears and tail doing, why do you think it is "dominance", how do you know he is confident etc.) and maybe we can help you through it. What does the breeder say?

It is not going to hurt in any regards to do a NILIF approach - google "nothing in life is free" - and realize he is going to go through stages where he tests the limits with you. That is normal.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

BS = Breed Survey

OP - in order to get a breed survey, your dog has to have an AD and be titled.

If that is your goal, then talk to our IPO trainer on how to deal with this. It sounds like your obedience is lacking if you are having this issue.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:37 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Slane,

If your dog only gets pushy with other dogs when you are around, then it is not dog-dominance behaviour, but resource guarding. He sees you as HIS property, and is guarding you from other dogs. This shows a break-down in leadership and pack-structure - a subordinate dog would never try to control his/her leader in this way.

So you absolutely need to assert yourself and be crystal clear that this is not allowed. UP your leadership and training, and take away certain house priveleges which he will have to earn back.

Your best bet is to get in with a club or trainers who can coach you on how to read your dogs' behaviour and how to adjust your relationship. In the meantime, do follow Nancy's suggestion to check out NILIF and start implementing the concepts.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice, I'm appreciative of it all since I'm still very green to schutzhund/IPO and even other sports such as agility and show I've only had companion dogs before. Since I have the intentions to title and possible stud my gsd any help is great. I'm a work in progress.
To explain his dominate behavior. He will stand directly above a dog with his hair sticking up and his tail will be raised and he will be growling. He doesn't bare his teeth it's like he is telling the other dog he is boss. He does this behavior with other people but it's mostly with me. So I'm assuming he must think of me as his property like stated before. What I need is help on how to respond to this behavior. What I've done is grabbed him and looked him on the eyes and directly and tell him no and I don't let him look at the other dog. Then I just remove him from the area. I just don't want to do more harm then good.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

I would NOT allow him around other dogs. There is no reason for it. If you begin with IPO training, you'll see that interaction between dogs does not happen. We want dogs to be neutral to each other as a goal.
They have to do a long down with handler 30 paces away, and another team is on the field working, the dog in the down has to maintain it and the dog on the field stays with their handler. I've had dogs break the down or rush to my dog when he's doing a down, I am fortunate that he is neutral. My dog broke the down once to chase a very exciting female. Her enthusiasm was too much for him.

Because of your lofty goals, you better get cracken! It does take time to put titles on the dog, training is never ending.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-04-2016 at 05:30 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Actually he does not need to be interacting with strange dogs any more than a hello sniff or passing exposure. You are at a new level here. I think the hair sticking up and the growling means he may be a little conflicted - young punk trying to assert himself. Other dogs just need to be part of "the background"

Doing it with people is another level. I would stay above him - don't roll around on the floor with him or anything. Totally inappropriate there. It would be good asap to get involved with a good sport club and let them observe and guide you!

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page