Forum Etiquette Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Forum Etiquette Question

I started a thread asking people to tell stories about cute things their GSD did for treats. If I ever start a thread like that, where I want input, but it's not about something specific to me, is it proper etiquette to keep responding to other posts? I think I would just be adding unnecessary posts, but I don't want to be rude, as if I started it and then bailed on it. I keep checking it, and think there's some cute stories, but I think it might be annoying for me to keep clarifying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Elite Member

it doesn't really matter. if i start a thread asking something i will usually chime back after a few posts are made and respond to a few posts at once. if the thread dies and there is only 1 last post i'll reply the next day. you don't have to respond to every post as soon as it's made. but it is nice to respond eventually to all or mosts posts but not really important in this case. if you were asking for advice on something it would be rude for you not to respond or thank all who tried to help IMO.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Crowned Member

I don't see a problem with that, if you're worried just do a multiple quote so you can respond to many people at once.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

i hate when people ask for advice and a few people help out. some people will even type a lot. then the OP never shows again.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure what to do. I agree with thanking people for or responding to help. I do have to admit though, I have had responses to my questions asking for help that I haven't responded to. I usually always respond and say thank you and answer their questions. Sometimes though, if they respond after I think the thread has stop/died off (usually after a few days), I don't notice, because I stop checking after a while. I usually don't notice until I think it's too late to re-open the thread. I hope I haven't done it more than I know about.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
i hate when people ask for advice and a few people help out. some people will even type a lot. then the OP never shows again.
Oops... I've probably been guilty of this.

I'm new here, too and still learning!

Train the dog in front of you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:00 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggymom View Post
I do have to admit though, I have had responses to my questions asking for help that I haven't responded to. I usually always respond and say thank you and answer their questions. Sometimes though, if they respond after I think the thread has stop/died off (usually after a few days), I don't notice, because I stop checking after a while. I usually don't notice until I think it's too late to re-open the thread.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at in your original post, but responding to a thread a few days later isn't too late, and since the thread wasn't actually closed, you're not re-opening it by posting on it. You're just bumping it back into active topics, which is fine. Maybe someone who missed it the first time around because they only come on the board every few days or less will see it and have something to post.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I assumed I was rude if I replied after so many days of no one adding to the thread, so sometimes I wouldn't respond to things on my threads.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

The simple fact that you inquired about etiquette alone puts you light years ahead of me.

Super " I used a smiley thingy" G
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Crowned Member

Actually, a post started for cute stories or pictures, yeah, you started it, it is appropriate to come on and say something like, "Wow, what great stories! Thanks, these made my day."

But you don't have to respond to each one or every day. And you can give it up, even if the thread takes on a life of its own. That's up to you.

As for advice, not everyone comes on every day. Lots to do, all the time, and everyone is a GSD-junkie in different measures. So, responding days after the fact is fine. Sometimes, you can give a synopsis of what you are going to try, and then you can let the thread go for a while, and come back with how that worked.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page