Canadian Breeder Suggestion - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Canadian Breeder Suggestion

Looking for suggestions for Breeder. We are located in western Canada but are willing to ship from anywhere in Canada for the right puppy. Prefer not to import. We like working lines although the dog would be mostly a family companion/personal protection. Dog would need to be good with small children/other animals. We prefer black/black sable in color although demeanour is the most important. We also prefer the more strong boned types with blockout heads and straight backs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Master Member

I would highly recommend Canczech in B.C. They breed working lines and know what they produce. They don't have many breeding dogs and only breed a few litters a year, so you have to contact them and try to get in early on an upcoming litter. I got my male out of their Xly z Canczech and Bjori Soky-Pe. He is a lot of dog, but his littermate is calmer and less aggressive and is in a fall TV series on Apple TV called "See." All of their dogs are sable and they have frozen semen from a sable they breed to some.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

Be very careful. The breeders in Canada are largely well behind on health testing and there are only a handful that have working lines that I would even consider.
Von Tighe Haus in Ontario would be a start. And she will happily refer you to someone else if she has nothing that works for your needs. Stay away from anything in the west for working lines.
cvamoca likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Master Member

Canczech must be an exception regarding breeders in Western Canada. The owner has been breeding and working dogs for over 30 years. He is originally from the now Czech Republic and has contacts in Europe and travels to Europe at times looking at dogs. My dog's sire Xly, was sired by Corado z Vetrovej luky who was imported from Slovakia as a pup and turned into such a good producer, the Slovak National Police requested the owner of Canczech, send him back to Slovakia for multiple breedings and he has produced many dogs working for the Slovak National Police. The owner, Tony Nikl does one of the best jobs of exposing new pups to environmental stressors that I have seen. They are exposed to gunfire at a very early age and then increasingly louder gunfire as they mature. They are taught to eat off of a running ATV, and he even puts young pups in a small vest and sends them down a short zip line. While his dogs can be aggressive, they tend to have good discernment and are not sharp and reactive. Depending on the pup you get from a litter, some will need an experienced handler. As a pup, my mine was totally reckless and was not stop biting and there was no correcting or redirecting him out of it. He has matured into calm dog in the house and will come into drive in an instant, but is well controlled due to his training.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Canczech must be an exception regarding breeders in Western Canada. The owner has been breeding and working dogs for over 30 years. He is originally from the now Czech Republic and has contacts in Europe and travels to Europe at times looking at dogs. My dog's sire Xly, was sired by Corado z Vetrovej luky who was imported from Slovakia as a pup and turned into such a good producer, the Slovak National Police requested the owner of Canczech, send him back to Slovakia for multiple breedings and he has produced many dogs working for the Slovak National Police. The owner, Tony Nikl does one of the best jobs of exposing new pups to environmental stressors that I have seen. They are exposed to gunfire at a very early age and then increasingly louder gunfire as they mature. They are taught to eat off of a running ATV, and he even puts young pups in a small vest and sends them down a short zip line. While his dogs can be aggressive, they tend to have good discernment and are not sharp and reactive. Depending on the pup you get from a litter, some will need an experienced handler. As a pup, my mine was totally reckless and was not stop biting and there was no correcting or redirecting him out of it. He has matured into calm dog in the house and will come into drive in an instant, but is well controlled due to his training.
What's strange to me is that in spite of living in Alberta for 20+ years and searching exhaustively for a breeder in the region and speaking with breeders all over the country and working with trained dogs all over Alberta and into BC and speaking to members of the Alberta GSD club I had never heard of Canczech until I joined this forum.
If they are good, great. I personally would want to know about DM testing, cardiac, MDR1, eyes. No mention of older dogs so longevity would be a question and clearly the dogs do movie work but what are they like to actually share a house with. The OP is looking for a pet good with children and other animals, so prey/hunt drive would be a question. As well as clear headed with an off switch if kids are in the picture.
Breeder support since the OP sounds fairly new to the breed would also be key.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
All of their dogs are sable and they have frozen semen from a sable they breed to some.
Thank you for the suggestion! My concern with breedings using frozen semen is the potential for compromised gene integrity in the puppies, as well as being unable to visit the sire if we wished. There is a study looking at using frozen semen in horses and how it compromises gene integrity; the science would be the same in dogs.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Be very careful. The breeders in Canada are largely well behind on health testing and there are only a handful that have working lines that I would even consider.
Von Tighe Haus in Ontario would be a start. And she will happily refer you to someone else if she has nothing that works for your needs. Stay away from anything in the west for working lines.
Thank you for the information. I will look into that breeder. The dog would be exposed to a variety of animals large and small (horses, cows, cats, dogs etc), so would need to have little to no prey drive. It would also need to have a good off switch, good nerves, and medium drive overall. My partner grew up with GSDs, although we would be novice in raising a GSD puppy together. We definitely hope to dabble in events such as tracking/protection or whatever the dog showed strength in, but first priority is a family companion that would guard the home/family members.

What are your thoughts on Wendelin Farms?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
What's strange to me is that in spite of living in Alberta for 20+ years and searching exhaustively for a breeder in the region and speaking with breeders all over the country and working with trained dogs all over Alberta and into BC and speaking to members of the Alberta GSD club I had never heard of Canczech until I joined this forum.
If they are good, great. I personally would want to know about DM testing, cardiac, MDR1, eyes. No mention of older dogs so longevity would be a question and clearly the dogs do movie work but what are they like to actually share a house with. The OP is looking for a pet good with children and other animals, so prey/hunt drive would be a question. As well as clear headed with an off switch if kids are in the picture.
Breeder support since the OP sounds fairly new to the breed would also be key.
Same. I was just at the GSSCC National last month and not a single dog with a Canczech kennel name.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 PM
Knighted Member

Angelas, working dogs do NOT show in the GSDCC nationals!! You might find a few in the OB classes, but as a rule, it's mostly ASL line show dogs.

What amazed and saddened me when looking through the catalogue was the number of NON-GSDs who show in the OB classes at the nationals. And of course, none of the GSDs were the same ones showing in the conformation classes.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 PM

@ sunsilver .. Angelas was referring to the GSSCC .. which is the German Shepherd Schutzhund Club of Canada Nationals ... pretty sure there wasn’t a ASL competing as none qualified at any of the regional events in Canada . The host club does have Sieger show at the same event for the show line dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
angelas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page