German Shepherds Forum banner

Help narrowing down breeders near WA state

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've spent some time reading stickies and searching for threads on this forum, but I still need help. I live near Seattle and am starting my investigations into GSDs as a family pet and guardian. We live on 17 acres and are thinking a GSD could be a good deterrent and alarm when predators (coyotes, mountain lion, bobcat, black bear) or strange people come near us or our kids. We have a Border Terrier (15lbs), elderly lab, two kids (3yo and 11yo), and chickens that are always in a fully enclosed run unless we let them out for brief periods while we are out with them. We have experience training our lab in agility and citizenship, and are willing to train the GSD. Open to a puppy or adult, though my preference (all things being equal) is for an adult given that we already have one toddler to deal with! Thanks in advance for any help!

#7 ·
We live on 17 acres and are thinking a GSD could be a good deterrent and alarm when predators (coyotes, mountain lion, bobcat, black bear) or strange people come near us
I live on PNW property similar to yours. Please don’t expect a GSD will be able to be a good deterrent to a pack of coyotes or a cougar. (Black bears generally don’t pose a real risk).

A *guardian* dog would probably be a better option for you if this is really what you want, perhaps an Anatolian Shepherd.

If you have your heart set on a GSD, then he will just be a small part of a larger defense scheme, including fencing, bright lights, a surveillance camera system pointed outward (plus alarms and signage to deter most humans), neighbors working together, bear spray and most likely a shotgun if it gets to that point.

A GSD working solo doesn’t stand a chance against a cougar, pack of coyotes or an armed human.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.