Service Dog Breeders? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Service Dog Breeders?

Hi I am looking for a breeder preferably on the east coast (though willing to travel farther) that would be good for getting a perspective service puppy.

I currently own a male German Shepherd who is my current service dog and my first service dog was an Alaskan Malamute/Siberian Husky mix so I am aware of the training and exercise needs required. My current GSD (I adopted him from an abusive situation) is starting to show health issues that are probably going to lead to an early requirement.

For me, health and temperament are the most important. I need a very good work drive as well. We spend a lot of time around children, specifically between ages 2-6. My dog gets about 2 thirty minute walks/jogs a day on top of all the walking we do daily, we hike and bike on weekends. I have an agility course in my yard that we do daily as well as daily obedience and training, search games and about 1-2 hours of combined hardcore play. The easiest dogs to work with for Service Work are generally calm and focused when working.

I have stumbled across a few breeders. Southernwind Kennels, Tre'Good, and Cher Car. I have never gotten a GSD from a breeder so this is becoming very stressful for me, trying to figure out who to stay away from. I would love to know any recommended breeders or if anyone has any experience with any of the breeders I listed. I have had several people tell me to stay away from show lines and to only look at German Working Lines but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would check out Blackthorn in VA, Christine Kemper (member of this board). She is on FB and has a website though the latter was not up to day last I looked.
Sabis mom likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:57 AM

I have found and trained service dogs for people for many years. Here's my experience.

Do NOT get a puppy to train for service dog work. Puppies are a total crapshoot and I have never seen this work out. I made this mistake three times before I got smart. I'm sure it's worked for someone but the odds are against it.

You want a female that is at least a year old or a male that is at least 2 years old. By then, any issues with dog aggression will most likely have surfaced.

The so-called "working lines" are now the worst bet for service dog work. (Wasn't that way 30 years ago.) By and large, "working line" means the dog can do sport, not real world work. Insanely chase a flirt pole, you bet. Prance like an idiot looking at the handler without looking at where he is going, you bet. Lie quietly under a table during an office meeting for three hours, forget it. Wag his tail when a little kid bolts out of nowhere and pokes him in the eye, forget it.

The best dog I ever had was a German working lines GSD. But that was 30 years ago. Now you couldn't pay me to take most working line GSDs. (The reasons why this has happened to the breed is a whole different thread, which I will start someday when I have time.)

It takes a superdog to be a service dog. Forcing a dog to do this work when it is against his nature makes the dog miserable and can be dangerous to the public by making the dog unstable.

Thirty years ago, great GSDs were so common that I could find a good GSD service dog from a rescue group. No longer. I won't even look there anymore.

Lately I've had the best luck with the higher quality American showlines, from breeders who aim for kindhearted, stable, sweet, calm GSDs.

If you can afford it, you could get a GSD service dog from Mace's Malinois:

Breeder, Trainer & Seller of World Class Pedigree Belgian Malinois, German Shepherds, Dutch Shepherds & Miniature Australian Shepherds. Puppies, Trained Protection Dogs and Service Dogs

Most "service dog" breeders are scammers, but this guy does seem to to know what he is doing.

Good luck!
gsdsteve likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

I would highly recommend Sitz von der Hose. She has vast experience with breeding service dogs.
Sabis mom likes this.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I usually advise people to find a service dog trainer and then get them to help with selection. Depending on what service work you need, and I would discuss that with the trainer and breeder, any stable, well bred GSD might work.
I don't know why a WL wouldn't do.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would highly recommend Sitz von der Hose. She has vast experience with breeding service dogs.
I checked out her facebook page--couldn't find a single service dog in several months of posts. Just sport dogs, including a fine pic of one of her GSDs prancing like an idiot looking at his handler without paying any attention to where he's going. The dog could walk right off a cliff. Great guide dog potential, eh?

One of the reviews says she used to work at Fidelco, which breeds and trains guide dogs. If true, she had experience with guide dogs in the past.

But her current interest, judging from her facebook posts, is sport dogs. And one of her puppy videos shows exactly the type of landshark prey-drive freaks that are disasters as potential service dogs.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a sport dog. There's a lot wrong with telling folks that sport dogs make great service dogs.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:35 AM

Lol, your post made me laugh. Not because it was comical, yet rather arrogant. I’ll start off with: all puppies are ‘ landshark freaks’ especially shepherds. that thing you mentioned about the staring at the handler is called ‘heeling’ which is something very important to train those dogs, and service dogs as well. It puts all focus on the handler and on no one else... seems very good for a service dog yeah? Children screaming in the isle wanting to pet the dog? Nope. Full focus on handler, none on children.
As long as these driven dogs get their energy out and have a job which can be * cough cough * service work * cough cough * they will be fine. I doubt jax or whoever was implying that a energetic dog is good for service work, but this breeder breeds level headed, smart, CONFIDENT dogs which is very important for that sort of work.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 01:29 AM
Administrator

I’m not commenting on the breeder in question, because I’ve never owned one of their dogs.

But I will comment to dispel the myth that dogs out of Schutzhund/IPO/IGP parentage are inherently nuts. A few years ago I took one of my dogs (National level IPO3 x National level IPO3) on a road trip where I was commissioned to deliver hardscapes, assemble them, and provide professional architectural services. After being dragged across the entire latitude of this country, my dog hopped out of my truck (in the middle of the night) and hung out with children in an orphanage while I got myself situated and set myself up for my remote office.

Don’t. Generalize.
Jax08 and Sunsilver like this.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennaandkurama View Post
Lol, your post made me laugh. Not because it was comical, yet rather arrogant.
Arrogant is when folks who have never used or trained a service dog prattle on about their fantasies about what makes a good service dog.

Quote:
I’ll start off with: all puppies are ‘ landshark freaks’ especially shepherds.
All puppies? You've really seen all puppies in the world? Nope. I've known plenty of GSD puppies who were not landshark freaks, although these are getting harder to find.

Quote:
that thing you mentioned about the staring at the handler is called ‘heeling’ which is something very important to train those dogs, and service dogs as well. It puts all focus on the handler and on no one else... seems very good for a service dog yeah?
Nope. Another fantasy. That's sport dog heeling, and you won't see a real service dog doing that kind of nonsense. Part of a service dog's job is to pay attention to his surroundings. Real world heeling consists of walking calmly at the handler's side looking ahead and around him. When a service dog and his disabled handler function well as a team, verbal and touch cues are all that are needed. The dog does not and should not be staring nonstop at his handler.

When I have asked working line GSD breeders whether their dogs are suitable for, say, mobility assistance dog work, they often claim they are. When I then ask if their dogs could lie quietly under a table for 3 hours, they are shocked at the idea that their dogs could be expected to do such a thing. Typical responses: "Uh no, these are high drive dogs." "Oh, my dogs are way too high octane for that!" "What! These are sport dogs! You can't expect them to do something like that!"

I am way too busy training real dogs for real world work to argue with people about their fantasies of what it's like to train and work with service dogs. So this is my last post on this subject. I do think it is thoroughly rotten to harm disabled people who are seeking a service dog by giving them misinformed advice based on ignorance.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:49 AM

LOL! Silly. I’ve met a few people who have sport dogs as sds as well, who could sit patiently on a 9 hour plane trip. A good service dog should Be alert of their surroundings[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] I never said otherwise. But it should not be paying attention to a child wanting to pet it! You completely went over what I was implying. I’d hope you wouldn’t have any more to say on this subject, as you’re clearly oblivious

Last edited by Kennaandkurama; 07-06-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page