Frustrated with finding a breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Frustrated with finding a breeder

I am in NE Ohio and have been looking for the right breeder for some time now. I'm becoming increasingly disappointed with what's out there in my state and wonder if anybody can point me in the direction of a reputable breeder. I'm looking for a male, stockier body type with straight topline and no angulation to the back/hips. Preferably from working lines with mild/moderate prey drive. I've been looking for months and I still haven't found a puppy. I just visited a breeder in the Columbus area and after meeting them, I declined putting a deposit down on a puppy. I won't name names... but I wish I would have read this site before wasting a day driving all the way down there for nothing. I'm open to suggestions and referrals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:50 PM
Knighted Member

There is no such thing as 'no angulation' to the back and hips! There is over-angulation, moderate angulation and under angulation. Under angulation - hind legs that are quite straight - is most often seen in dogs like terriers, greyhounds and other sight hounds. It's not typical of German shepherds.

I assume you are looking for a dog with moderate angulation. Try looking at working line kennels. Most show line dogs, whether German show line or America, have rather extreme angulation.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 07-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:14 PM

Working line with mild drive.. good luck! lol

N-Blitz Von Schneiden Fels
DOB: 7/19/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Vom Haus Weinbrand GSDs

Vom Haus Weinbrand is in Ohio. She is very picky about temperament (has kids) and, I think, she has a litter due soon or already on the ground. She lives with her dogs and works and titles them herself.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Why does it have to be in your state? Broaden your area of search. And yes, some workingline pups have moderate drive.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzTheGSD View Post
Working line with mild drive.. good luck! lol
I mean... that's my dog lol.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Why does it have to be in your state? Broaden your area of search. And yes, some workingline pups have moderate drive.
Because I want to be able to meet the breeder and see the dogs before buying and don't have all the time in the world to travel around and do this. I just visited a place 2.5 hours from me and I'd never purchase a dog from the breeder. No wonder he usually ships his dogs. Probably doesn't want people to see the state of his home/property and the behavior of the dogs on site. There's no reason I can't find a good dog in my own state.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
I mean... that's my dog lol.
Exactly. I've owned 3 that were exactly this and that's what I'm looking for again.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Administrator

It looks like there are events in Ohio coming up this month and next, in your state.

If you're looking at working lines in your area, these events will give you an opportunity to see a number of them in one place at one time.

https://www.germanshepherddog.com/re...19&cm=07&re=me
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi Hetzel View Post
I just visited a place 2.5 hours from me and I'd never purchase a dog from the breeder. No wonder he usually ships his dogs. Probably doesn't want people to see the state of his home/property and the behavior of the dogs on site. There's no reason I can't find a good dog in my own state.

I've purchased dogs from the west coast to the east coast. I would never buy a dog without seeing the premises and the bitch and sire. That usually means driving or flying out to inspect and then going back out there to get the dog (flying out the second time is usually cheaper than shipping by dog by himself; you can certainly do it either way).

I talk to the breeder on the phone and online extensively before I visit. Do we have the same priorities and philosophies? Is the breeder's reason for bringing more dogs into the world in harmony with my values? (Are they're trying to improve the breed vs just out to make money? If so, can they articulate exactly how they're doing that?) I check references. Essentially, they're applying for the job, and I'm just as picky as if I'm hiring them to be a nanny because they're putting a pup in my house for a decade or longer.

You may have to go out of state. Yeah, it's a hassle, but you'll have a good dog for 10-12+ years if everything goes well. For me, it's worth the expense to drive or fly out there. A $500 plane ticket breaks down to an extra $50 per year if the dog lives 10 years. Definitely worth it to me.

Maybe Ohio has what you need. Maybe it doesn't. My guess is that you won't know until you look beyond Ohio's borders. Look and see what's available in the midwest or even better, nationwide. Then decide if you can find that in Ohio. Don't limit yourself right now.

4K9Mom
formerly 3K9Mom
middleofnowhere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page