Recommended Breeders and some questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes
  • 7 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Recommended Breeders and some questions

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to plan for a puppy late 2019 or early 2020 and have been doing research for months, but there is not a lot of information out there when it comes to breeders. I own a very difficult adopted GSD, so I am familiar with the breed and all of their attributes, but this would be my first working line dog and my first time with IGP/IPO/Schutzhund. I am looking for a stable, well-mannered dog that would be suitable as both a working dog and companion. My spouse is not into dog sports at all, and we definitely would appreciate a dog that is both a part of the family and a competitive dog for me as well. After adopting an irresponsibly bred GSD, I value stable temperament and soundness in a dog.

I have talked to one breeder, and I was super stoked about their dogs, but the conversation didn't seem to go well. They didn't seem super receptive to talking with me about their dogs and program, and told me to contact them later in the year in regards to upcoming litters and being placed on a waiting list. I felt like a huge dummy when talking to them. It really threw me off and I didn't even ask any of the questions I had prewritten out.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed and discouraged with finding a good breeder. IPO isn't super popular here, so I don't know if I should ask at the club for recommendations, or if I should trust them since I don't even know how good the club is. My biggest fear is ending up with an ill-tempered dog completely unsuitable for IPO. There are other dog sports of course, but I would be a little bummed.

I'm hoping to get some tips on which breeders to look out for in the US. Location doesn't matter. Also, I see that a lot of people are breeding females titled only in IPO1... is that standard practice? I have always wondered why so few females are titled past IPO1... wouldn't you want to hold the same performance standards to the female as you do males? I know it makes it more complicated with heat cycles, but any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Elite Member

You might get more traffic on your post if you go to the "Choosing A breeder" section and state your wants and needs there. It's exciting picking a puppy! Just get some recommendations and do your research. Ask for video of the sire, dam, and other progeny doing their phases of IGP if you want to compete. People who are confident and have good dogs are usually proud to share evidence of their dogs accomplishments, and honest about their weak spots.

I have seen quite a few litters lately of well known pairings who have made their accomplishments out in the open for all to see (either in protection sport or from kennels who place LEO, SAR dogs etc) Can't think of the names off the top of my head since I just got a pup it was only a blip on my radar. But ask in that section I mentioned. You will get some good leads

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I moved your thread so you don't need to start another.

As far as your questions: What part of the country are you in? Local clubs can be a very good place to learn about breeders and where to look for prospective puppies. I say "can be" because sometimes clubs are run by people that want to sell their own pups and their pups will be the "only good ones". Other clubs will help you find the best pup for you no matter if the pup is local or not. So, it does seem to depend on the club.

The SchH/IPO/IGP1 is the breeding title and the only title required for the breed survey (IPO1 plus hips/elbows plus conformation rating and AD) and for breeding. Some people just throw the 1 on the dog and move on to breeding. Others do more (especially the working line people). This is where experience comes into the picture because an experienced buyer can look at the female and look past her titles and see dog. Just because a dog has a 3 doesn't mean they are breed worthy. Some breeders breed their females after the one and then move onto putting the 2 and 3 on their female before their next litter. Hope that answers your question.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks!

I am in the North Texas area. I am planning on going out to our local club, but like I said, I just don't even know who to trust since I am new to all of this. I guess breeder location wouldn't matter I just want a dog that is both a companion and IPO/IGP candidate. It'd be my first go at dog sports, so I don't need something insanely intense or off the walls high drive, but I do appreciate working dog mentality. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things! Thanks for taking the time to respond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page