Utah/CA Breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sit,stay
  • 1 Post By Jenny720
  • 1 Post By Safari64

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Utah/CA Breeders

I have four kids, age 7-12. We are pretty active and love going for walk, parks, playing outdoors and now hiking.

My children will be involved with the dog all the way through. My youngest had an incident with my in laws Labrador, a young pup at the time, and she was bitten. She still loves dogs and has been involved with the Lab and it now listens to her really well and is extremely gentle with her. My kids are fairly calm and quiet, but they can get noisy and excited.

I am just trying to give you an overall view of the household. I think something balanced with good focus and drive but able to turn it off after training and playing. I don't anticipate on pursuing any titles, but my children may have that drive. I am looking for a companion to join the team. I think the sight of the dog will be a natural deterrent to crime, but I am not looking for a protection dog.

This would be my first German Shepherd as an adult. I used to have a couple when I was very young and then we had Cocker Spaniels. I haven't had a dog since being an adult, as I have been in apartments.

I have probably missed some things here and there, but feel free to ask me anything. I probably wont be ready for a pup until mid summer or sometime after that. I am not in a hurry.

I have emailed the Utah GSD Schutzhunde Club to see if they could recommend local reputable breeders. The contact there let me know they were a breeder but didn't list any other breeders in the area. I also have family in Southern California, so if there is a better recommended breeder there, feel free to pass on their info in here.

vom haus Denfors

I have also looked at:

vom haus Theishof

I haven't seen any prices listed on their websites.
Here are some other sites I am looking into. I can't really tell, because of my inexperience and the stance, whether a lot of these dogs have a back that has too much curve. Obviously going for hikes will put a toll on a back that happens to be out of the norm.

staeheligermanshepherds
delconosur
edelmannkennels
midnightgermanshepherds (breeding for black, color isn't really an issue for me)
majicforest (breeding for long coat, I would prefer a short coat)

Sorry for this long post, and the lack of links, I need 3 posts before I can add links. I am hoping someone has heard about some of these breeders or had experience with them. I am going to continue to look at them and elsewhere, but I would feel much more comfortable with a word of mouth addition. Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Mei
Master Member

In Utah, contact the Malinois Foundation aka Dog Training Elite. They'll for sure know some reputable breeders in the wasatch front.

Oh, and I haven't heard good things about that shutzhund business you already contacted. Very stuck up people. Seems like they wont spend the time with you and the GSD unless they're from an amazing pedigree or from them. Not surprised they didn't recommend any. I'm sure they have good qualities too but I'm turned off from them.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018

Last edited by Mei; 05-01-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 PM
Knighted Member

I have met many Theishof dogs and they have all been great dogs. Heidi Theis knows her dogs, and trains and competes them herself. I recommend her. She always has a waiting list and will match the pup to you. You would probably have to wait a while.

I have met a couple of Majic Forest dogs and they have been nice companions. Their owners say they got what they wanted: lower drive pets that have decent health clearances.

I don't know any of the other breeders or their dogs.
Sheilah
Spetzio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Knighted Member

I can't comment on all the breeders you listed, but after meeting and watching Heidi Theis judge an IPO trial (from Vom Haus Theishof), I can't recommend her highly enough! She's awesome, and if she doesn't or can't produce the puppy you're after, she'll be an invaluable resource in locating someone who can!

Best of luck in your search!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Crowned Member

Was the lab puppy teething a lot of puppies bite in a playful way. I just remember my sister n law thought my King Charles cavalier bit her when she was a young puppy but she was just playing a very young pup and my sister n law was not convinced. She was around one dog her entire life. Lol. Gsd puppies are land sharks look into the land shark thread so you are aware of the land shark puppy behavior in gsd puppies. a lot of redirecting with toys are necessary. I have woken up to pour a cup of coffee early morning when feeling sharp little gsd puppy teeth on the back of my calf and not in a malicious way- when young puppies. I don’t know Theishoff dogs personally but when we were doing the German shepherd searches she was someone I was Interested in. I would recommend her. She may take some time getting back to you but would be worth it. Breeders do ship but it is part of the fun to go down meet the breeder and dogs.
tc68 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 05-02-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Elite Member

Are you willing to cast your net a little farther and have a puppy flown in from a highly recommended breeder? I think people here will be better able to tell you about more good possible breedings planned for you if you broadened the area. I just had a puppy flown in from Houston to NJ. It was my first time flying a dog and I was uneasy, but he was fine. A lot of people fly puppies in from overseas too. It cost me 343.00 to fly him from Houston. Not a huge expense when you are investing in a well bred dog anyway.

Also Southwest lets you fly in cabin with them at 8 weeks old. I didn't have any carriers that flew direct NJ/Houston and allowed them at 8 weeks in cabin. So he went cargo

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 PM

I don't have any personal experience with any of the breeders you have listed, but Theishof has a good reputation.

From personal experience, I would recommend maybe looking into

Camilla Hart at Sentinel Harts in the Bay area

SentinelHarts German Shepherds

or

Megan at Aus Dem Tal, no website but an active Facebook Page and very receptive to communication through Facebook. She is in the Bakersfield area.

There are a lot of good breeders in California, these are 2 that I have happened to meet and see some of their dogs. Either one would be able to match you with a good, active, companion puppy.

Best of luck, I know that it can be a challenge to find the right fit!

Sawyer BH-GSD
Jax BH-GSD
Oldriska z Weberhaus BH "Risk" 5/16/16
Seismic z Weberhaus "Viggo" 5/20/17
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Wow, such a great response from so many. Thank you everyone for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
In Utah, contact the Malinois Foundation aka Dog Training Elite. They'll for sure know some reputable breeders in the wasatch front.

Oh, and I haven't heard good things about that shutzhund business you already contacted. Very stuck up people. Seems like they wont spend the time with you and the GSD unless they're from an amazing pedigree or from them. Not surprised they didn't recommend any. I'm sure they have good qualities too but I'm turned off from them.

Thanks Mei! I sent both the Malinois Foundation and Dog Training Elite separate contacts. They each had a website so I shot them both a message last night. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
I have met many Theishof dogs and they have all been great dogs. Heidi Theis knows her dogs, and trains and competes them herself. I recommend her. She always has a waiting list and will match the pup to you. You would probably have to wait a while.

I have met a couple of Majic Forest dogs and they have been nice companions. Their owners say they got what they wanted: lower drive pets that have decent health clearances.

I don't know any of the other breeders or their dogs.
Sheilah

Awesome. I sent Theishof a message of inquiry a couple of days ago. I haven't heard back yet, but I suspect they are pretty busy at any given moment. Raising pups and training and I think I saw something about a seminar on their Facebook. Not a lot of time left for questions.

I was looking at Majic Forest a bit. Does it matter that they don't have titled dogs? I just checked and her dogs are $1800-5000. That is quite a bit. Long hairs are not my preferred, but I will keep them in mind as I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I can't comment on all the breeders you listed, but after meeting and watching Heidi Theis judge an IPO trial (from Vom Haus Theishof), I can't recommend her highly enough! She's awesome, and if she doesn't or can't produce the puppy you're after, she'll be an invaluable resource in locating someone who can!

Best of luck in your search!

Thank you. I am leaning towards Heidi. I am not in a big hurry at the moment. Does anyone know her price range? You can PM me with it if you don't feel comfortable posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Was the lab puppy teething a lot of puppies bite in a playful way. I just remember my sister n law thought my King Charles cavalier bit her when she was a young puppy but she was just playing a very young pup and my sister n law was not convinced. She was around one dog her entire life. Lol. Gsd puppies are land sharks look into the land shark thread so you are aware of the land shark puppy behavior in gsd puppies. a lot of redirecting with toys are necessary. I have woken up to pour a cup of coffee early morning when feeling sharp little gsd puppy teeth on the back of my calf and not in a malicious way- when young puppies. I donít know Theishoff dogs personally but when we were doing the German shepherd searches she was someone I was Interested in. I would recommend her. She may take some time getting back to you but would be worth it. Breeders do ship but it is part of the fun to go down meet the breeder and dogs.

I am not sure if the Lab was teething, it was over a year ago. My daughter had been around him previously with no problem and I didn't see it happen. I had just gotten to their house right after it happened. She has been patient with him since and no lasting fears. I guess I didn't need to mention it. We have been adamant about an adult needing to be around the dog and kids at all times. It isn't fair to the kid or the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Are you willing to cast your net a little farther and have a puppy flown in from a highly recommended breeder? I think people here will be better able to tell you about more good possible breedings planned for you if you broadened the area. I just had a puppy flown in from Houston to NJ. It was my first time flying a dog and I was uneasy, but he was fine. A lot of people fly puppies in from overseas too. It cost me 343.00 to fly him from Houston. Not a huge expense when you are investing in a well bred dog anyway.

Also Southwest lets you fly in cabin with them at 8 weeks old. I didn't have any carriers that flew direct NJ/Houston and allowed them at 8 weeks in cabin. So he went cargo

Thanks. That isn't a bad price to fly. I am willing to cast my net farther on heavy recommendations from multiple people, as long as the price with the flight doesn't get too crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploss View Post
I don't have any personal experience with any of the breeders you have listed, but Theishof has a good reputation.

From personal experience, I would recommend maybe looking into

Camilla Hart at Sentinel Harts in the Bay area
(Can't post a link yet)

or

Megan at Aus Dem Tal, no website but an active Facebook Page and very receptive to communication through Facebook. She is in the Bakersfield area.

There are a lot of good breeders in California, these are 2 that I have happened to meet and see some of their dogs. Either one would be able to match you with a good, active, companion puppy.

Best of luck, I know that it can be a challenge to find the right fit!

The Bay area is pretty far. Even Bakersfield is far, but her dogs are gorgeous. I will look into Aus Dem Tal some more and try to establish contact.
Mei likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
I was looking at Majic Forest a bit. Does it matter that they don't have titled dogs? I just checked and her dogs are $1800-5000. That is quite a bit. Long hairs are not my preferred, but I will keep them in mind as I go.
That higher end price is more than I would pay, considering they are supplying the pet market almost exclusively. I believe they health test?

Theishof would probably start at Majic Forest's mid-range. She really would be my go-to breeder.
Sheilah
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

I looked into Majik Forest when I was looking for a long hair and saw several things that would not work for me. The dogs are very large. They are solid and big boned. I watched some of their videos and the adult dogs didnít move much in the videos. They also co-own with people in other states, so the dogs you see in the pictures might be on the east coast. They seem to be more like Golden temperaments. They have some very pretty dogs, which I liked, but overall, I wanted more of a sport dog with more energy. I have some more information that I canít post on the forum. Feel free to PM me if you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page