Looking for... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Looking for...

My current service dog is heading on 7 years old and I need to start thinking about a puppy. My past two have been rottweilers (working dog lines) but this time around I would like to go with a gsd because they are more biddable and I am getting older. I am located in NC. I would love to find someone close enough to visit and get to know but I'm willing to fly in a puppy from a breeder who can be trusted.
Would you guys be kind enough to suggest a few kennels I could start with? I have been looking on and off for two years but haven't found anything or anyone I feel comfortable with and I just honestly need some recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

P.s.

One kennel I am looking at is Mittlewest. Has anyone ever acquired a dog from them? Or can you share any experiences with dogs from their kennel? Thank you
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have never met the Mittlewest owner. She breeds a lot and has produced a lot of good dogs and some not as good. Many happy owners and some not so happy. Very common for a large breeder. You will pay a significant amount of money for one of her puppies.

Have you looked at Blackthorn Kennels in VA? Her website is not updated, but she has a big presence on FB. Christine Kemper. Many years of experience.
Welcome to Blackthorn Working German Shepherds

Wildhaus kennels in MI. You will have to get on a waiting list, probably, but another very experienced breeder.
(Wildhaus Kennels, Working German Shepherd Breeder in Michigan)

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:37 PM

if you use Facebook I'd look at https://www.facebook.com/haus.morrisson/ I've been "watching" her latest litter from day one (ok, even before) and I am very impressed with the great start she gives these pups well before going to their new homes.
They are in MD

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:07 PM

I would stay very far from mittelwest. I knew the owner and that’s all I’m going to say. I’ve seen numerous dogs from her breedings and temperament and health can be a big issue. Her prices are insane. 3500-4000 for a puppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Blackthorne is breeding for a versatile middle of the road dog with decent structure and looks...she has several litters a year and for what you need, I think you will not need to go much further

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I am partial to a West German style of dog. I am looking at My BodyGuard kennels. They have a lot of dogs that I find appealing (in looks). They are farther away than I want, but if the dogs are worth it, I'm willing to go.
There is a kennel almost in my back yard, West German shepherds. I might look into them as well. Any input on either kennel is welcome.

I did talk to Mittlewest. Well at least I tried to talk to them. The person who answered the phone might have been having a bad day, but they made me feel like I was a nuisance for asking about their puppies. If I'm paying that much for a puppy I'd at least like a more welcoming demeanor. So I scratched them off my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in