Looking for a show lines GSD near Pittsburgh, Pa - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a show lines GSD near Pittsburgh, Pa

Hi, I'm looking for a low energy pup from a reputable breeder near me. Will not be shown, just a pet, but definitely want a dog with good breeding and a loving first couple months. Willing to travel up to 8-10 hours. Suggestions?

Thanks, Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:45 PM
Master Member

I'm more of a working lines person, but I've heard lots of good things about Beth at Hollow Hills. She breeds show lines and is in Pennsylvania, so fits your criteria in those aspects. Not sure about 'low energy' ... all GSDs are active dogs, so I guess it's a matter of low energy in comparison to what?

I believe there are at least a few people on the forum who either have, or have had experience with dogs from Hollow Hills, so they would be the best people to talk to. Hopefully they will chime in here. You can contact Hollow Hills here - http://hollowhillsgsd.com/ and talk to them directly as well.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check them out. Yes, I do realize that GSDs are working dogs and by "low energy" I meant compared to crazy high drive working lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

High drive and high energy are not the same thing. My show line is one of the highest energy dogs I have ever owned but he does not have the drive of my working line dogs.
tc68, Jax08 and CometDog like this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

I've seen both high and low energy in Beth's breedings. You just need to let her know what you want. Personally, I would want medium energy with balanced drives. It's hard to train a dog with low food drive and focus. You want a dog that can settle in the house, both of my working lines with high drives are great in the house.

As MAWL posted above...drive and energy are very different beasts.

There is also a nice show line litter happening in NH if you are interested. I really like the drive on these dogs and many have been placed in pet homes and service homes. Let me know if you want more info. The breeder does travel to State College at times so....
CometDog likes this.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 AM

I don't know much about the reputation of Valentine Kennels (up in the Poconos) or what people think of them, but when I was looking for a puppy, I was seriously considering them. Their dogs are gorgeous...absolute stunners IMHO. I like that long haired look. At the end of the day, I decided to go with a working line dog because I like the "straight" back GSDs as opposed to the sloped angular look. No offense to those who like them, it's just my preference.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

Kirchenwald is near you too. I don't know anything about them other than they are a USCA club so must work their dogs. I would definitely start there.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Master Member

I would recommend Vom haus Huro (German Shepherds vom haus Huro). They are in Missouri, about a 10 hour drive from you, and they also ship. I know several people who have dogs from Jen and they are amazing. She breeds West German Showlines and produces everything from high drive working dogs (one of the few WGSL breeders who breeds legit working dogs, works and titles her dogs and her dogs can hold their own against working lines), to medium drive family companions and service dogs. She takes the time to learn what you want and will match you with a puppy for your needs. Definitely check her out.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I've seen both high and low energy in Beth's breedings. You just need to let her know what you want. Personally, I would want medium energy with balanced drives. It's hard to train a dog with low food drive and focus. You want a dog that can settle in the house, both of my working lines with high drives are great in the house.

As MAWL posted above...drive and energy are very different beasts.

There is also a nice show line litter happening in NH if you are interested. I really like the drive on these dogs and many have been placed in pet homes and service homes. Let me know if you want more info. The breeder does travel to State College at times so....
Yes, I'd definitely be interested in more information about that litter, thanks!

Also thanks to everyone about the distinction between drive and energy. Definitely am not looking for a high energy pup at this point in life.
CometDog likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all suggestions. Will be checking out all mentioned kennels.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page