German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

feedback on true haus and weberhaus breeders and pups please

25K views 90 replies 26 participants last post by  Seer 
#1 ·
Hi GSD friends!

I am considering getting a pup from true haus or weberhaus. Due to location, I may not be able to visit both or either in person. There aren't great working line breeders in my area :(

I've talked with both Cindy and Melinda and both seem really great so it is a hard choice.

I have experience with working line GSDs and looking to get a new family member. The dog will be an active family pet but we will do schutzhund and dock sports as well, just not competitively. I am NOT looking for a sport only dog. I want the dog to be well rounded and stable and healthy.

I know there are threads related to these folks but I am looking for well rounded feedback. Please feel free to PM me. I just want to make sure that I have an accurate picture of what I am getting into.

Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate you taking the time!

#2 ·
I have one of each. It’s like comparing apples and elephants.

Allow me to preface this by saying I am not a GSD noob; I’ve logged in 30+ years so far, always with multiple GSDs including a few former police K9s.

In retrospect, I should have made a run for it when we got to Jim and Cindy’s and met our pup’s mom.

My True Haus pup is four now; he’s had a lot of problems. He is out of Gina/Esko; that’s a good match, on paper. He *should* be a decent working dog. He’s not.

Gina is a non stop, nuisance barker, and the pup inherited that. It was a nightmare to fix.

The pup was always very difficult, absolutely no handler sensitivity or willingness. But, don’t mistake that for true hardness. It isn’t.

I used to take him for nice long walks early in the morning, but got tired of a 30 minute workout and wrestling match just getting a leash on him.

This renders him virtually untrainable without compulsion, despite plenty of good work in early puppyhood.

His food drive is zip much of the time; same with toy drive.

He was extremely destructive, actually still is, given the opportunity.

So, are you thinking that, in exchange for tolerating all of this, at least I got a good working prospect? Think again. He wanted no part of training and showed zero drive on the field. He broke my arm in two places trying to run away from our helper (one of the best helpers in the sport).

I have worked with four different trainers, IPO/K9 pros all. Pointless. Nobody has moved the needle a hair.

He doesn’t bond like a normal dog. He’s just cray. He may just as well be from a different planet.

To his credit, he is social with humans, not other dogs.

Luckily, my husband seems to have formed some kind of relationship with the guy.

Hubby is the second adult in the household that this dog sent to the ER. The pup body slammed hubs off an embankment in the yard, causing a significant knee injury.

And the cherry on top of the parfait? His hips are terrible.

I could have returned him, but to what end? Another puppy? No thanks.

As for Weberhaus—I am titling Malinda my Breeder-for-Life.

My first Weberhaus pup is two now and he is a complete joy. Super smart, nice drives, an elite athlete, easily trainable, happy, outgoing, willing, loving, affectionate, excellent house dog, super social, dog friendly, everything you could ever ask for. And handsome, too.

These kinds of dogs put the lie to the myth that good working dogs are unmanageable in the house. Nonsense. Good working dogs have “off” switches.

We have not done his hips/elbows yet. But, he is such a gazelle/mountain goat hybrid, this does not keep me up at night.

On Saturday, we’re picking up our second Weberhaus pup. She is a full sister to our beloved Raff. She was returned to Malinda for stupid reasons and we leapt at the chance to get her.

Stay tuned for the inevitable adventures of Weberhaus pup 3, 4, et al.

There is no comparison. Malinda breeds for the specific purpose of preserving old, precious foundation lines from what is now the Czech Republic (and East Germany; lots of border shifting). You could search the entire planet for another breeder who is truthfully breeding 100% Czech, top and bottom.

The breeder support is extraordinary. Malinda is always there for you. She knows her dogs. She trains, she loves to train. Good trainers are the best breeders. Malinda titles. She trains K9s.

Weberhaus dogs are outstanding. I would not hesitate to recommend this kennel to anyone. And I have, many times.

Weberhaus has a Facebook presence, there are a lot of people very, very happy with their dogs.

#3 · (Edited)
Interesting...never heard anything negative about about true haus...But I didn't dig in alot since I knew who I was going with early on in my search.

Have head excellent things about Malinda. OP, looks like you got a great answer. Good luck. Another breeder to consider is Wildhaus.

#6 ·
My Weberhaus pup is almost 18 months now. She is my second IPO dog, sixth GSD.

She is by far the most stable dog I have had to date.

SUPER drives for work, intense toy drive and food drive is almost as intense. Naturally engaging and like I said, super stable.

She is a tough girl with tones of sass and attitude but happy to work with me.

I could not be happier with my girl. Malinda is always engaging, knows her lines, helps with training and uber supportive.

Wildhaus is another great choice. A friend is bringing a pup home from Chris this summer.

I know three true haus dogs, all different ages and litters and I am not a fan.

Reactions: raff
#12 ·
@Seer. While I agree that papers are not the whole story they are still nice to have. And the registration is part of the dog's record and identity. Any traction on getting Ranger's registration resolved? Asking for a friend.

I too am following posts regarding breeder feedback with interest as I am shopping for another addition to my home. Although I like the dog I have and he is everything he is supposed to be I can't recommend his breeder or return to him comfortably due to outstanding issues from the sale transaction two years on. Principles ya know.

#13 ·
I've heard mixed reviews on Truehaus but havent actually talked to them so I can't say anything on that in all honesty.

As far as Weberhaus goes, my guy is great and I've met several other Weberhaus dogs who have all been super stable and want to work. My guy is out of Malinda's T-litter. He's got a nice alphabet soup attached to him and we're still going. He's one of the best dogs I've ever known. He's an excellent travel buddy, learns and retains quickly and wants nothing more than to be with me and do anything I ask of him. He's great with kids, other animals, not reactive at all. He is ready to go whenever I am, gives his all, and settles beautifully. I would not hesitate to go back to Malinda for another pup. The trip is well worth it. She is supportive and knows her dogs.

#14 · (Edited)
I have a 15 week old Weberhaus pup from Malinda's H3 litter and could not be happier with him! I approached Malinda looking for a PSA prospect and told her what I was looking for and did she deliver! Bash is sharp as a whip with toy and prey drive for days! He catches on to new OB skills within minutes and responds extremely well to free shaping, which makes him think and figure stuff out. At 15 weeks he already has a really nice focus heel position down, understands several OB commands and we're already working on retrieve.

At club, he's fantastic! He has a nice firm and full grip, and the other day the TD was doing rag work with him and was dragging Bash over people and cans and bite suits and the little monster would not let go. He also was jumping and climbing over obstacles to get to the rag, all with tons of people and barking dogs around. He's going to be an awesome working dog and I'm just praying I'm a decent enough handler for him.

Haven't seen his off switch yet because, well, he's a puppy. Lol! But I'm not concerned, I'm sure it's there and will come with age. He can be very social and affectionate and is always looking for something to bite or do, but when it's time to train he switches into work and focus mode, waiting for me to lead.

He has hardness (which I wanted) but it's not aggressive, and I know that as long as I'm fair with him he will respond well. He's a thinker and likes to figure things out, very intelligent and responsive to his handler. I'm really excited about his future!

Also, a bit less important, he's insanely handsome. Going to be a beautiful dog.

Would recommend Malinda 200%!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Just for fun, here is my Weberhaus pup’s pedigree; and, by extrapolation, Tom’s.

Perhaps Seer can help me by pointing to the W German dogs. Of course, if we want to get technica , *all* GSDs are W German, if we track back far enough. We can go all the way back to Horand.

As we all of a certain age may recall, East Germany only existed from 1949-1990 and the relationships among Czech and E German border agents are of significance.

Thoughts on this pedigree?

Also something of great interest to me is Tom’s working title, the SVV1. It’s a police dog title; he was a working K9 in the Czech Republic. There is precious little information about this title. According to Malinda, it goes on for several days and is extremely rigorous. I have not had much success finding any details about the tests.

So, is anyone familiar with the Czech SVVV?

I don’t know how many of you are aware, but Tom is now lost to us. He died a few months ago now. I believe bloat stole him. It was a real gut punch. So sad, so awful, such a loss. I think about him all the time.

Fortunately, Malinda has frozen semen.

I am so grateful to have my Tom kid. And Tom kid number two on her way here as we speak.

Attachments

#40 ·
Just for fun, here is my Weberhaus pup’s pedigree; and, by extrapolation, Tom’s.

Perhaps Seer can help me by pointing to the W German dogs. Of course, if we want to get technica , *all* GSDs are W German, if we track back far enough. We can go all the way back to Horand.
Not Seer, but I can help - You literally need to go only one more generation beyond what the paper pedigree shows to see the West German and DDR dogs show up, in not only the sire but the dam as well. Search the dogs on Pedigree Database if you'd like to see for yourself.

To the topic of the original conversation, I haven't heard enough about True Haus to really give any advice. I've heard tons of good things about Weberhaus, though, so between the two, I'd vote Weberhaus ... regardless of "Pure Czech/DDR" or not.

#25 · (Edited)

Attachments

#26 ·
Raff really not understanding anything you wrote on the other comment (champion) so moving on from that. When reading a pedigree just look for the different designation or registry. Its easier if you do this off paper. So the pdb if its working that day might be wiser. To be clear once again I don’t care what the breeding was, its not my flavor. Everyone gets mad when they buy one thing and its not what it was sold as. Don’t shoot the messenger. You kept posting 100% and in the Czech line finding a dog not mixed with other lines is quite rare so I was intrigued, thats all.

So North-Pannon brings in west blood in the forth generation. Dunga zo is blank so no way to know what blood comes in here. Not uncommon to see some blanks in Czech or Slovakian registry so no big deal. Era von Bunsenkocher in the fourth generation is also West decent. Off a quick glance theres more to west I’m sure but quickly there you go. All these means nothing except with regards to being a 100% Czech lined dog. Theres almost none of those left people love mixing the lines up so very common nowadays.

Perhaps some of the Czech or Slovakia aficionados can jump in and explain but i don’t think the savv1 titles had anything to do with police work. Its not a Czech title its Solvakia title.

Bloat without any doubt in my mind has genetic component. While I would not be overly concerned I would absolutely tack the stomachs of dogs coming from a dog who died of bloat.

Jada does not look happy over the trip, but I’m sure she we ease into her new permeant home, Nice looking pup.

#28 ·
Jax: While anecdotal a decade ago it did seem to be so. I started avoiding any dog who bloated or produced a bloat dog just as precaution. So far its been a good luck move. Can you share who is doing the study either public or pm'd.

#36 ·
Generally a dog that bloats and dies did have a torsion. A merely bloated stomach does not kill a dog unless its bloating is due to obstruction-it swallowed gorilla glue for example. What kills the pet is not the bloating but when the stomach twists it effects blood supply to the stomach, frequently blood vessels to the stomach and spleen tear also. The stomach becomes necrotic releasing toxins into the blood stream. I plan on playing it safe and will pexi my young male as he is big and deep chested. It can be done via laparoscope so minimally invasive. All the other males were done since going for dual purpose police-too much money tied up in training so why risk it. I would encourage everybody to consider it.

#38 ·
For $400 pexy seems like a wicked safe bet. Especially compounded with the research from the links Magwart and data that Jax provided its a no brainer for those with bloat dogs in the rear. Besides the agony of watching it happen with that much work put into a working dog and to lose it early is tragic on its own.

To the OP sorry things got out of topic. If you boiled down to those two breeders I think enough posted to work with. I send Malinda clients when people ask for dogs more experienced in sport stuff. So while I'm not hot on the breeding discussed. I will still send clients her way when I don't have something at that moment. So of the two, chalk another for Weber.

#37 ·
Well Roark, did you get your answers? Don't know Weberhaus and have only met one of TrueHaus' pups at an ipo training, it appeared to lack confidence and courage to me. Cindy is nice enough on the phone. I don't know if she tests for DM now, didn't believe in it a few years ago when we spoke. Either of those breeders can probably get you close to what you want if you're honest about your intentions with the dog. Not every pup from w/l litters is going to be a high drive sport or working dog.

#39 ·
This thread has gotten waaaay off topic but to give a data point to the original question...

I have a pup from Weberhaus, the same litter as Kim's Bash. I can echo what other's have said. Malinda is fantastic to work with. From the first conversation you can tell she loves her dogs, loves German Shepherds, and is breeding with a specific purpose in mind. She also speaks her mind about any dog topic. You will find out very quickly what she doesn't breed for as well as what can't really be bred for. I'll add that she answers her phone seemingly at all hours and there never are too many questions. Several times our conversations lasted way longer than I planned as we got into discussing some details of the litter, what behaviors she was seeing, breeding in general, Schutzhund/IGP, etc.

As for the puppy he is only 15 weeks but I am ecstatic. After discussing my plans Malinda was looking for a medium drive dog with strong nerves, good with other dogs, not aggressive to strangers, and suitable for hiking off leash in "the bush"--foothills and mountains of Colorado. I want to try Schutzhund or something like Mondioring but I'll be doing it for the experience and to learn to be a better handler/trainer not to win championships. It is way too early to tell exactly how he will do on all those axes but so far so good. At his first vet visit at 12 weeks my vet told me multiple times he was the most confident GSD puppy she had ever worked with. Everything was new (the room, the people, the smells, getting shots, getting examined, getting his nails trimmed, getting weighed and measured) and he responded to each new thing with a Oh-This-Is-New-OK-How-Does-This-Work-Lets-Do-This-Then attitude. The vet said that most GSD puppies are anxious and he was the opposite.

I can't speak to pedigrees with any authority nor have I researched bloat studies. But in terms of Malinda and my puppy, two thumbs up without hesitation.

#43 ·
Yes, that’s one of the nicest things. When you realize you have such an excellent ambassador for our beloved breed.

Vets and their staff tend to be war weary with poorly bred GSDs, unfortunately. It’s quite the commentary that seeing a GSD pup brimming with good health and full of happy curiosity about everything is so worthy of comment.

It has happened to me a number of times over the years with pups from a few very select breedings.

Malinda certainly is remarkably consistent in what she produces. Again, that consistency really is a green flag. It signals that the breeder has well defined goals.

It’s a question every puppy buyer should ask—what are your goals in doing this breeding? The answer should be detailed and specific.

I feel ya on the questions! I am pretty sure Malinda has had herself cloned.

#42 ·
Hey, OP! Apologies for the tangent this post has taken. Feel free to PM me about Weberhaus any time. I would absolutely recommend Malinda and her dogs and am happy to chat if you have questions.

#44 ·
At a glance there is a seemingly large consensus into which breeder is the most experienced of the two from which you've proposed.

Malinda @weberhaus has one more STRONG recommendation from me.

I have my first GSD from Malinda and not only is this puppy the most beautiful dog but Malinda's description of the puppy and her recommendation to me based upon my needs / circumstances are given with pinpoint accuracy and precision. She knows her breeding and she knows her pups.

Yesterday I was reading a thread that was posted in which the OP was forced to make the dreaded decision whether to euthanize an otherwise well behaved dog that was aggressive towards other dogs.

Within this forum you will rarely read comments from members who believe that the option of euthanasia be the best option.
They will scope out every detail of the post to determine if a correction from the handler or perhaps in the hands of a more experienced handler would benefit the pup.

In this case it was ultimately determined that the underlying cause of aggression had little to do with environment, lack of training, or neglect but with genetics.

The purpose of this digression directs you to the fact that genetics is paramount in selection. Red flags should be thoroughly investigated or crossed off the list completely.

My recommendation for Malinda echo's all the positive comments in this thread.
The reason I give a STRONG recommendation is because anytime I speak to Malinda she shares the same joy, excitement, and concern for my puppy's development as I do...every time.
I was honestly astonished to hear the enthusiasm in her voice to answer my questions that must have been asked a million times.

It was at that moment that I knew she was the breeder I would choose or suggest over and over again without the slightest hesitation.

#47 ·
At a glance there is a seemingly large consensus into which breeder is the most experienced of the two from which you've proposed.
It awesome your supporting your breeder and are super pleased. All good stuff. But this statement above appears to be silly. It seems to me True Haus has been around for much longer then Malindas program.

A decade ago I heard a lot of good things about their program with many super happy actually working dogs out there. I have not followed them or their dogs in quite a while but it seems to me they have been around much longer then 99% of all other programs.

If you can put with dog people that long and still be pushing out good dogs your pretty much one of the most experienced out there.

#45 ·
I think both breeders have excellent genetic stock and have produced some nice dogs.
Bloat to me is like HD in that both have genetic and environmental causations. It is very complex, but people have to be careful about labeling a bloated dog as it’s origin being genetic when it was caused by actions of owners ( food, water, strenuous activity) .

#46 ·
I don't know if you have a chance to read through the links provided and others. The last couple days looking through where the science looks to be going, it looks to be strongly headed genetic.

This alone is pretty good reason to avoid dogs that have bloated. First degree relatives of dogs that have bloated are 63% more likely to bloat themselves, per Tufts in the link provided earlier.

Fred Hutchinson Canine Bloat Study finding significant risk factors leaning genetic. There study still ongoing is modeled with the idea that gut bacteria population combined with an outside trigger. They are working on identifying allies that show a genetic predisposition to bloat.

And the end of the day you can work with a lot of things fair hips, allergies and sensitive stomachs but bloat claims a significant number of dogs in a blink of eye, you can't do anything with that.

It looks some of the studies are gaining some traction and getting closer to helping those that are risk.

#59 · (Edited)
Someone roll the twilight theme song.... The club is going argue that cliffson is quarreling over genetics.... Good Grief he stated he found the genetics for for both kennels excellent. Not a real quarreling type of narrative.

Granted he is a cheater, forgetting more about which lines would most likely produce excellent working traits then any pet or weekend warrior would learn in a life time.

So technically if he got a crap dog, I would put that on him, lol.

#61 ·
Tom died from cancer, not bloat.

I have a Weberhaus dog, and often recommend Malinda. However I wouldn't buy another dog from her. My dog is an amazing pet, social with strangers, stable in all situations and a fantastic travel buddy!

Average at best club level sport dog, probably would have been great for a complete newbie. Not enough energy or drive for me, and too much handler sensitivity. Imo we're mismatched and I think it's obvious when we're on the field. I love her but I can't wait to get another dog for IGP.

#65 ·
I am glad to be corrected on that. Thinking back, I could well have had my wires crossed.

It sounded as if he was asymptomatic right until the end which sure sounds like hemangio. Unfortunately, that can turn up un any dog, in any line, at any time. And, it often goes completely undetected. GSDs are a magnet.

I have lost more wonderful GSDs to that monster than I can even count. I hate hemangio.

#64 ·
I really don't have any direct experience with these breeders other than speaking to one of them about some of their dogs. What I see is that both train their breeding stock, which I believe is crucial to know what their dogs bring to a breeding genetically. Both seem to have a design to their breeding program. They both seem committed to improving the breed. Correct breeding can only increase the odds of producing a desired outcome. The goal is to develop prepotency in the breeding stock. But the outcome is in no way guaranteed. That is why so many police, military and top sport dogs are purchased as adults. Some people who compete in sports beyond club level will give a pup a certain amount of time/training and if the pup is not what they want, they sell it and get a new prospect. Both kennels seem like reputable breeders to me.

#74 ·
I am going to clarify my comments regarding True Haus.

Seer seems to be struggling.

Anyone who reads my earlier post will see that I offer no opinions as to their breeding program. I don’t have enough information.

What I have is *one* True Haus dog and a history of a brief meeting with both of his parents (Gina/Esko). Again, my initial posting says just that.

Nor have any of my past club mates that I can recall over the years worked True Haus dogs. Not saying that no one did. Saying I don’t remember any.

Jim and Cindy were friendly and responsive throughout the process.

My observation of Gina was that she was very social and a nuisance barker. My dog showed exactly the same trait. It took serious work to extinguish.

His sire was also social.

The rest was all on paper. Based on that, my pup should have been a fine working dog. He’s not. He is not even suited to be a pet dog.

His hips are terrible, he certainly would not OFA. I haven’t done elbows; no point.

We chose not return him. Rolling the dice on another puppy had zero appeal.

He is a mess. Because he shows no aggression toward humans, he’s still here. I and a number of professional K9 trainers have logged a lot of hours on this guy. At age four, he has been brought as far as he can be. He is not an unhappy dog. My husband had formed as much of a bond as anyone could with him and spends time playing Kong and hanging out with him.

In 30+ years of multiple GSD ownership, I have been all over the boards; byb, rescues, a couple of former K9s, good breeders, bad breeders, excellent breeders and gawd knows what breeders. Some dogs are just better than others.

Out of that entire collection, I can honestly say that the True Haus pup is the biggest disappointment. I won’t say he’s the worst of the lot. I reserve that honorific for the crazy fear biters.

But, one more time, for emphasis:

*******This is not an indictment of True Haus********

I am sharing my experiences with ONE pup because a member asked and I had hoped to be of some help.

As for Weberhaus; I now have two of Malinda’s dogs. I can say, unequivocally, without hesitation, that these are the best I have experienced in 30+ years. The new girl just got here, but, she is a full sister to my two year old male and very much like him, I am happy to report.

I say this having had several other dogs, including imports, that I consider outstanding; so the bar is pretty high.

The predictability of the new girl is to be expected. Uniformity is usually a sign of a good breeding; it tells me that the breeder had well defined goals.

I can confirm the other contributors’ posts regarding Malinda’s willingness to make herself available to answer questions and provide support.

During my 30+ years, there was never a time during which I had just one GSD. Three seems to be my magic number. To count up the number of GSDs I have been blessed enough to have in my life would require paper and pencil.

Fortunately, I have found my Breeder-for-Life in Weberhaus.

Hoping this re-clarifies everything I said the first time.

#76 ·
It is very unfortunate that things turned out this way for you. I sincerely mean that! It’s my experiences that all breeders of many years of breeding will produce unfortunate pups from time to time. Even with the best genetics, there are still recessive faults in genetics of all dogs that may manifest in a breeding, especially with H&E.
Couple this with the sometimes ineptitude of ownership,( not directed to you at all, just in general) and environmental lack of knowledge in terms of health, and even the most stellar breeder will have examples of unfortunateness that are available to be judged. But in all fairness, I try to look at the overall picture with breeders as opposed to the exceptions. But I respect your opinion based on your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.