feedback on true haus and weberhaus breeders and pups please - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 111Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
oh boy... Your glass is pretty full. Again don't shoot the messenger. Perhaps others can help explain your pedigree to you additionally why its a good idea to tack.

A general statistic: 9-10 people surveyed, who get corrected publicly, no longer have time for nonsense.
🤣🤣🤣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Hi GSD friends!

I am considering getting a pup from true haus or weberhaus. Due to location, I may not be able to visit both or either in person. There aren't great working line breeders in my area

I've talked with both Cindy and Melinda and both seem really great so it is a hard choice.

I have experience with working line GSDs and looking to get a new family member. The dog will be an active family pet but we will do schutzhund and dock sports as well, just not competitively. I am NOT looking for a sport only dog. I want the dog to be well rounded and stable and healthy.

I know there are threads related to these folks but I am looking for well rounded feedback. Please feel free to PM me. I just want to make sure that I have an accurate picture of what I am getting into.

Thanks very much for your help. I appreciate you taking the time!
Hey, OP! Apologies for the tangent this post has taken. Feel free to PM me about Weberhaus any time. I would absolutely recommend Malinda and her dogs and am happy to chat if you have questions.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #43 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
This thread has gotten waaaay off topic but to give a data point to the original question...

I have a pup from Weberhaus, the same litter as Kim's Bash. I can echo what other's have said. Malinda is fantastic to work with. From the first conversation you can tell she loves her dogs, loves German Shepherds, and is breeding with a specific purpose in mind. She also speaks her mind about any dog topic. You will find out very quickly what she doesn't breed for as well as what can't really be bred for. I'll add that she answers her phone seemingly at all hours and there never are too many questions. Several times our conversations lasted way longer than I planned as we got into discussing some details of the litter, what behaviors she was seeing, breeding in general, Schutzhund/IGP, etc.

As for the puppy he is only 15 weeks but I am ecstatic. After discussing my plans Malinda was looking for a medium drive dog with strong nerves, good with other dogs, not aggressive to strangers, and suitable for hiking off leash in "the bush"--foothills and mountains of Colorado. I want to try Schutzhund or something like Mondioring but I'll be doing it for the experience and to learn to be a better handler/trainer not to win championships. It is way too early to tell exactly how he will do on all those axes but so far so good. At his first vet visit at 12 weeks my vet told me multiple times he was the most confident GSD puppy she had ever worked with. Everything was new (the room, the people, the smells, getting shots, getting examined, getting his nails trimmed, getting weighed and measured) and he responded to each new thing with a Oh-This-Is-New-OK-How-Does-This-Work-Lets-Do-This-Then attitude. The vet said that most GSD puppies are anxious and he was the opposite.

I can't speak to pedigrees with any authority nor have I researched bloat studies. But in terms of Malinda and my puppy, two thumbs up without hesitation.
Yes, thatís one of the nicest things. When you realize you have such an excellent ambassador for our beloved breed.

Vets and their staff tend to be war weary with poorly bred GSDs, unfortunately. Itís quite the commentary that seeing a GSD pup brimming with good health and full of happy curiosity about everything is so worthy of comment.

It has happened to me a number of times over the years with pups from a few very select breedings.

Malinda certainly is remarkably consistent in what she produces. Again, that consistency really is a green flag. It signals that the breeder has well defined goals.

Itís a question every puppy buyer should askówhat are your goals in doing this breeding? The answer should be detailed and specific.

I feel ya on the questions! I am pretty sure Malinda has had herself cloned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:44 PM

At a glance there is a seemingly large consensus into which breeder is the most experienced of the two from which you've proposed.

Malinda @weberhaus has one more STRONG recommendation from me.

I have my first GSD from Malinda and not only is this puppy the most beautiful dog but Malinda's description of the puppy and her recommendation to me based upon my needs / circumstances are given with pinpoint accuracy and precision. She knows her breeding and she knows her pups.

Yesterday I was reading a thread that was posted in which the OP was forced to make the dreaded decision whether to euthanize an otherwise well behaved dog that was aggressive towards other dogs.

Within this forum you will rarely read comments from members who believe that the option of euthanasia be the best option.
They will scope out every detail of the post to determine if a correction from the handler or perhaps in the hands of a more experienced handler would benefit the pup.

In this case it was ultimately determined that the underlying cause of aggression had little to do with environment, lack of training, or neglect but with genetics.

The purpose of this digression directs you to the fact that genetics is paramount in selection. Red flags should be thoroughly investigated or crossed off the list completely.

My recommendation for Malinda echo's all the positive comments in this thread.
The reason I give a STRONG recommendation is because anytime I speak to Malinda she shares the same joy, excitement, and concern for my puppy's development as I do...every time.
I was honestly astonished to hear the enthusiasm in her voice to answer my questions that must have been asked a million times.

It was at that moment that I knew she was the breeder I would choose or suggest over and over again without the slightest hesitation.
Seer, Sabis mom and raff like this.
post #45 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Crowned Member

I think both breeders have excellent genetic stock and have produced some nice dogs.
Bloat to me is like HD in that both have genetic and environmental causations. It is very complex, but people have to be careful about labeling a bloated dog as itís origin being genetic when it was caused by actions of owners ( food, water, strenuous activity) .
onyx'girl and CometDog like this.
post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I think both breeders have excellent genetic stock and have produced some nice dogs.
Bloat to me is like HD in that both have genetic and environmental causations. It is very complex, but people have to be careful about labeling a bloated dog as itís origin being genetic when it was caused by actions of owners ( food, water, strenuous activity) .
I don't know if you have a chance to read through the links provided and others. The last couple days looking through where the science looks to be going, it looks to be strongly headed genetic.

This alone is pretty good reason to avoid dogs that have bloated. First degree relatives of dogs that have bloated are 63% more likely to bloat themselves, per Tufts in the link provided earlier.

Fred Hutchinson Canine Bloat Study finding significant risk factors leaning genetic. There study still ongoing is modeled with the idea that gut bacteria population combined with an outside trigger. They are working on identifying allies that show a genetic predisposition to bloat.

And the end of the day you can work with a lot of things fair hips, allergies and sensitive stomachs but bloat claims a significant number of dogs in a blink of eye, you can't do anything with that.

It looks some of the studies are gaining some traction and getting closer to helping those that are risk.

JD

Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie
post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsoclonus View Post
At a glance there is a seemingly large consensus into which breeder is the most experienced of the two from which you've proposed.
It awesome your supporting your breeder and are super pleased. All good stuff. But this statement above appears to be silly. It seems to me True Haus has been around for much longer then Malindas program.

A decade ago I heard a lot of good things about their program with many super happy actually working dogs out there. I have not followed them or their dogs in quite a while but it seems to me they have been around much longer then 99% of all other programs.

If you can put with dog people that long and still be pushing out good dogs your pretty much one of the most experienced out there.

JD

post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
This is exactly right.

This is why so many veterinarians tell GSD owners to keep their dogs from running around for at least two hours before and two hours after a meal. Four would be better, but, just not realistic for most people.

Genetics sets the parameters. Environment determines what happens within those limits.
post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
It awesome your supporting your breeder and are super pleased. All good stuff.
I figured it went without saying but at least with respect to my comments I can only give feedback with something I have experience with. My comments were about Weberhaus. I don't have any experience with True Haus so my lack of comments shouldn't be taken as a negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
This is why so many veterinarians tell GSD owners to keep their dogs from running around for at least two hours before and two hours after a meal. Four would be better, but, just not realistic for most people.
Two isn't realistic either, really. I mean assuming two meals a day that would rougly mean no running around from 6 am to 10 am and then from 3 pm to 7 pm. If you are training for a sport (and assuming you work) you wouldn't be able to train from 6 am to 7 pm. That's not going to work. Or am I missing something?
Seer likes this.
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raff View Post
This is exactly right.

Genetics sets the parameters. Environment determines what happens within those limits.
Sorry guys but the science is not with your statements. We have been giving dogs food, water, strenuous activity since they have been domesticated. That is not real arguable. The Purdue study stated epidemic numbers. If thats true and it appears to be then while adjusting food water activity can help reduce risk it just putting lipstick on the pig.

If we don't want HD dogs bred as a community then it only makes sense we should not be breeding the bloat dogs either.
Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.

JD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page