Know of any breeders? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:24 AM

Cynthia Binder at Binderhaus in southern CA trains and trials her dogs in AKC Herding and has titled many dogs from her own breeding to Herding Champion. She breeds blended lineage and I believe she has a litter on the ground now.

Both Daphne Carey and Ulf Kintzel produce dogs bred specifically for large flock tending type herding, trial their dogs in HGH and breed according to the SV Standard. I am not sure if they have any litters planned for 2019

Ulf Kintzel has trained several of my dogs, One of which is SG Whisky von SentinelHarts HGH IPO1, KKL I co-own this dog with Leslie Marquis at Auf der Marquis in Allegan Michigan. Leslie recently bred Whisky and is expecting a litter in May 2019 https://www.aufdermarquisgsds.com

I have dogs titled in both AKC herding and in HGH and they are very different. Even the C course in AKC is different than the HGH. Tending is different than arena work. When you do contact breeders, be specific about the traits you are seeking and the purpose you have in mind for your dog.

SentinelHarts German Shepherds
V Pepe v Weltwitz IPO2 KKL
V Vilko v der Feuersaule IPO3 KKL
SG Union Rags v SentinelHarts IPO1 HSAsd
SG Whisky v SentinelHarts HGH
O'Hara v SentinelHarts IPO1
Envy v SentinelHarts BH FPR1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Crowned Member

I will also repeat stay away from stereo types. Also look into finding herding instructors near you and make a visit. It’s often a place where you will find many breeders frequently visit to train and practice and into all types of dog sports in my experience. You can ask them if they know of any german breeders and get some names of those who work their dogs and title them in herding and if they know of any actual farms working their dogs. I would imagine cattle can be dangerous and would talk to some cattle people if that is what you are looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelHarts View Post
Cynthia Binder at Binderhaus in southern CA trains and trials her dogs in AKC Herding and has titled many dogs from her own breeding to Herding Champion. She breeds blended lineage and I believe she has a litter on the ground now.

Both Daphne Carey and Ulf Kintzel produce dogs bred specifically for large flock tending type herding, trial their dogs in HGH and breed according to the SV Standard. I am not sure if they have any litters planned for 2019

Ulf Kintzel has trained several of my dogs, One of which is SG Whisky von SentinelHarts HGH IPO1, KKL I co-own this dog with Leslie Marquis at Auf der Marquis in Allegan Michigan. Leslie recently bred Whisky and is expecting a litter in May 2019 https://www.aufdermarquisgsds.com

I have dogs titled in both AKC herding and in HGH and they are very different. Even the C course in AKC is different than the HGH. Tending is different than arena work. When you do contact breeders, be specific about the traits you are seeking and the purpose you have in mind for your dog.

I'm not really talking about AKC events when I'm talking about herding. I'm definitely going to be specific about what I'm looking for and I'm not planning on getting a dog right away. I'm keeping my options open and seeing if I can find what I'm looking for in german shepherds. If not I'm trying to decide what a better breed to go with is. I just know that german shepherds are a bit more what I'd like over say BCs, heelers, and aussies. From what I've heard of catahoulas they probably won't mesh well with what I like and so I'm more looking into GSDs. With them it would be more active herding vs. tending. However my line of thinking is that unless people had other dogs for just herding the flock german shepherds should be capable of working in herding. That said while typing this I stopped to look up videos of german shepherds herding, and it is making me second guess myself. Just because none of the dogs in the video had what I expected to see with a herding dog, I'm used to a much more intense focus and could be GSDs may not be the best breed for what I'm wanting to do. But I'm still going to keep researching because people do use them so I'm going to continue to figure things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I will also repeat stay away from stereo types. Also look into finding herding instructors near you and make a visit. Itís often a place where you will find many breeders frequently visit to train and practice and into all types of dog sports in my experience. You can ask them if they know of any german breeders and get some names of those who work their dogs and title them in herding and if they know of any actual farms working their dogs. I would imagine cattle can be dangerous and would talk to some cattle people if that is what you are looking for.

I'm going to be looking into getting into contact with some of the trainers in my area however, around here it's very rural, there aren't as many dog sport people for this it's more actual people working their dogs in real farms or actual stock. There are competitions but it's not really for titles. There are stock dog clinics and such.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

Another breed to look into is the Kelpie...they are very agile athletic working dogs.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Another breed to look into is the Kelpie...they are very agile athletic working dogs.

I don't know too much about them other than that there are a few mixes here and there. One of the few herding breeds around here I never see as a purebred actually. I've only ever seen ranch dog mixes of them.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:16 PM
Crowned Member

Look at videos of Kelpies working sheep. They jump on their backs and steer them. My neighbor rescued two Kelpies and they are very independent. They arenít really pets, they are strictly a working breed. Extremely independent and stubborn. They are excellent at herding. If you plan to have a ranch you might end up with a few breeds for different tasks.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

Look closely after the 50 second mark. You can see several dogs bouncing off the backs of sheep.

Puppy training video

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Look at videos of Kelpies working sheep. They jump on their backs and steer them. My neighbor rescued two Kelpies and they are very independent. They arenít really pets, they are strictly a working breed. Extremely independent and stubborn. They are excellent at herding. If you plan to have a ranch you might end up with a few breeds for different tasks.

Definitely not what I want them. Would also explain why I don't see much of them purebred wise around here. Probably bred them in but didn't want all of the traits that come in with straight kelpies.

I guess in the ranches I'm around they don't have different breeds for different tasks. Maybe they might prefer a certain dog but for the most part I guess I haven't seen much for that. I know a guy who has 9 dogs but he more uses that many because they have so many cattle he uses 3 dogs at a time and during hot summers he can switch them out.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:58 PM
Administrator

There are kelpies killing it at all breed trials right now. Some of them arenít listed / named as titleholders because the dogs are part of FSS and some venues are weird about registration.

There are a handful by me, and theyíre fantastic versatile workers. Iím a pretty diehard GSD person, but if I wasnít, Iíd pay even more attention to the really nice kelpies around here.
onyx'girl likes this.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

I fostered a Kelpie cross and he was amazing....Had I not had a commitment on a pup with a great breeder, I would have kept him.
He would have excelled in agility or any sport, IMO...He was reactive to men, which was his only baggage(stray that clearly lived on a chain and unclaimed). I fell in love with the kelpie after researching and seeing how strong their work ethic is. The one I fostered bonded so very strongly with me. It broke my heart to let him go.

I have recently asked a friend with kelpie experience which kennel to suggest and quickheels and zephyr were recommended. https://www.facebook.com/QuickheelsKelpies
thankfully, they aren't(yet) being ruined by showing or other venues...they are a working dog and looks aren't the focus, work ethic is.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-10-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page