Breeder recommendations? VA/East Coast Please help! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Do you know the differences between European show vs. working lines and American show lines? That is where I would start. Do you know what approaches you would use to train the dog? Personally, I would never have a show line dog. There are pups from working line litters that are lower drive and more laid back and you would have a better chance of getting a dog that is bred for what the breed was intended.
I am familiar with the types, however I haven't had hands on experience with the working lines. I have only had experience with rescue shepherds, who appeared to be American show lines, but were probably a bit of a mix. This will be my first time getting a puppy from a breeder. I have spent an absurd amount of time researching, and have met a couple of breeders but did not find it to be a good match. I am going to look into the working lines more, because of everyone's "low drive" note! Haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

I also wanted to add that I am in the DC area. I am willing to travel a few hours, but would prefer to find someone close so I can go there in person before pursuing a puppy in one of their litters.

Thanks again!! You all are so helpful on this forum, all of the posts from previous threads have really been great to great through for learning and gaining information
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:55 PM

There's a breeder in my hometown called Novak Shepherds. I believe they brought dogs over from Serbia when they immigrated. Can't speak for the actual pedigree of these dogs, but I'm friends with several of the nieces and nephews of the owner, and they all have gorgeous shepherds! They're based in Greensboro, NC I believe! I don't know if they have a website, but he has a facebook page! They breed 2-3 times a year in the fall/winter I think, $1000 per pup.

https://www.facebook.com/novak.germanshepherds - Maybe message him and ask about the pedigree. They were my first choice when I didn't know much about the breed a few years ago, I got my dog off craigslist, but he was from another breeder here in NC prior to that.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by clipke; 03-26-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsfirst View Post
I also wanted to add that I am in the DC area.
Hi Neighbor. there are a few of us around the DMV

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 PM

I just got my puppy from Blackthorn and could not be happier with him. Though Blackthorn is known for working dogs, mine is for companion dog. He is all I am looking for. Christine is very knowledgeable and she will find the best fit for you. She may still have some puppies available from recent litters, it won't hurt to give her a call. Not sure if you use Facebook, Christine is very responsive via Facebook message.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:01 AM

Christine has her Ww litter on the ground - 5 males, I believe. She is expecting or planning another litter here shortly from her bitch Pirate and Alighieri v Schraderhaus (Dante, I think). She's great at placement with dogs and is more than willing to offer advice and experiences if you ask.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 AM

Of the group you listed, I second Blackthorns. If this is important to you, they have a tight knit group support for owners of their pups which they've been kind enough to let me join. I don't have a Blackthorn myself.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Personally one of the best dogs I ever owned is my American showline. My heart dog. Max from woodhaven german shepherds in Southampton New Jersey. One of the stud dogs pups can be seen in the movie i am legend - the puppy not the adult.(just thought that was neat- since I love that movie) Also quite a few of her dogs went to be cadaver dogs. He brings a fun a special energy to the house- a comic a scoundrel and charmer. The house will not be the same without him. My wgsl I have is from hollow hills in Pennsylvania- Luna a Really sweet biddable dog who was in my opinion always an easy pup and easy adult. She is so very smart and just all around easy dog even when she is not. Both great dogs enjoys the kids and busy house. My working line even though incredibly strong and serious was very calm and quiet in the house and naturally always well behaved. Each dog was different with different imperfections but more then fit in and were and are very special. I don’t think I can own another breed. They all adjusted to busy schedules and adjusted to different schedules -all very adaptable dogs. My advise go meet the dogs see the parents, aunts , grandsires of the breeders you are interested in- ask about longevity I enjoyed hearing about grand sire and grand dams and meeting them. Each pup in a litter has different personalities and different drives and energy levels -best to find a breeder that will match what you are looking for.
I can also give a huge thumbs up to Beth at hollow hills. I can echo the same great experience that Jenny has posted. And another thanks to Jax for the recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page