Is it true that most WL breeders shy away from producing naturally aggressive dogs? - Page 16 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 355Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 AM

@mycobraracr, nice pup! Good luck with him.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Who would ever think about rolling over a shepherd? They're usually out in the sticks far from others and I doubt they were carrying around a wad a cash. You'd think it would be a pretty safe occupation in that regard.
Stealing the livestock would be my guess.
post #153 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
Boru looks like a calm, confident and assertive dog. He definitely has that "it" factor, but I know it takes a special kind of handler to walk the line with him.
Julian have you read the history of Boru?

Also, @Slamdunc when you said he would be happy patrolling alone and would shred anyone who came on the property....how much of that is a result of his training?

Do you have access to trainers to help you do that kind of training, Julian?

@Slamdunc I am curious what your thoughts are on this, what would happen if a layperson owned Boru?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 AM
Crowned Member

I once visited a goat farm to buy some goats. After driving up a mile long driveway I got out of my car and from the barn walked a big male Anatolian Shepherd. He barked once or twice and walked up to me within about five feet and just stared at me. Trust and believe I did not move a muscle until the farm owner finaly came out of the house and called him. I am most certainly not afraid of dogs but I knew I better not give this guy any reason to act.

I researched that breed a lot because it was what I had planned to put with my goats so they could stay on pasture more.

The size alone will deter a lot of people, they are really impressive and will do what they do with very little training.
Chip18 and zetti like this.
post #155 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
@mycobraracr, nice pup! Good luck with him.

Thank you. He's actually going to be three this week. I just never get video of him. My wife is usually the one behind the camera, so if she's handling and I'm decoying, then we get no video. This is the most recent video of him.

The sable at the bottom of the screen I'm holding is my new prospect. She's currently 10 weeks. 7 weeks when this video was taken.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #156 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
That's unfortunate, but you said "dogs like these", and they aren't ALL like this. Seems to me like this stuff happens more here in the US than in Holland, maybe they truly do have tricks of the trade to avoid this type of behavior.
No, they ship them off to stupid Americans or the dogs take a dirt nap.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #157 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Crowned Member

True, but there are people out there who want these dogs. I cant figure out for the life of me why. I've been to trials where the handlers are wearing long sleeve shirts and leather cuffs. Why? Because there dogs will get so loaded that they need to bite something, and up the leash they come. I don't want to have to put chain-mail on to work my dog lol. I see this mostly in the LE community thinking they need this type dog for the street because nothing else will bite.
lhczth and wolfstraum like this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #158 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have no problems with a strong rank dog, but many of these dogs have a screw loose.
wolfstraum likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #159 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I once visited a goat farm to buy some goats. After driving up a mile long driveway I got out of my car and from the barn walked a big male Anatolian Shepherd. He barked once or twice and walked up to me within about five feet and just stared at me. Trust and believe I did not move a muscle until the farm owner finaly came out of the house and called him. I am most certainly not afraid of dogs but I knew I better not give this guy any reason to act.

I researched that breed a lot because it was what I had planned to put with my goats so they could stay on pasture more.

The size alone will deter a lot of people, they are really impressive and will do what they do with very little training.
I will have to be honest here and admit that I'm a bit vain and love the look of GSD/Mals/DSD
I'm sure many of you appreciate their beauty as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Thank you. He's actually going to be three this week. I just never get video of him. My wife is usually the one behind the camera, so if she's handling and I'm decoying, then we get no video. This is the most recent video of him.
https://youtu.be/soUId00vLxY

The sable at the bottom of the screen I'm holding is my new prospect. She's currently 10 weeks. 7 weeks when this video was taken.
https://youtu.be/5Dafb6G5t6w
Ever worry that you do decoy work with him and then live with him as well? I ask because someone who trains KNPV dogs has said to never be the prey or hold the prey item to avoid the risk of getting bit yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
No, they ship them off to stupid Americans or the dogs take a dirt nap.
Hmm, no wonder why some of them are only $500. The shipping from Holland costs more than the dog with some breeders. Learn something new every day.
post #160 of 210 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Ever worry that you do decoy work with him and then live with him as well? I ask because someone who trains KNPV dogs has said to never be the prey or hold the prey item to avoid the risk of getting bit yourself..

Yes, but I'm not his handler. My wife is. He does not take commands from me. We take precautions to keep training clear. We also take extra measures on his crates at training. He has busted out multiple times to get to me when I'm getting Kimber out of the truck. I never work him in our house. My wife also can not rough house or anything with him out. Actually a few weeks ago all I did was pick her up and throw her on my shoulder, I turned around and saw nothing but teeth coming at my face. My wife downed him, I put her down, she told him good boy because technically he wasn't wrong and we had to put him up for a bit to calm back down. I never work my own dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page