Mittelwest Kennels in Illinois - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

So many great recommendations...a bit overwhelming, I admit, but what a great selection! I'm impressed.

At the moment we're still leaning toward Mittelwest, a huge factor being their lifetime health guarantee. We'll be visiting the kennel soon. We aren't ready for a puppy quite yet, but we want to see where our pup would be coming from and meet the people and dogs. I'll definitely report back with my thoughts, for those who may be interested as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 AM
Crowned Member

Not sure where you're getting the Mittelwest lifetime health guarantee from. I have a 4 yo Mittelwest dog with severe bilateral hip dysplasia, x-rays rated by the SV in Germany at 12 months and on file. I was a valued Mittelwest team member for years, and received nothing as far as a guarantee. If anyone wants to know more, including info about his temperament as well as the kennel, please feel free to pm me.

Sandy

RATCHX2 SG Wisp von Schneiden Fels BH NW1 RA OAP OAJ SWN CZ8B CAA CGCA TKN TC HIC
SG Chase vom Mittelwest II BH
SG Flame von Nummer-Eins CA TKN HIC
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilegsds View Post
Not sure where you're getting the Mittelwest lifetime health guarantee from. I have a 4 yo Mittelwest dog with severe bilateral hip dysplasia, x-rays rated by the SV in Germany at 12 months and on file. I was a valued Mittelwest team member for years, and received nothing as far as a guarantee. If anyone wants to know more, including info about his temperament as well as the kennel, please feel free to pm me.
It says it on the website. My question would be do you have to return your dog to get replacement puppy? If that is the case then the warranty means nothing to me, because I'm not giving up a dog that I had for a year because it has hip dysplasia.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 01-06-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:16 AM

I think there is a breeder up that way that offers a full life health guarantee for certain genetic conditions. They offer a new puppy of equal/greater value and let you keep your first one if you want to keep it. Most breeders make you give the 'sick' puppy back though to get a new one.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agilegsds View Post

Sandy, are you saying Julie of Mittelwest knows of your dog's health problems and has refused to offer a replacement?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:57 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _riley View Post
Sandy, are you saying Julie of Mittelwest knows of your dog's health problems and has refused to offer a replacement?
This discussion needs to be taken private.

Thank you,

ADMIN

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
I think there is a breeder up that way that offers a full life health guarantee for certain genetic conditions. They offer a new puppy of equal/greater value and let you keep your first one if you want to keep it. Most breeders make you give the 'sick' puppy back though to get a new one.
Do you know which breeder this is?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:59 PM

I purchased a pup from Julie at Mittelwest in 2000. He was a great dog but he did develop pretty severe hip dysplasia and I notified Julie. This is going back a long time, but if I remember correctly I think she was willing to replace my dog but who in their right mind is going to part with a dog that you already have become attached to. I think my Fritz was around 2 years old when it was detected and there was no way I was going to give her my dog back. I think the replace your dog warranties are pointless - would be nice to see breeders credit for a future dog if severe HD is detected by a certain age.
sit,stay likes this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:29 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
I think the replace your dog warranties are pointless
Why? I offer the same thing. I don't require people to give the affected animal back. Most breeders don't require that these days.
jhfla likes this.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Crowned Member

I think you should be just as diligent in health as looks if you are going the SL way. Most of these dogs are very heavily linebred and science tells us that when you heavily linebreed to a certain point then genetic, congenital and mental health issues increase. I'm not advising against SL dog, but I certainly would have a mentor help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page