looking for a GSD in central IN - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By lhczth
  • 2 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By gsdluvr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

looking for a GSD in central IN

hi, we have been trying to adopt [or even purchase from a breeder ] in central IN. we are 30 mi N of indy. we are very experienced GSD owners. i even trained and worked a tracker for a rescue squad. most of the rescue dogs i encounter are mixed and i am not ready to deal w/ a mix. i prefer a dog who has had at least 3 months w/ his mom or parents and siblings. i believe it is not good for their socialization to to take them at the usual 8 weeks. i only want a male under about 15 months. i prefer the GERMAN lines w/ square rear [as opposed to the american sloped back]. any leads will be appreciated. we have a home w/ a fenced dog area 60' x 90' and keep the dog indoors and w/ us at night. TIA for any help.
PS - i'm new here. if there is a better thread to post this, please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Crowned Member

WELCOME Crazzot!

Be patient waiting for suggestions! There are some very knowledgeable folks on here!

A little more info will help!
*What activities or sports do you plan on doing with him.

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog?

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*How far are you willing to travel?

*Are you willing to have a dog shipped?

Good luck in yours search!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 09-18-2016 at 08:00 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Zu Treuen Händen Working German Shepherd Dogs in Indiana has a litter on the ground, not sure if all pups are reserved or not, however, only one male in the litter. It is good to make contacts and not be in a huge rush if you are looking for the right puppy.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

GSD Rescue Indy has quite a few. They just took in 4 more this week that were owner surrenders. The lady who runs the rescue doesn't understand because they are all good dogs. From what I understand these dogs are mostly pulled from the kill shelter and there is no shortage if GSDs, in fact they just keep coming.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Zu Treuen Händen Working German Shepherd Dogs in Indiana has a litter on the ground, not sure if all pups are reserved or not, however, only one male in the litter. It is good to make contacts and not be in a huge rush if you are looking for the right puppy.
Which breeding is that? With Dexter?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes, it would be the litter with Dexter. Only litter I have. Just the one male, though, and at this time I have two people wanting him.
Jax08 likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

In the Indy area you have Quellwasser:
https://www.facebook.com/quellwassergermanshepherds/

Mike Diehl: Diehl's K9 Training LLC

And a few others too. Most of the breeders are not going to keep puppies around for 3 months and have them running with their littermates and mother. This serves no purpose and can actually be detrimental to the pups. If I have any pups longer than maybe 10 weeks, and sometimes before, they spend a lot of time separated from their littermates and are definitely no longer with mom.
onyx'girl and Jax08 like this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Yes, it would be the litter with Dexter. Only litter I have. Just the one male, though, and at this time I have two people wanting him.
Talk about a "henpecked" puppy!
lhczth likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:46 PM

If you are interested in a sport or PPD type dog, you can get a green dog from VLK in Denver / Peru Indiana. They will have a lot to pick from. I would take someone along who knows what they are doing to test the dog for you. Green dogs are usually 12-18 months old and go for around $4000.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page