New Puppy Parent Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

New Puppy Parent Question

Ok guys I'm a stay at home mom that's home everyday all day long. I get out once a week for 2 hours to go to the grocery store and the rest of the time is spent at home with our puppy.

I don't have a vehicle right now so I can't pick and choose when I get to go places. We recently got a 14 week old puppy named Pepper.

I have the opportunity to get out to a store I can rarely go to. My question here is would it be ok to crate the puppy for a little longer than recommended every once in a very great while?

It would be about 5 hours and I'm worried about leaving her for that long. Would it be ok? I exercise her regularly every other day, she very rarely goes in the crate if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Master Member

5 hours may be just a little too long for a 14 weeks old pup. A general rule is for every month it's alive...that's how long (in hours) it can/should go between potty breaks. So for example, if your pup is 3 months old, then 3 hours is how long it should be able to hold it. 4 months...4 hours. That's a general rule. Now some pups can hold it longer. Some can't. It depends on your pup.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
5 hours may be just a little too long for a 14 weeks old pup. A general rule is for every month it's alive...that's how long (in hours) it can/should go between potty breaks. So for example, if your pup is 3 months old, then 3 hours is how long it should be able to hold it. 4 months...4 hours. That's a general rule. Now some pups can hold it longer. Some can't. It depends on your pup.
Ok thank you for the advice. I wanted to ask before I made a mistake. I'm new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:27 PM

My pup is almost 16 weeks and I don't like to leave her in her crate for more than 3 hours, 4 tops. It all depends on your pup, tho. See how she does for a couple of hours and maybe gradually increase the time. I agree that 5 hours might be too long for a young pup.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:34 PM

I'm a stay at home mom as well but we still kennel during the day. During meal times or if I can't watch my pup, he goes in the crate. It gives you a break from puppy watch too because that can be exhausting work on top of kid patrol. We also crate at night. I bring this up to back up Frisco's comment on the other posting of your question. If you're going to kennel while gone, you might want to make sure the kennel is a comfy spot for your pup and that the pup is used to it before you do that rare adventure out of the house. My pup is on me like velcro (lots because I'm always around) so leaving him alone in a plastic box could be a scary thing if the pup isn't used to it.

As far as how long the pup can wait to potty, I agree it does depend. Our pup generally makes it between 4.5 to 6 hours over the night. You can control water intake before leaving him in the crate for longer spurts and that might help lasting 5 hours. It does seem just on the edge of maybe too long IMO.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Elite Member

I say it depends on the dog and the amount of activity and water intake. I’ve heard puppies can hold it one hour per month of age + one, so a 4 month old puppy can hold it for 5 hours. My puppy was able to hold his bladder all night (9 hours) since he was 10 weeks old, but that isn’t common. My guy loves his crate though, so he isn’t at all stressed out. Being stressed just increases the need to go to the bathroom, so I’d make sure your puppy is happy in the crate.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
My puppy was able to hold his bladder all night (9 hours) since he was 10 weeks old, but that isn’t common.
That sounds like a dream come true at this point
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeraDean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
My puppy was able to hold his bladder all night (9 hours) since he was 10 weeks old, but that isn’t common.
That sounds like a dream come true at this point
You have no idea how thankful I am for it. Due to my disability, I HAVE to get 9-10 hours of sleep every night or I get sick. He ended up being a perfect match for that specific need.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Crowned Member

By 11 weeks all of my pups have been holding all night, 11-7, and 5-6 hours during the day.

That said, I'm not sure I would just toss a pup in a crate for 6 hours and leave the house. I do crate training, potty training hand in hand from day one and use restricted water intake to assist with overnight.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:59 PM

We brought him home two days shy of 8 weeks and he made it through the night no problem. Seven hours. Uncommon but boy was I surprised when I went to be thinking, this is going to be a long night and I woke up and he was laying down quiet in the crate next to me. Five hours at the grocery store! Good god, you must be feeding an army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in