Emergency Contact (Forum Buddy) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member
 
GatorBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 5,226
Emergency Contact (Forum Buddy)

So a couple threads got me thinking about our community here. Some related to suicide, some to wondering what happened to a regular poster who has not been here for awhile, to someone we haven't heard from in a few yrs that we know may have had some troubles or health issues.


Of course some of us want to remain anonymous or only open (real names) to a handful of people via PM.
With this autonomy, we don't really have a way of reaching out or have someone to contact to reach out if we find something a bit off with them....like not posting in awhile when a reg.


I started a thread asking about Carmspack for example.
Stevenandzacsmom (sp.?) started a thread to advise about DaisyandLuckysmom passing away


Awhile back, a very young lady from this forum committed suicide. It was brought forth here as a memorial to her b/c someone on the forum had her digits. She had a chocolate pom "the honorary GSD as she called him"
Someone reached out (Huntergreen I believe), via an emerg thread b/c he read alarm bells via a members post and acted...the mods got involved and everything. Wow.


So I thought, we should have an emerg contact list here. Someone who has your personal number, email, FB, whatever that we can contact to check on you or you on them.


I'll go first.
Sabi's mom. She knows how to get ahold. Has all contact info, address incl. and can send cops to my door if needed
Carmspack has my email, address and I think phone number
ksotto333 and Sabis mom like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,255
So how would this work? We just post that we are open to the idea and wait for someone to chose us? I know, for me, I’m an incredibly open, my FB has nothing but sarcastic meme’s, and I rarely post. I’m on here a fair amount of time, but hearing my phone ring sets my anxiety off, I wouldn’t be able to deal with someone calling me. Texting, sure, but calling and me not answering is a normal event. I use the call feature for emergencies only 🤣
Sabis mom likes this.
Jchrest is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member
 
GatorBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 5,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
So how would this work? We just post that we are open to the idea and wait for someone to chose us? I know, for me, I’m an incredibly open, my FB has nothing but sarcastic meme’s, and I rarely post. I’m on here a fair amount of time, but hearing my phone ring sets my anxiety off, I wouldn’t be able to deal with someone calling me. Texting, sure, but calling and me not answering is a normal event. I use the call feature for emergencies only 🤣

I was thinking more specifically. If you have a forum member who may or may not know you outside of here, but is on your FB and can message you to check on you, or they have your personal # and can text you...


Post who they are here. Like I did.


So say you are thinking of someone or worried, you can look here and see (say me for example)...Gatorbytes contact is sabi'smom...send PM, ask if they have heard from you or if they can check on you...
Does that make sense?

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Elite Member
 
Pytheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,033
GypsyGhost has my Facebook, and we have spoken over email and phone, so I assume she has that too, but it’s been a while!
GatorBytes likes this.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Pytheis is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member
 
Stevenzachsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,795
I am FB friends with quite a few forum members. I also am not alone. I have family and friends to keep an eye on me and keep me out of trouble. So - for people like me, I'd hope that my family would come on the board and post, if anything happened to me. Or, at least post on FB, where one of y'all would see it and share here.

But, I definitely think members who are alone should have a buddy. I know someone here had been battling cancer and then disappeared. I honestly thought she had died. Then, she popped up on FB and I was so relieved. We really do care and worry about each other. I would gladly buddy up with anyone that feels the need.
ksotto333 and Sabis mom like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stevenzachsmom is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member
 
GatorBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 5,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
I am FB friends with quite a few forum members. I also am not alone. I have family and friends to keep an eye on me and keep me out of trouble. So - for people like me, I'd hope that my family would come on the board and post, if anything happened to me. Or, at least post on FB, where one of y'all would see it and share here.

But, I definitely think members who are alone should have a buddy. I know someone here had been battling cancer and then disappeared. I honestly thought she had died. Then, she popped up on FB and I was so relieved. We really do care and worry about each other. I would gladly buddy up with anyone that feels the need.

That's awesome! Can't think of anyone more trustworthy!
Who is the one who popped up on FB, were they from the Thread Killers thread? Pink wig?
ksotto333 likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Knighted Member
 
ksotto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,785
It's a new world we are learning to live with, so many internet "friends" but not as much real personal contact. I'm in the same position as Jan, fortunate enough to have plenty of family and friends. I would welcome being a buddy if someone out here would like to have a contact person. So if anyone would like, send me a pm and I will reciprocate. Learning about the suicide was hard, if there is a way to help someone I'm good with that.
GatorBytes and Sabis mom like this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD



ksotto333 is online now  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
So how would this work? We just post that we are open to the idea and wait for someone to chose us? I know, for me, I’m an incredibly open, my FB has nothing but sarcastic meme’s, and I rarely post. I’m on here a fair amount of time, but hearing my phone ring sets my anxiety off, I wouldn’t be able to deal with someone calling me. Texting, sure, but calling and me not answering is a normal event. I use the call feature for emergencies only 🤣

I was thinking more specifically. If you have a forum member who may or may not know you outside of here, but is on your FB and can message you to check on you, or they have your personal # and can text you...


Post who they are here. Like I did.


So say you are thinking of someone or worried, you can look here and see (say me for example)...Gatorbytes contact is sabi'smom...send PM, ask if they have heard from you or if they can check on you...
Does that make sense?
Got it. I’m not friends with any forum members. I was involved with the spin off thread killer group on FB, but that was quite a number of years ago.

I know I’ve been through some tough times lately, and used the forum to spill the beans. It was very helpful because I don’t have family to turn to, and while DH is great, he just doesn’t understand. He had the all American upbringing, his parents are still together, they do family gatherings on purpose with no one getting drunk and starting fist fights. His background is just as alien to me as mine is to him.

If anyone wants to buddy up, let me know, I wouldn’t be opposed to it, and I’m an extreme introvert, so you won’t get texts or messages unless it seemed like said person was falling down a worm hole.
GatorBytes and Sabis mom like this.
Jchrest is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:45 AM
Crowned Member
 
Sabis mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
So a couple threads got me thinking about our community here. Some related to suicide, some to wondering what happened to a regular poster who has not been here for awhile, to someone we haven't heard from in a few yrs that we know may have had some troubles or health issues.


Of course some of us want to remain anonymous or only open (real names) to a handful of people via PM.
With this autonomy, we don't really have a way of reaching out or have someone to contact to reach out if we find something a bit off with them....like not posting in awhile when a reg.


I started a thread asking about Carmspack for example.
Stevenandzacsmom (sp.?) started a thread to advise about DaisyandLuckysmom passing away


Awhile back, a very young lady from this forum committed suicide. It was brought forth here as a memorial to her b/c someone on the forum had her digits. She had a chocolate pom "the honorary GSD as she called him"
Someone reached out (Huntergreen I believe), via an emerg thread b/c he read alarm bells via a members post and acted...the mods got involved and everything. Wow.


So I thought, we should have an emerg contact list here. Someone who has your personal number, email, FB, whatever that we can contact to check on you or you on them.


I'll go first.
Sabi's mom. She knows how to get ahold. Has all contact info, address incl. and can send cops to my door if needed
Carmspack has my email, address and I think phone number
Back at ya Honey!
GB has what contact info I have, including hubby's number for all the good that might do. @Jax08, @selzer and @Sunsilver all have me on Facebook as well.

ETA Anyone who needs a buddy can PM me your details. I can post my actual name but I don't think my FB security settings allow friend requests. I have an incredibly rare last name so I am a bit easy to track.
GatorBytes likes this.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 10-15-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Sabis mom is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:15 AM
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 31,764
Wow, this is scary. Little pebbles falling and then the avalanche comes down.

I am terrified that someone will haul my butt to a hospital. They will kick me out quick when they find out how much my insurance won't pay. But, if the pink slip you, they have to keep you for so many hours/days. (I always worry that once they get their hands on me, they won't let me go.)

But I worry about my dogs. I have a much more manageable number now, but my dad is 77 and my mom is housebound and my brothers are weenies when it comes to GSDs. So, they'd come and take my dogs, and I might never get them back. And that would kill me. I have puppies right now. Puppies don't do well in shelters, and our shelter regularly puts down lots of dogs due to parvo. It's flat out terrifying.

The other thing is being on the other side of this. First of all, I'm usually the last person to notice or know. If say, Karen was my buddy, and she started talking about something, I don't know when to actually send in the troops. If something did happen, and I didn't, I'd feel bad about that forever. This is why, when I talked to the pastor about starting a group, I wanted it to be headed by a therapist. Him and I are fine, but I am not trained in knowing how/when to take ideation to the next level.

A gal at work last year, told me that she had gone home the day before and kissed her baby, and then locked herself in the bedroom and got the gun and was going to kill herself. Her boy friend was yelling at her, and she said she was afraid of going back to the hospital, so she stopped. And I was thinking, uhm, what do I do with this information? Is she hoping that I will call someone and get her what she needs? I was totally at a loss. I told her that her baby needs her. She told me back that she thinks the baby is better off without a mother as crazy as she is. I told her no way. I talked to her for an hour. I went home, and was so relieved when I came in the next day and she was there.

I just don't know, I'm sorry.
Sabis mom likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
selzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome