My thread was closed, just need to say... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 269Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My thread was closed, just need to say...

That thread was personal, yes. But it was not against the rules. I have been here 14 years or so, and I go by my name and my general location is listed, in fact, I am in the white pages, as I have a land line.

My thing is that by being silenced, and by hiding and protecting ourselves we are actually blaming the victims and making them bear the burden of secrecy.

As for the idea that some folks can't manage this type of thread, well, no one is keeping them from clicking out of it, like they clicked into it. And what they can't manage to read, many of us lived through.

And, it is true that people do like to hear perspectives from folks they have things in common with.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Banned

I didn’t realize it had been closed. I agree with you completely Sue, it’s our decision on what to click on, and what not to click on. And yes, this feels like people wanting to silence victims because it upsets their view on life. Pretty sad.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 AM

I also disagree with it being closed. So sorry to hear that. I thought it was a very brave post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:40 AM

The thread was closed because of increasingly violent and graphic content as the thread progressed.The really cringe worthy things were removed.The premise of the thread was not against the rules.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:55 AM

“Really cringe worthy things”? Far worse can be found on the internet... And those “cringeworthy things” are some people’s realities and things they have to live with every single day. I’m utterly speechless.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yeah, I am on the newsfeed of the child abuse facebook site, and it's almost daily that another small child is murdered. Cringeworthy is hearing how one of these murderers is out on a 5K or 50K bond, where I hear on the news a woman who may or may not have been under the influence, killed a construction worker and fled the scene, she has a million dollar bond.

Something is not working in our society. Being uncomfortable with a topic, and locking it, and hoping it will go quietly under the rug where it belongs, is what we have done for decades. It isn't working. We need to protect children. And silence and secrecy increases the problem. There is an argument that this isn't the place, but I think the place is everywhere, and that is shown by how many folks here have a similar history.

Perhaps that is what attracts us to big, formidable dogs. Another common problem in our society is depression, drug addiction and overdoses, and suicide. Often a component of that is chronic loneliness and isolation. If I had a nickel for ever person who has said that they care more about their dog, or they have their dog they do not need friends... I find that very sad. I think we, many of us who struggle with loneliness and depression, do find solace in our dogs, and maybe we let ourselves depend too heavily on our canine companions. Many of us feel their dogs need canine companionship, but don't seem to apply that to humans at all.

I feel safer with my dogs. I have lived for my dogs. I find purpose with what I do with dogs. I feel less lonely because of my dogs. I never come home to an empty house because of my dogs, BUT dogs are not everything, and we do need the human connection. And, we find dog-people.

There are sites for folks who have survived shtuff. But they are all steeped in the language and mindset of psychology today. And they serve a purpose and there is nothing wrong with that. But dog people are closer to normal, they are my people. They are spending a life time focusing on something outside of themselves, perhaps an extension of themselves. But in some ways they are butts and tails ahead of folks whose focus is entirely within themselves. Having dogs, opens us to dog-people, and it opens us to dog events, and dog sports and accomplishing something through training, and maybe getting out of bed because the dogs need to eat, walking because the dogs need exercise.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:09 AM
Crowned Member

Well this is interesting. I find it really sad that anytime a victim gathers the courage to speak someone tells them to shut up. Not just here but everywhere. We can talk in secret amongst ourselves but don't dare make JQP listen/read. Heaven forbid someone gets disturbed.
I'm sorry Sue. That really is cold. You know I'm here if you ever need.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 AM
Elite Member

'They are spending a life time focusing on something outside of themselves,'

This is why, in my opinion, we dog owners are mostly healthier, and live longer and better, than those without pets.

Someone I deeply honour and respect, an Australian indigenous leader, recently said, 'Most of our wounds come through relationships, ............ but so does healing.'
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Master Member

I like another member saw it as a healing thread...I was stunned and saddened by how many members had the same thing in common....sorry the thread got shutdown and closed.....for those that may have considered it way off topic.....nope it was right on topic because it spoke to why some members chose dogs over people and why a GSD over other breeds.....

I sincerely hope that now.... knowing what they have in common... that some members will reach out to each other just to talk....sooo Selzer along with all the great GSD knowledge you bring to the forum...maybe just maybe the right young girl just passing through the forum will read your closed "who I am,really" thread and get the courage to speak up to the right people.... and not feel dirty or that it's somehow their fault....I really do hope so....prayers

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:15 PM

The thread was shamefully closed after some women expressed intense anger about child abuse and rape. Many men, and some women, are very frightened by women who are angry, especially when their anger is so well justified.

There was no reason to close the thread. The moderator could simply have removed the angry content that he/she objected to, although this also would have been inappropriate.

People who try to silence abuse survivors enable the abusers.

It's not just women who get furious about child abuse. A vicious pedophile was recently stabbed to death in prison, presumably by other male inmates:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/british...her-found-dead

Warning: The description of what he did is not pretty. He will never harm a child again. His supposed "life sentences" meant that he could have gotten out in 25 years. Possibly sooner on some legal technicality. Not anymore. Made my day.

To Selzer and the other survivors who posted in the closed thread: Your voices have been heard. I hope you all continue to make your voices heard, no matter how many people try to silence you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page