Just for fun. Odd GSD habits? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
...our guy will come to my side of the bed and bark in my face until I get up. The minute I'm out of bed, he lies down and goes back to sleep. He's not a morning person.
I would find this incredibly annoying! I love my precious SLEEP...

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Our GSD loves to do a big dramatic sigh then plop himself on the ground if he feels like we haven’t given him enough attention lol, even after one of us has been petting/scratching him for the last 30 minutes straight!

Other quirks he has is:

He won’t sleep on his back, or “balls up” as we call it in our household unless he’s up against a corner or up against the wall leaning on floor molding. For some reason he loves the support the wall provides. He has his own bed which he sleeps in but in the middle of the night when you hear something scratching your wall, not the most pleasant way to wake up �� I’ll try insert a photo

He is not a public pooper or likes to poop when connected to a leash. No matter how many walks we’ve been on in the neighborhood, and even on 2 day cross country road trip with potty breaks he will not poop. Only time he will poop is if he’s unleashed (we are not off leash people) in a secured area where we see it’s safe for him to roam or in our backyard. So all those doggie poop bags and even doggie bag holders we have at home have become useless. But it’s nice to have a routine of taking him for walks then taking him straight into the backyard to do his business. He has no problem peeing and even marking his territory though lol

*Edit*
Oh and another thing is he also isn’t a cuddler/lap dog, which I envy with other dog owners lol. He loves scratches and being pet but when it comes to going to bed and relaxing on his own, he wants his own personal space lol. He’s a den dog personality so he loves his crate, but he’s also turned our walk in closet into his own luxury den �� If you can’t find him anywhere in the house, he’s most likely in the master bedroom walk in closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9CDF4B1-E2D1-4F9D-9271-76F0591269AA.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	526137   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF445805-56A9-48B1-8AAD-0400193030C1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	526139  

Last edited by JJMM; 10-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

@JJMM, that is hilarious! Our Mal is always “balls out” but without the balls 😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4949D4CB-2C61-476C-A7DA-820C2615D387_1570667119320.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	526143  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Siggy will occasionally nibble my arm the way dogs scratch themselves with their teeth— you know, front teeth close together, lips pulled out of the way, tiny, fast bites on the surface of the skin. It’s actually quite painful and leaves little raised bruises. I don’t know if he thinks he’s ridding me of fleas, or what. (We’re working on eliminating that behavior, but it is weird, for sure.)
He also likes to walk on the back of the couch, like a cat. He climbs ladders like a cat, too. Our cat, on the other hand, comes when called, like a dog, will meow back if you call his name, like a dog, and prefers the dog’s food to his own.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:07 AM
Master Member

@JJMM
that sleeping position is incredible...how is that even comfortable!!

@JewelLaverne
your cat sounds great...I've never met a cat like that. ( Have you seen the recent media about the study that cats love their owners as much as dogs do? https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/23/healt...-wellness-scn/ )

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:45 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
@JJMM
that sleeping position is incredible...how is that even comfortable!!

@JewelLaverne
your cat sounds great...I've never met a cat like that. ( Have you seen the recent media about the study that cats love their owners as much as dogs do? https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/23/healt...-wellness-scn/ )
My daughter's friend had a cat that was so concerned when she was very sick, it accompanied her into the shower. That was a great cat!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:35 AM

@GSDchoice: My cat thinks I am the greatest person on earth when he’s hungry. Once he’s eaten, he could take me or leave me. Since I’m the one who feeds him, he mostly ignores the rest of the family. Siggy thinks he is fascinating, but the feeling is not mutual. He is a funny guy. He was a rescue— the shelter he was at (he was apparently a surrender, though I don’t know why) had him scheduled to be euthanized because he is FIV+ (cat HIV). Though he has no symptoms, was only about a year old, and it is only transmittable to other cats (and, since he’s neutered, it’s pretty hard for him to transmit it to another cat), not humans, dogs, or any other species, that shelter apparently tests all cats for FIV and euthanizes all that test positive. Anyway, a local rescue group luckily saw him and recognized that he was sweet and adoptable and rescued him, then we saw him and adopted him.
Anyway, sorry that was off-topic. But I find it weird how dog-ish he is, while our dog is weirdly cat-ish.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 AM

Thanks guys! Lol, no idea how he finds that sleeping position comfortable but that’s his favorite and if you happened to get up off the couch or bed and startle/accidentally wake him out of that position he’ll let out the biggest groan and sigh ever like waking a teenager up on a Saturday morning 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page