It Works! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

It Works!

Today, like everyday, I walked down my street with my dog, and in one particular house, two Staffordshire Terrier-type dogs slammed against the window, barking and snarling at us, then when we passed out of view of the window, they ran through the house, out a door, and across the yard to bark at us behind the fence. I've always thought that one day they would break through the window (which is usually open, so there's only a flimsy screen) or bust through the shoddy, needs-to-be-replaced fence to get to us. Well, that finally happened.

As we walked past, they were barking in the window and I was praising my girl for not reacting to them. We got a house or two down when I heard a crash. Sure enough, they broke through the fence. I immediately put my dog behind me and stepped firmly toward them and yelled, "Get out of here!" They backed off, but as soon as I turned my back, they came at us again. I did the same thing a second time, only firmer, and that time they took off for good. I hurried home.

Lesson learned for me:
Dogs WILL break through a fence if determined enough, but no matter what show they're putting on (hackles up, tail high, ears back, snarling) you can probably get them to back off if you're forceful enough with them.

Lesson learned for my dog:
She has no need to react to strange dogs because she can trust that I will handle them.

I learned what to do when strange dogs charge you from people on this forum, so thanks for that.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Good for you and your dog! This has worked every time for me too but I never saw these dogs again as it was on trails or on the beach and not in my neighborhood. Hope they don't get acquainted with your response/. Did you report them to AC?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I did not report them. I am on good terms with these neighbors, and I was planning on going over and having a discussion with them. Based on dealings with them in the past, I believe we'll be able to resolve this with no issues, but if that isn't the case, I will definitely report them next time. I do not want anyone attacked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 PM

Excellent!You did exactly the right thing

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 PM

Nice job!!!

I have one of these too. I don't know exactly what mix it is, but maybe some sort of large pit/labish mix? Large wide head, very muscular. Pissed off every time we walk by. We just ignore him.

He jumps on the window when inside, and sounds evil when on the outside. They have a little 4 foot fence that he could easily jump, but hasn't yet.

One time when the owners were there as we walked by, they shut him up and told me what a wonderfully behaved dog I had. Shasta doesn't even look at him anymore. I was so proud.

Then they said they were sorry, and can't teach an old dog new tricks...... In other words, they don't have the will to work with the dog and do a little training......
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I find the owners are often harder to train than the dogs.
dogma13, Custom Billet and LRP like this.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 AM

That is awesome. I always tell people that almost every time, what you did will work even on aggressive dogs. It worked for me with a dog who broke through a wall (!) to get at me and my dog. Congratulations, you did exactly the right thing.

I hope the owners do right by their dogs and you, now that they know this is a possibility.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:41 PM

Excellent! I will have to remember that if dogs ever do that to us.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

Another thing I have 'invented" and I have mentioned this in another thread is to blow a referee whistle as hard as I can as soon as I see a dog come with bad intentions. Has also worked like a charm. But make sure your own dog associates this loud noise with treats so train her/him first before you ever need it to ward off dogs. I use it once in a while randomly on trails (without anyone else around!) with Deja to keep it ingrained and not necessarily associated with dog issues. She turns around in mid-air when she hears it.
Saco likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah there are a lot of loose dogs encountered in walks or seems in spurts. Keep walking and ignore works. Many of the dogs won’t wonder to far away off their property and loose interest fast. Most of the dogs are harmless a few will real pushy and it is always good to be prepared in that moment feel things out instincts kick in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page