Heidigsd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Take a study stick on a walk with you.
If you have to use a stick, you can injure your own dog and/or get into a fight with its owner.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
Today, like everyday, I walked down my street with my dog, and in one particular house, two Staffordshire Terrier-type dogs slammed against the window, barking and snarling at us, then when we passed out of view of the window, they ran through the house, out a door, and across the yard to bark at us behind the fence. I've always thought that one day they would break through the window (which is usually open, so there's only a flimsy screen) or bust through the shoddy, needs-to-be-replaced fence to get to us. Well, that finally happened.

As we walked past, they were barking in the window and I was praising my girl for not reacting to them. We got a house or two down when I heard a crash. Sure enough, they broke through the fence. I immediately put my dog behind me and stepped firmly toward them and yelled, "Get out of here!" They backed off, but as soon as I turned my back, they came at us again. I did the same thing a second time, only firmer, and that time they took off for good. I hurried home.

Lesson learned for me:
Dogs WILL break through a fence if determined enough, but no matter what show they're putting on (hackles up, tail high, ears back, snarling) you can probably get them to back off if you're forceful enough with them.

Lesson learned for my dog:
She has no need to react to strange dogs because she can trust that I will handle them.

I learned what to do when strange dogs charge you from people on this forum, so thanks for that.
Your dogs behavior is brag worthy. I stopped walking on my street, to many new neighbors and new dogs (often loose and angry) to deal with. It use to be the perfect street to keep walking while teaching to ignore but not any longer.

And good for you keeping peace with the neighbor. Our last encounter didn't go as well neighborwise, they were all apologetic when it happened, but when I next was walking they became very defensive, told them I didn't want to fight or argue, wife did a 360 turn around into denial what had happened. It wasn't worth anymore effort so I did call AC just to have it on record in case it happened again.

Get to know who your AC is and if they are reasonable and with good dog sense. It may come in handy in case both sides of a story don't quite match up.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Master Member

What you did worked for me too, but only for the first couple of times...:-(
the few times after that, the dog ignored me, ran swiftly by me, and leapt at my dog! So beware...

My dog defended himself well, growling, teeth bared, head-on...and then owner dragged other dog away, so no harm done.
The owner always promised it would never happen again.

However when the other dog began to bite his owner on the leash-holding hand to get him to drop the leash,
that's when I gave up and called Animal Control.
| didn't want to spend my life walking in my own neighborhood with a can of Halt (they live just 3 houses down)
and I was fed up after 5 offleash attacks and this dog rattling the windows and door every time we walked by.

After the visit from Animal Control, they got much better at controlling their dogs, and things are quiet/OK now!
sigh, but that's what it took.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Elite Member

My neighbor has 2 large Bully breeds. We have a 4 foot fence between us. I put up tall tiki fencing to break the visual contact which worked for 2 years. All of the sudden, recently, they are trying to push their heads through and are being very aggressive at the fence. Since nothing has actually happened, it is up to me to put in a taller fence. It is a 4ft stockade. The posts are also 4 foot and are deep in the ground and cemented in. It would cost me 4k to permit and replace. Not happy.

Glad to hear your reaction was thought out and successful. Sounds like your dog had good behavior as well. Yay team I'd definitely chat with that neighbor asap. Dogs test fences and boundaries, both physical and behavioral response wise. Be safe <3

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 PM

When I first moved here, I had issues with 3 neighbors along my road. 1 had a pit bull/lab mix that busted through their front door & latched onto my dogs neck. Blood everywhere, but my dog wasn't hurt. We figure the neighbor's dog's tooth got stuck/pulled out from the chain part of my dog's martingale collar. Called animal control & they pretended not to be home until the officer proceeded to go into their yard, then explained his Dad just died & he has been drinking & prob didn't have the door latched all the way shut.

Other lady had 3 pits that'd be loose & usually stayed along back of her property except 1 of them would rush up at us. I finally kept it from biting our female Husky by kicking it in the jaw, mid bite. I had called animal control on her 3 times. Last straw was when she started yelling at me coz she couldn't catch her dog cos I wouldn't stay in 1 place with my dog when it was coming after us. She apparently got tired of visits & threat of a fine from animal control that she moved. Was just renting the house.

The other had a yellow lab that the owner though was well behaved & wasn't. Finally a police officer happened to be on our street & witnessed his dog cross the street & bite at our dog. Thing is, we had to ask the officer to go have a talk with him. That it happens on a regular basis. Not long after that, the dog went to live with his sister, so now we only have to watch out for it when she visits (usually holidays)

Hope all stays well with the neighbors. I don't care if the neighbors like me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page