Ideas for repelling squirrels and cats? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ideas for repelling squirrels and cats?

Iím looking for ideas to keep squirrels and cats away from our garden. Squirrels like to take one bite out of everything and have caused a lot of damage. Cats donít bother the plants/ vegetables, but are still a nuisance in other ways and I would rather they stay off my property.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

Ugh yeah even if cats are not on my property they torment the dogs or more like Luna in the street along side the property.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Crowned Member

Eh... a GSD?
I gave up my garden for that very same reason and shop for my veggies. Huge relief. And it added property to play in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

I wish they would stay out of my yard. It makes my dogs crazy that they arenít allowed to herd them.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Eh... a GSD?
I gave up my garden for that very same reason and shop for my veggies. Huge relief. And it added property to play in.
We didn't plant last year primarily due to the number of squirrels and the amount of damage they've caused. It wouldn't be so bad if they'd take a few strawberries or tomatoes, instead they take one or two bites out of everything. We were lucky to get a few tomatoes off each plant as most were damaged.

My dogs do try to offer their services when the opportunity exist, but the collateral damage makes that option unviable, lol! Tuke was watching a squirrel passing back and forth from our roof to a tree branch. I never thought in a million years she could jump that high as big as she's is, however she proved me wrong.
GatorBytes and Sunsilver like this.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Around here it's the chipmunks that have to taste everything.It is aggravating.I have no solution either

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 PM

Get a GSD.
GatorBytes likes this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Master Member

.22?
asibley likes this.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post
.22?
In a different location, absolutely!
asibley likes this.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

I gave up my garden as well. I thought it was squirrels eating up my garden only to discover it was actually rats. At night Ziva will spend hours sniffing all around the yard and dig trenches (which we were sure they were mole tunnels. Some are). Then one day I found a jalapeno pepper from my garden sticking out of a small hole where our A/C line goes through the foundation. I thought maybe a mouse until we had it inspected. The crew pulled the insulation and the rats went running out. I was so grossed out. We had no idea. I actually got sick and then cried.
In hind site it explained why for no reason, frequently at night in the house, she would jump up and start barking for no apparent reason and start sniffing. She could her the gross buggers under the house.
We had the foundation sealed up of every tiny hole. I know they are gone from the crawl space and Ziva doesn't indicate anymore either. Then they took up residence in my gas grill. Nothing like planning to grill up some yummy steaks to open the grill and find the bottom full of rat droppings...UGH!!! So yeah...I don't use that anymore either. Having a GSD hunting them doesn't seem to deter them one bit. I tried some pet safe rat killer. Don't know if it worked as I haven't found any dead rats anywhere.
I suspect several of our neighbors probably have them and just don't know it. Once we evicted them they had to go somewhere.
I live in the suburbs and this rat problem is a new thing. I don't know why after 30 years we started having an issue but we have it now and it sucks.
So no garden, no grilling...

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page