Ideas for repelling squirrels and cats? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
I gave up my garden as well. I thought it was squirrels eating up my garden only to discover it was actually rats. At night Ziva will spend hours sniffing all around the yard and dig trenches (which we were sure they were mole tunnels. Some are). Then one day I found a jalapeno pepper from my garden sticking out of a small hole where our A/C line goes through the foundation. I thought maybe a mouse until we had it inspected. The crew pulled the insulation and the rats went running out. I was so grossed out. We had no idea. I actually got sick and then cried.
In hind site it explained why for no reason, frequently at night in the house, she would jump up and start barking for no apparent reason and start sniffing. She could her the gross buggers under the house.
We had the foundation sealed up of every tiny hole. I know they are gone from the crawl space and Ziva doesn't indicate anymore either. Then they took up residence in my gas grill. Nothing like planning to grill up some yummy steaks to open the grill and find the bottom full of rat droppings...UGH!!! So yeah...I don't use that anymore either. Having a GSD hunting them doesn't seem to deter them one bit. I tried some pet safe rat killer. Don't know if it worked as I haven't found any dead rats anywhere.
I suspect several of our neighbors probably have them and just don't know it. Once we evicted them they had to go somewhere.
I live in the suburbs and this rat problem is a new thing. I don't know why after 30 years we started having an issue but we have it now and it sucks.
So no garden, no grilling...
Ouch! That would be crazy! I think I'll stop complaining now.

I trapped a squirrel (live) a couple years ago. My neighbor who feeds them was having a fit (she feeds them peanuts by hand). So while talking with her, squirrels started coming out of everywhere to catch a glimpse of their imprisioned buddy. I thought my problem was 2 or 3 squirrels, I had no idea there were so many.
Springbrz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Aww yeah I would never hurt the cats they keep away the mice. You can fence off entire property including front yard Keep dogs run of the yard and cats out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Master Member

Good thread. I've been growing 2 Asian pear trees for over 20 years. I have yet to eat one pear. Every year towards the end of the summer, it gets really hot and the squirrels raid my pears (which at that point are golf ball sized.) The thing that pisses me off is the squirrels don't even like the pears. They take one bite and dump them around the base of the tree. Then the deer come and eat all the ones on the ground and leave scat and ticks all over my yard preventing me from playing with my dog back there.

Some of you suggested leaving the dog outside. Can't do that, he'll get fried from the sun and the heat AND there are other animal distractions (deer, foxes, rabbits, box turtles, ground hogs, turkey vultures, hawks, blue jays, cardinals, crows, etc. The list goes on. Obviously I don't have a fenced in yard. I've tried all sorts of things to save the pears but those squirrels are smarter than me right now. Again, I can't leave the dog outside...the neighbors will complain about the barking. The other reason is because of the deer, I gotta watch out for the ticks. I've already found a tick on my knee last week. First one this year. So it all starts from those squirrels.

I know some of you have said, use a gun like a .22. I can't. 1)I live in one of the most liberal states in the country. Gun control is quite tight here. Not sure of the law. But I'm quite sure I'd be going to jail for a while if I was caught firing a gun in a residential zone. 2) I live in the suburbs. Houses are all around me. My neighbors would tattle. And 3) I've got one cop that lives in one of the houses behind me past the wooded area.

This year...it looks like the largest crop yet, but I'm preparing for the idea that I won't get to eat one. Anyway, if anyone has a successful idea to keep those squirrels away, looks like a few of us would like to hear about it. And thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

I wonder if the squirrels would leave fruit/vegetables alone if a feeder of yummier stuff that they actually like was set up away from gardens and fruit trees???

I had a garden for years and never had trouble with the squirrels and we have them everywhere. But now that I think of it the women who used to own the house behind me always had bird feeders. The squirrels were always dining at them. New owners a took them down.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

@tc68 I’m surrounded my woods and had put up a deer fence in wooded area almost doubled the fence to make it taller- for the dogs. It does not take awAy the look of the woods and blends in. It keeps the deer out so do the dogs but the deer would rarely attempt to hop the fence once it was made higher. Helps keep the wild turkeys out. No animals needed to get shot and the dogs do keep wild animals away from the backyard. They were nice when they visited but ticks can be issue.There was a time I had deer,wild turkeys , feral cats, squirrels, a ground hog and birds eating food that fell from the bird feeder all at once and all ignored each other. I have a photo of that to. That was before the shepherds lol but that bird feeder did attract all the animals in f the forest.

post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:25 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
I wonder if the squirrels would leave fruit/vegetables alone if a feeder of yummier stuff that they actually like was set up away from gardens and fruit trees???

I had a garden for years and never had trouble with the squirrels and we have them everywhere. But now that I think of it the women who used to own the house behind me always had bird feeders. The squirrels were always dining at them. New owners a took them down.
I've tried that. What that does is actually bring more animals around.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:39 PM
Elite Member

I never had squirrels go after my garden but one did demolish two of my patio chair cushions for the stuffing. He was pretty daring as I have two cats and my boy is on the deck a lot. Son went hunting, a hawk took up residence in the tree and had a couple meals from that.

I was thinking some kind of tree trunk barrier might keep squirrels from climbing similar to some squirrel proof bird feeders. I googled squirrel proofing fruit trees. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...ruit-trees.ham

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:40 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
@tc68 I’m surrounded my woods and had put up a deer fence in wooded area almost doubled the fence to make it taller- for the dogs. It does not take awAy the look of the woods and blends in. It keeps the deer out so do the dogs but the deer would rarely attempt to hop the fence once it was made higher. Helps keep the wild turkeys out. No animals needed to get shot and the dogs do keep wild animals away from the backyard. They were nice when they visited but ticks can be issue.There was a time I had deer,wild turkeys , feral cats, squirrels, a ground hog and birds eating food that fell from the bird feeder all at once and all ignored each other. I have a photo of that to. That was before the shepherds lol but that bird feeder did attract all the animals in f the forest.
Yeah, I was hoping that it didn't involve fencing. Because then I have to get approval from the HOA and they only allow certain kinds of fencing. Too much of a hassle dealing with the HOA. Not to mention I don't have a big plot of land here in the suburbs (somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 acre). Putting up fencing limits the (play) space to just my yard. Right now, my neighbors allow the dog to run into their yard when catching a frisbee. Putting up fencing means I can't really "run" him so easily anymore. Anyway thanks for the suggestion. In the end I may have to do that. I'm just trying not to spend the money on these things because I plan on moving away to another state. Sorry, TMI.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:25 AM
Knighted Member

My husband used a pellet gun, (we did live in town then). We never had an issue with the squirrels bothering our garden, we had a large strawberry patch, and at least 12 tomato plants each year. Maybe different parts of the country, they have different eating habits. They just made us crazy tormenting the dogs. Good luck, I would hate to give up a garden.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I think a may have found something.

Springbrz and dogma13 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page