no shows: topic of conversation - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
. . .You can post up all the poop fans you want, but I literally see this day to day for seriously petty stuff.
I used the graphic of, "poop hitting the fan", which to me means a day of reckoning (as in what you post coming back to bite you). You may be interpreting in a way that wasn't intended (i.e. BS). I actually appreciated your post, as it prompted me to brush up on my privacy tactics.

I understand deep pockets and that if someone has an agenda, with enough money and time, they can likely find something to present for litigation. I completely understand why the lady in NJ became a target of in-depth discovery of info. Anyone putting their self in the middle of a public controversy or political situation is definitely a target for people who will spare no cost in order to find something to discredit them (whether justified on not).

So, I guess a prudent person participating on a forum should:
  • Take measures to hide their IP address
  • Use a truly anonymous e-mail address for public forums
  • Be careful what you put in a profile
  • Remove personal id from photos (better yet, don't post photos)
  • Be careful what you share about yourself and your dog. (i.e. don't share any info that identifies you or your dog). Thinking that using a simple first name (i.e. Rover), that doesn't designate the ancestry is okay.

Just thinking that the average member on a forum, who is reasonable cautious, will be okay (unless you are a troll and seek controversy). If you are rich, famous, in politics, a public figure or encounter someone with deep pockets and an axe to grind, you are more apt to be a target.
Heartandsoul likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

Sorry yes I did misunderstand! If you are skilled (or can follow very detailed directions) you can set up your own private VPN which hides a lot. You can even make it look like your IP address is coming from another company. It's how my European ex husband watches sports events not available to stream in the states. Me, I'm not that tech.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
I'm curious about the e-discovery issue. Plenty of people troll or lie or whatever on internet forums. Certainly nobody on here has taken a vow to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

I'd certainly recommend people don't use their dog's name, or give details of the time and date and incident if there was any sort of liability.

But couldn't a lawyer credibly argue that posts on forums are often either mis-truths or exaggerations/lie? Thus, not admissible evidence?
The E Discovery finds it, identifies it. Then depending on type of case/matter it has to be examined and deemed admissible. The amount of money involved is spectacular. If you said on a forum..and let's be dramatic because only a large case would have people spending that much money " I am afraid my dog hates children!" and then he mauls a wealthy person's child at a public park, and you don't live in a state that has strict caps on liability/pain/suffering lawsuits (NJ does) ..it would be worth a person's time to go all e forensic on you.

In reality a dog bite isn't going to go so far ...maybe a Private Investigator level where a good PI will start with a google search, or search the most popular breed forums. If you use your dog's full name or where you train? Easy peasy. FB is easier to troll on that way. Hello screenshots!!

Even before E Discovery ..think back to the Diane Whipple case with the Presas that killed that lady. They acquired by subpoena and search warrant all kinds of good (bad) stuff about the owners... private letters, etc.

Again with your average dog bite things are probably limited to what is right in people's faces like your FB or IG. Only someone with a vendetta and big pockets will go beyond.

However, a lot of people do wear tin foil hats these days and it isn't too far off the mark- the transparency they fear. So they may conduct themselves in such a way that edges into paranoia. People like that are the ones who benefit the most from the rambling threads where OP never comes back...because they aren't going to air their own woes themselves lol

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
Just wondering how an insurance company could tie an anonymous poster on this website to some civil action.
Easy: in a civil case in some places, they can send a simple interrogatory during discovery that's now so common as to be routine -- it's a formal question under the discovery rules, e.g., asking you to identify all social media accounts, message boards, or other places on which you've posted about the dog, your username (and in some cases even your password to look for deleted posts). You have to send back a response that's complete and binding on you, with a legal obligation to be accurate -- so you'd have to identify this board, and your handle (at minimum), in response to a request about places where you made online statements about your dog. See:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/interrogatory

They may also propound requests for copies of online posts about the dog or whatever the subject of the litigation is. Again, you have to send them. The interrogatories and requests for things like posts are simple form language that take almost no time to prepare --there's no significant cost in asking.

Then their lawyers will go over each one of the online accounts you identified and the posts they're interested in by asking live questions, in a sworn deposition, and end by asking if you left any off. It's testimony under penalty of perjury. Contempt sanctions are also out there as a penalty for lying in civil discovery.

None of your anonymous IP and other stuff matters -- YOU have to disclose when asked during discovery, it's almost always asked; if you don't, you're subject to serious penalties if caught.

Civil discovery isn't "optional." Getting at Electronically Stored Information in discovery is now so normal that it would be odd not to think of asking for it. Discovery doesn't get off the ground until a suit is actually filed, but it does happen eventually in most litigation.

YMMV depending on the state and/or country where you live. My answer only describes general American discovery practices patterned on the federal system. Much of American discovery is very different from the rest of the world, but it does even have some variation by state.
Jax08 and Heartandsoul like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 04-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Elite Member

^ like that.

My company's E Discovery process starts after a suit is filed. It usually starts with the subpoena of an email account (do you get notifications?) and often HDDs, laptops.

I am not particularly covert...mostly because I know it honestly would not matter over something serious lol If I don't want everyone to know about it either now or in the future, I only communicate about it verbally in person to people I trust.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 AM

To all, I come here to the forum to learn and I have learned a lot (except I still can’t post pictures for some reason) and to all of you I thank you. If I don’t get back in a couple of days/weeks it’s because I don’t have the internet at my house so I have to use the library's computer (35 minute drive one way) and help my elder mom etc. The ONLY reason I would leave is because someone was purposely mean/rude. example-I went to this vet once and will never go back because (assistant#2) made a remark that she didn’t like where I rescued my one now passed dog(assistant#1 told me it was fine where I got my dog), then #2 kept telling me that I need a dog walker to exercise my dog (guess I couldn’t do it myself) then assistant#2 gave out my information/phone# to a family member on the phone who by chance worked at my company while I was paying the bill (assistant#1 was not happy about that and told her so) so I found a new vet.

Last edited by dojoson41; 04-11-2019 at 05:12 AM.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoson41 View Post
To all, I come here to the forum to learn and I have learned a lot (except I still canít post pictures for some reason) and to all of you I thank you. If I donít get back in a couple of days/weeks itís because I donít have the internet at my house so I have to use the library's computer (35 minute drive one way) and help my elder mom etc. The ONLY reason I would leave is because someone was purposely mean/rude. example-I went to this vet once and will never go back because (assistant#2) made a remark that she didnít like where I rescued my one now passed dog(assistant#1 told me it was fine where I got my dog), then #2 kept telling me that I need a dog walker to exercise my dog (guess I couldnít do it myself) then assistant#2 gave out my information/phone# to a family member on the phone who by chance worked at my company while I was paying the bill (assistant#1 was not happy about that and told her so) so I found a new vet.
Oh WOW I would have flipped over that! Glad you're here and yes it is very understandable not everyone can get back on often

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

I see this as being equivalent to people calling radio stations, asking a question, and then saying, “I will just hang up and listen.”

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I see this as being equivalent to people calling radio stations, asking a question, and then saying, ďI will just hang up and listen.Ē
Aside from the no shows, Sometimes just listening helps keep the conversation flowing. I can't tell you how many times I have interrupted a thread conversation with trivial info and the thread died when I thought it would help keep it going. I think that a well established online community understands when an active member is absent for a period of time and there is a fine line between showing concern without being intrusive of privacy. Most are sensitive to this.

And boy oh boy, have I learned a thing or three from this one.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

Although I get especially frustrated by the medical emergency threads that never get updated, I think many of our no-show-newbie threads on many topics end up creating really good learning opportunities and conversations for those of us who are usually here. Maybe we just have to view them as some outsider's conversation-starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page