no shows: topic of conversation - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

@Dunkirk, good point taken and there were a couple of other flaws in it that were noted. Basic rules are good and mine wasn't one of them.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
It is risky to put yourself out there for serious problems. A lot of people I am sure disappear because they got legal advice that started with "do not post ANYTHING on forums or social media".

For a living, I assist a lot of big insurance companies in defending law suits against their clients who they are insuring. My company collects their records. Forums, social media AND the PMS used within those platforms can absolutely be collected via subpoena and are admissible. "Oh so you knew your dog was possibly in danger of lighting someone up then?" The PMS are not your private property and there are no expectations of such. I have seen PMs off forums and Messenger successfully demanded and used. Though dog related issues REALLY don't go to trial or even Discovery usually it could still get you into hot water if in a civil lawsuit if someone can show you posted stuff about how bad your dog is. I have also first hand saw someone's admission on a FB group that their dog was a problem and asking for help cause a situation where a judge heard a motion and granted their ex's wishes that the dog is not present with their children. Bye bye dog that honestly was not a threat to kids, just other animals (DA).

Think before you post. It's out there and you can't bring it back. I am guilty of putting some stuff out there in the past and thought better of it later (nothing major though. When I did have a major problem I only put it in text after the dog was removed from my house and was PTS). All you can do is be more careful going forwards.

It absolutely defeats the purpose of a public forum, but smart people may not care about that and may be more cautious about sensitive stuff that could be condemning at a later date.

I understand how posting under your identity on Facebook, Twitter or some other form of media is easily traceable. Just wondering how an insurance company could tie an anonymous poster on this website to some civil action. For criminal cases, the police can get a search warrant and do an extensive review of data on your electronic devices. I'm thinking that for civil cases, they can't go on such a big fishing expedition.

As NaughtyNibbler (an anonymous person posting on this forum), someone would likely have to get a search warrant to abstract data from my electronic devices and do a forensic examination. I guess they could discover I had browser history for this website, then contact an administrator of this website, produce email addresses they found for me, and ask to see if my email addresses tied to a particular member, and then get a history of my posts.

In the recent past, I volunteered for a forum that offers support to people who have family members, spouses, children, or others in their life who have traits of or have been diagnosed with a personality disorder. It was stressed there that everyone was anonymous and that it was a safe place to share. Lots of people posting there were victims of domestic violence. Others were going through divorce, custody battles, false accusations, etc.

Would an insurance company really be able to track down and connect an anonymous user at German Shepherds.com to some civil litigation? There were lots of legal actions in process for many members, where I volunteered. I interacted with admin people there for awhile. I never heard of any issues and logon id's were policed for any possible real names.

post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

Yes, yes they could under a lot circumstance. If you post about your dog in name. If you have a link to your dog's pedigree as input in asking for said advice. Then it is easy. If you were careful about that they may have to pay to find out more about you and you real thoughts that you share with 10,000 users on a forum..but it is easily doable if you have cash flow.

There was a lady in Basking Ridge NJ who opposed a Mosque being built. They wanted to discount a vote against it and throw it out because she was a leader of a town group opposing it and her testimony and efforts were deemed pivotal in getting the permit turned down, and they said it was steeped in hate against Muslims. They acquired by subpoena her messenger history and a private investigator hired by the people wanting to build the Mosque used an E Discovery company to find out who she was on certain forums of a political nature. A basic 50 dollar motion before a judge had them identifying her IP address as that "anonymous" poster. They also were able to get her gmail records and found "notifications" from various private forums. SUPER easy. This was a town hall level case..city level. PIs get paid by individuals on a mission whether it is for a basic divorce, a frivolous lawsuit, etc. You can post up all the poop fans you want, but I literally see this day to day for seriously petty stuff. I think the average person assumes anonymity in name is enough ...but people who know E Discovery would beg to differ. And it doesn't matter how "big" a case is. It matters if the person who is driven to know info to use against someone has enough money to pay a PI and an E Discovery company to dig.

And as I stated in my post dog bites usually do not go to this level...but those who know how out there you are when you post on social media and forums tend to be overly cautious all around. And IT and other careers that tie into these platforms realize how transparent it is no matter what you call yourself for a screen name.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 AM
Crowned Member

This is not a new phenomenon. It has happened as long as I have been here. There are probably as many reasons for this as there are threads like this.

Some folks come here as a last stab, possibly to condone whatever action they were expecting to do. If it does not follow what they were intending to do, what a bunch of nuts, and they don't return.

Another might need a solution NOW, at 3:30AM, and when it does not come with 15 minutes, they check 3 other places, and either get an answer, or they do not, and give up. And don't come back.

They may indeed put a question on and then are unable to come back for several days.

I don't think we need to make a one-sized-fits-all solution for threads like this. Let them play out. Even if we help one person.... Here's the thing, a lot of our members do not come on every day. There may be great advice, what the OP needs to read from someone who, whoops, waited too long, this one's closed. And yes, even if the OP never comes back, someone else may have that same problem and might read that advice given 2-3 days later. And is helped.
Heartandsoul likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

It might not be intentional. A new member might not know how easy it is to find their own posts through their profile stats, and not be able to locate it again. Or they forget their passwords and can’t log back in. Site navigation must be learned here. New members should reminded to book mark their threads so they can find them again
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:55 AM

I'm curious about the e-discovery issue. Plenty of people troll or lie or whatever on internet forums. Certainly nobody on here has taken a vow to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

I'd certainly recommend people don't use their dog's name, or give details of the time and date and incident if there was any sort of liability.

But couldn't a lawyer credibly argue that posts on forums are often either mis-truths or exaggerations/lie? Thus, not admissible evidence?
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

Have seen this in real life several times. They called for private training, paid for it. I wrote a do-able training plan for them, giving them the option to call me if they had a question about this. I called back a few weeks later to check in: "Yeah....he is doing a liiiitle bit better...." No need for further help and saw the dog on CL later. ???????
People are often looking for quick fixes and don't put the work into it for some reason.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
I'm curious about the e-discovery issue. Plenty of people troll or lie or whatever on internet forums. Certainly nobody on here has taken a vow to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

I'd certainly recommend people don't use their dog's name, or give details of the time and date and incident if there was any sort of liability.

But couldn't a lawyer credibly argue that posts on forums are often either mis-truths or exaggerations/lie? Thus, not admissible evidence?
I think if what is dug up correlates to what the case or complaint is then there is the component of circumstantial evidence or something along those lines.

Way back when, I think there was an app that could be downloaded and easily used to identify exactly when a picture that was posted was located. It put parents in a justifiable tizzy.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 04-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
I think if what is dug up correlates to what the case or complaint is then there is the component of circumstantial evidence or something along those lines.

Way back when, I think there was an app that could be downloaded and easily used to identify exactly when a picture that was posted was located. It put parents in a justifiable tizzy.
Image metadata is a big deal, and it is very real.

Facebook and some other platforms strip metadata, but many others do not. Embedded within the image can be everything from inane details about camera type and shutter setting, down to more revealing things such as GPS coordinates.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Image metadata is a big deal, and it is very real.

Facebook and some other platforms strip metadata, but many others do not. Embedded within the image can be everything from inane details about camera type and shutter setting, down to more revealing things such as GPS coordinates.
Yup that's it. Thanks for validating. Computers, IPads etc confound me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page