GSDs with chickens: any advice? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:24 AM

I have a barred rock with my flock and she is just fine with the others. they do form their own pecking order but I find it is less dramatic when they are raised together as opposed to adding pullets to an already established flock.
sebrench likes this.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

[QUOTE= I do puppy style obedience outside the chicken run, then progress to obedience inside the chicken run, then fade that into the dog being simply allowed around the chickens. I correct for any chase precursors - eyeing, crouching, freezing up, so it never escalates to the point of actual chasing. It's a lot harder to break them of the habit once they learn how much fun birds are to chase. [/QUOTE]

I was just reviewing this thread because, well, the chicks are here! I was going to wait until July but I couldn't stand to wait any longer so I ordered some! I was just curious, what do you (or anyone) use for corrections for chase behavior?--a prong collar, electric collar, something else? I know that may be hard to answer because every dog is different. So far, so good. The chicks are in the brooder in the garage. I let the GSDs come with me when I check on them, and they don't seem that interested in the chicks at all.

Sorry to keep reviving this thread! This should be the last time, I promise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fTJHyzd4Q-WuJuLmVDU7lQ.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	521075   Click image for larger version

Name:	3GuwYeqkQ4KMbBArFPSZdQ.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	521077  

Last edited by sebrench; 05-17-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #73 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Administrator

I like this thread, don't apologize for bumping it lol.

Congratulations on your fluffballs I really think GSDs learn so much faster that chickens are permanent residents/members of the household (aka not squirrels) when they're around them often, and from the beginning. When it's time to proof manners with everyone outside, I use a leash/long line. Whatever method of correction your dogs are accustomed to should be fine.

Enjoy the fluffy phase, they grow so fast!
sebrench likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:23 PM

Nice, what breeds did you end up getting?
sebrench likes this.
post #75 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I like this thread, don't apologize for bumping it lol.

Congratulations on your fluffballs I really think GSDs learn so much faster that chickens are permanent residents/members of the household (aka not squirrels) when they're around them often, and from the beginning. When it's time to proof manners with everyone outside, I use a leash/long line. Whatever method of correction your dogs are accustomed to should be fine.

Enjoy the fluffy phase, they grow so fast!
Thanks! They do seem to grow fast! I think they are bigger already, and I've only had them since Tuesday.
post #76 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
Nice, what breeds did you end up getting?
Too many, lol! I ordered a few extra because I was afraid some wouldn't survive shipping, and I figured a few may end up being cockerels even though I ordered pullets. So far they are all alive and well. I have 2 buff brahmas, 2 silver-laced wyandottes, 2 dominiques, 2 Easter-eggers, 2 buff Orpingtons, 1 speckled Sussex, a silver-gray Dorking, and a Faverelles (which I wasn't planning on, but became available at the last second).

Last edited by sebrench; 05-17-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #77 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Too many, lol! I ordered a few extra because I was afraid some wouldn't survive shipping, and I figured a few may end up being cockerels even though I ordered pullets. So far they are all alive and well. I have 2 buff brahmas, 2 silver-laced wyandottes, 2 dominiques, 2 Easter-eggers, 2 buff Orpingtons, 1 speckled Sussex, a silver-gray Dorking, and a Favorelles (which I wasn't planning on, but became available at the last second).
see. chicken math is real.

I think the last time I posted I was getting 9 chicks (up from my original order of 6) and I now have 12-4 week olds. I added 3 more from a feed store while my husband was out of the country.
sebrench likes this.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiker03 View Post
see. chicken math is real.

I think the last time I posted I was getting 9 chicks (up from my original order of 6) and I now have 12-4 week olds. I added 3 more from a feed store while my husband was out of the country.
post #79 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I have you to thank for that lol

"Just go get them."

But one of those is ending up as a favorite.
sebrench likes this.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #80 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Thanks! They do seem to grow fast! I think they are bigger already, and I've only had them since Tuesday.

If you haven't started thinking about it already - you may need to plan for a brooder expansion. We did ours at 3 weeks old because they outgrew what we had planned for 6 chicks. They can start picking on each other if they don't have enough room. Mine are 4 weeks and already trying to fly out of the brooder to visit us!

Our next project is re doing the coop and run because it isn't big enough for all the chicks once they integrate with the older gals.
sebrench likes this.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page