GSDs with chickens: any advice? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Knighted Member

Some roosters can be nice. Mine is ok - not the best but not the worst. He is there to alert me from any dangers. Today he let me know a hawk was trying to fly in the yard (the hawk was way too close for both his liking and mine). I know in my area there are swap meats for poultry and you can find a lot of people who aren't allowed to have roosters but may have friendlier ones.
Nigel likes this.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I'm adding ducklings in a few weeks, and I'm going to allow my dogs a few minutes to sniff them and watch them every day, from Day #1 post-hatch until they move outside. I did that the last time I mail ordered chicks, and it made it MUCH easier to convince the birds that the dog isn't out to get them. But if the dog shows anything beyond polite interest (assuming it's an adult dog) I'd correct it.
Did you get your ducklings? How are the introductions with your dogs going?

If all goes well, it looks like stage 1 of my farm-life dream will come true. I finally found a coop that is big enough, that can be delivered through my gate, and that fits my budget (haha, well, not really, but close enough). I may not get the chickens until next spring though. I still have to get a run, and I want a big one, so I'll probably have to build it myself.
ksotto333 and Nigel like this.
post #53 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Crowned Member

In the past I got an adult mean rooster, called Gorgeous George, just to teach the dogs to leave the flock alone. He was heading for the "pot" because he had attacked everyone at that home.
That rooster, though, was a toughy. He attacked me as soon as I approached him for the first time. I trained him not to do that anymore with the gentle training techniques; finding his 'grey comfort zone' and reward him with grains when he kept his cool towards me. It took a few weeks but in the end he tolerated me. I was the only one with this honor and I loved him for it. After he had attacked my Pit mix, that dog never even wanted to look even at the baby chicks anymore. But wild life took them anyways and I gave up on chickens.
sebrench likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Did you get your ducklings? How are the introductions with your dogs going?

If all goes well, it looks like stage 1 of my farm-life dream will come true. I finally found a coop that is big enough, that can be delivered through my gate, and that fits my budget (haha, well, not really, but close enough). I may not get the chickens until next spring though. I still have to get a run, and I want a big one, so I'll probably have to build it myself.
The duck adventure has just begun.... I think Ayla would take up permanent residence in the garage, forsaking her place on the couch in favor of watching her future charges. We also added two more goat kids, and they're adorable. Loud.... but adorable.

Not to advocate totally reckless animal acquisitions, but trust me, there will never be a perfect time to start with chickens (or ducks or goats). If you have the big pieces of the puzzle figured out, and a sense of humor, and are willing to be flexible, you may as well take the plunge.
Attached Images

post #55 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

Ray watching over his new peeps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	862F6DB6-CB5C-4145-9B15-E94E102642F9.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	520409  
post #56 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
The duck adventure has just begun.... I think Ayla would take up permanent residence in the garage, forsaking her place on the couch in favor of watching her future charges. We also added two more goat kids, and they're adorable. Loud.... but adorable.

Not to advocate totally reckless animal acquisitions, but trust me, there will never be a perfect time to start with chickens (or ducks or goats). If you have the big pieces of the puzzle figured out, and a sense of humor, and are willing to be flexible, you may as well take the plunge.
This right here pushed me into action, lol! actually the store that carries them got their last shipment in for the season so the rush was on. We got 5, 2 Americaunas, 2 Wyandottes, and one Polish silver lace. The silver lace was my daughters decision. I wasn't sure about having only one of any kind, but was reassured by the resident chicken pro that'd be fine... We'll see. So far that particular bird seems to have good "nerves" as it has no fear of dogs or people.
WIBackpacker and sebrench like this.
post #57 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:

I love those pictures! Ayla looks like such a good girl, and so pretty too. The way she is watching over the ducklings reminds me a lot of my first GSD, Cody. In many ways, he was a very tough, serious dog but he had such a tender spot for young animals.

If I can still find chicks when I have a more firm delivery date for the coop, I'll probably just take the plunge and get some. Chicks would be a good motivator to get the run built after all! I am jealous of your goats. When I talked hubby into chickens, I promised him I wouldn't get any goats at least until our children are older. But those 3.5 empty acres are calling to me. What's the point of having a pasture if we're not using it.
WIBackpacker likes this.

Last edited by sebrench; 04-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.
post #58 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Dang chicken maths.....
post #59 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

Just finished giving two of the chickens a bath, nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be.
sebrench likes this.
post #60 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Just finished giving two of the chickens a bath, nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be.
That sounds picture-worthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page