Diary of a crazy woman - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Diary of a crazy woman

As some know I am about to embark on a huge move/adventure. The initial plan was to leave in the spring, but with a shoulder injury and various disputes and issues it just didn't happen.
I purchased about 150 acres of woodland in Northern Ontario, but this late in the year I have no hope of getting set up for winter, so I will be renting around Timmins for the winter. My decision was based on a Walmart and Tim Hortons, I've actually never been to Timmins! Lol.
On Wednesday I picked up an older 3 place sled trailer to move all my stuff. I thought all was good, but Beauty(my old truck) struggled with the weight empty. Sigh. She's old and tired, and the smaller of GM's V8's. Soooo now I am on the hunt for a truck!
Landlord loves me, so I have until the end of October. Then, one way or another, me and the Punk aka Shadow are off to who knows what.
I have no clue how all of this will shake out, but you only live once. I thought it would be fun(for me at least) to keep a diary here of all the chaos.
The property is 100% off grid, and has no current structure that I know of. Plan is to purchase a travel trailer in the spring and live in that. I have generators/invertors and solar panels already and have been studying windmills. By next winter I should be set up to make it through.
dogbyte, sit,stay, selzer and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 PM
Elite Member

Oh wow! I'm looking forward to reading your adventures.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Well, now that sounds like an adventure and a half! I wish you well with this and look forward to hearing about it as you pack, repack, toss out, retrieve...

Before I retired, I was open to anything from somewhere in Saskatchewan to TX, from Oklahoma to the Pacific Ocean. I "looked" at one place in MT that had a cabin _ on it. It was surrounded by tribal land, had, I think, some services. Figured I'd feel bad living on what I thought should probably be tribal land. Never saw it in person but did think about it. Then there was the 2k acre ranch with a 2k grazing allotment. I was in love with that place or at least the idea of that place. I never looked for the house on line. It could have been a tent. I didn't care. Figured I could afford 2 of the 12 monthly payments a year if I didn't eat. You've gotten a lot further than I did!

I ended up moving out to 10 acres with well, septic, house, electricity. (It was a 2000 acre move with a 3/4 ton Dodge pulling a car hauler with my ancient half ton Ford on it; moving company to abuse my household possessions, and a great horse transport outfit to bring my horse. And yes, the departure kept getting post-poned. I had to get here before the horse did 'though.

What's your drop dead date?

Now -- My biggest conundrum is getting contractors to do what I want once I make up my mind what that is. With our housing booming here, that's interesting. So what can I do? I can fuss over what equipment I want and how I'm going to store it.

Here in the states, I'd caution to check your zoning. In my "rural subdivision" although it was platted before our land use laws were in place, you cannot live in an RV or travel trailer. At least you are not supposed to. You might get a variance but you have X amount of time to put in a septic (does your land pass a perk test?) and well. And start to build. I found lots of surprises when I started looking in to how to situate anything I added. You could use this winter to explore anything of this that you haven't already checked.

This sounds like fun (for you --- I've had my fun with moving). I worked packing and dumping stuff for at least a year before I moved. It was still a mess. So never mind if it is not until next summer --- start now.

Great idea to keep a log and neat of you to share it here.

Last edited by middleofnowhere; 09-16-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Knighted Member

I hope it all goes smoothly...all the while knowing it won't...

There is absolutely nothing fun about moving. That being said, it can, and often does turn out to be for the best, it's just that the actual moving part, at least for me, sucks!

I look forward to reading how well your move goes! And obviously, I hope it does go well.

Good Luck!
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh the nightmares!

Come h e double hockey sticks or high water we are gone by October 31! I said a month ago this was happening with a bicycle and a shopping cart if need be. I am already looking at getting a third party to haul the trailer if it comes to that. And Punk and I have hitch hiked before!
I am sure Beauty has one more cross country trip in her, she hasn't let me down yet. And the back is already set up for sleeping. I have two coolers, one plugs into the truck, and both gens are portable. Most of the furniture is getting donated except my dining set and an old sewing machine that I am ridiculously attached to!
The property is surrounded by crown land and is in an unorganized township, so no building restrictions and it can have a recreational residence on it. I probably won't see it until spring anyway. But there will be pics!
Ontario likes solar and the area promotes green living. I am excited, scared and stressed all at once!

Need to get titers done on Shadow, fingers crossed because I can't vaccinate. And I will need to learn about flea control!
post #6 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 AM

wow and a half! I expect a few short videos and a few gorgeous photos. Heck, maybe you can apply for a show on Animal Planet and they'll help finance part of your adventure

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:28 AM

You’ve got to promise to keep this diary updated! I’m fascinated by your adventure.
sit,stay likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Master Member

Wow, sounds like an amazing adventure. I'd love to do something like that

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #9 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a fantastic adventure. Enjoy the ride

If you have room, I'd drop a little cash on thriftbooks and stock up on travel-y paperbacks for company.... but that's me
post #10 of 224 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Elite Member

What a wonderful adventure. I am looking forward to updates and pictures! I have always thought it would be fun to do something like that. I have settled for 5-acres in the country (kind of)---as far out as I could get my husband to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page