Diary of a crazy woman - Page 20 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
This gave me goosebumps the good kind. Ok I'm a bit weird but it seems like he let you know that your choice to head out and onward was a good one.

In any case, I'm glad your freed from previous stresses and hope the next leg of this new life is easier. I hope Shadow is doing better also.
I was well into my 30's before I even knew his proper name. I have never seen a photo. It seems very wrong that a young man who gave his life in a war was forgotten, and yes I know it happens. With no family left that I knew of the searching was difficult. With military records of war dead now public I finally started putting things together, found an entire village of relatives in Sweden(thank you Facebook) and got correct spelling and dates. When I opened that document today I almost fell off my chair. And a lot of the documents were in his handwriting. I spent a lot of the day crying, and laughing, and crying some more. And now we know where he is buried as well. I also had the privilege of telling my Swedish relatives that we found him.
This feels like going home, like I am finishing his journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Safe travels to you. I have friends that are living up in their cabin this year a few hours south west of Cochrane. They still have a ton of snow, it is certainly beautiful.
We have next to no snow here but I am 7 hours south of Cochrane. That was why I opted to secure a room for backup. I am ok with winter camping but I need to be safe as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Elite Member

That is wonderful! What a very special moment for you and that although he is no longer Earthbound, a connection was made. This is a good thread Sabis.
Sabis mom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #193 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

It's amazing where roads take us! Remember that the public library will likely have computers with internet access. (so you don't get off the hook so easily!)

I hope you documented this journey with photos so far. And I would like to see some tracing these last few hours north bound.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:27 PM
Elite Member

Hope everything goes smooth for you and Shadow! Maybe some of your family in Sweden will have a photo, always have admired the spirit of our past generations! Gives us a little push to continue on with our dreams!
post #195 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readaboutdogs View Post
Hope everything goes smooth for you and Shadow! Maybe some of your family in Sweden will have a photo, always have admired the spirit of our past generations! Gives us a little push to continue on with our dreams!
They stumbled upon me in the search for him. He had a fairly tempestuous life. He was born before his parents married which in that time meant that his birth record stated father unknown. His father left for Canada, with the intent that the family would follow (Mom and by then 5 kids) His mother passed away a short time later and the children went to various relatives. He followed his father to Canada at I think age 12 or 14 and they never were reunited here or at least not that I can find. He joined the army at age 25 or so, married my grandmother about two years later and was killed just before the war ended.
I was told all my life that I had no family. It was only about 10 years ago that I accidentally found out his real name. About 5 years ago I was contacted by a man who said he was my cousin. They have been searching for years for any trace of my grandfather and stumbled across me. None of his siblings ever saw him again after he left Sweden, but they never stopped looking. To the best of my knowledge there are no photos of him.
And now I am moving to the place he called home. Perhaps the library archives there will yield more information.
post #196 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:15 PM
Elite Member

That's an amazing story. I hope you can find out more, but either way, very cool to finally connect. Please post how things are going. I'm thinking about buying a 100 acre parcel a bit north of where I am, and working toward building an off-grid house, so I'll be following.... why not live the dream?! Glad to see you going for it.
Sabis mom and tim_s_adams like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #197 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 PM
Elite Member

Very amazing!! Thank you for sharing! So many have family we'll never see or even know of, all the knowledge and dreams "locked" away. So glad you were able to find this piece to your past and hope you learn more. Sounds like you stumbled across maybe a part of his path of dreams to take up and continue.
post #198 of 225 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

For those who may be travelling when the Quality Inn says they are dog friendly, they mean it! Shadow is a registered guest here and there were cookies waiting in the room. When I checked in they made sure to verify my cell number so that if I was out and the dog started barking "We call and see if the dog can be taken for a walk or if one of our staff can sit with them for a bit". Second time I have used this chain and second time I have had them put the dogs name, breed and special needs in their system. When I asked if they allowed dogs the response was "Of course!"
Anyway, tucked in in North Bay for tonight. Weather this morning was just gross. Trying to load the rest of the truck in six inches of mud topped by 3 inches of snow. Tomorrow morning onward to Cochrane with a quick stop in Timmins for a few supplies and to check on my trailer.
Quinnsmom and car2ner like this.
post #199 of 225 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Made it! Just ahead of something blowing in. Room booked for a week at least, and I will try to get out to the property tomorrow or the next day.
I skipped Timmins for now. I wasn't sure if the weather was turning and the trailer is in a large storage place so I am sure they would have called if there were any real issues. With the amount of snow here I would have just been tramping through snow anyway and it's not like I can move it yet.
Now I can get on looking for work and start pulling this plan all together.
dogbyte, dogfaeries and Dunkirk like this.
post #200 of 225 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Exciting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page