Who's In? Engagement/Tug Challenge, The Collared Scholar-free online class - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:21 AM
Master Member

Now I'm wondering if I have given in to tug to easy? Soon enough I'll work the conflict scale. I do all the teaching. You would think living together I'd notice these things....but Apex tugs with my husband and my nephew was over and wow they went toe to toe. Apex was having a great time with my nephew and he adores my husband. When it comes to tug with me he is completely different. Not sure what the reason is. I wanted to get into tug because in a pinch it's much easier then fetch....got some videos to make I guess. He will tug some with me but he releases more often than not but he still wants to play our games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1 View Post
Now I'm wondering if I have given in to tug to easy? Soon enough I'll work the conflict scale. I do all the teaching. You would think living together I'd notice these things....but Apex tugs with my husband and my nephew was over and wow they went toe to toe. Apex was having a great time with my nephew and he adores my husband. When it comes to tug with me he is completely different. Not sure what the reason is. I wanted to get into tug because in a pinch it's much easier then fetch....got some videos to make I guess. He will tug some with me but he releases more often than not but he still wants to play our games.

Our Big-boy plays rougher with my husband. He adjusts his game to our physical strength. He Looooooooooooooooves playing with my hubby. One because he doesn't get to often enough and Two, he can really test his strength against my hubby. With me he holds back. He doesn't want to hurt me.

My gal-dog doesn't make that distinction. If she wants to win and I'm not letting go soon enough, she tries to twist my arm behind my back! OUCH. She plays with technique more than brute force.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:06 AM
Elite Member

I had to convince Valor to play hard with me. When the kids play tug with him, he is gentle and thoughtful about what he is doing. Thank goodness lol Very heartwarming actually. With my 6 year old who has cerebral palsy and would be very easy to knock down, he barely pulls. And he gives up. My 6'2 BF, he goes for the win with 100% of his ability. Dogs, sometimes they know
car2ner likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Master Member

Such brilliant dogs. Apex does play gently with the young kids, I certainly have a lot to be grateful for with this dog. I will have to try to convince him he can be a bit tougher with me. You are both right about the significant others. Apex really put up a fight to win with my husband and won so i know he can do it.
CometDog likes this.
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM

I have to say my tug technique has gotten a little bit better after taking on these challenges.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:14 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I'm doing it with Cava. I did the last one, the Ninja challenge, but since she was so young I wasn't able to do everything. It was funny, in her most recent OB class they had us work on a trick at the end of class each week, and the crawl and the spin were two of them, which I'd already done with her in the challenge. The instructor was going to use Cava to show how to train a spin but had to use a different dog since my overachieving puppy already knew the command. Instead, she had us demo it to show the finished product.
car2ner and RoseW like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:41 PM

that's funny. I think it is wise that your trainer is incorporation tricks into the class. People can stress out over things like teaching a nice heel, but teaching something like a spin they don't worry. Hopefully they'll learn that if they can teach a spin or crawl they can teach a place and heel.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I watched the videos, but didn't do the exercises. I always take it too seriously when I do that and things break down. I'm happy with my "not that tuggy" dog. I still learn lots from the challenges, I just work it in a bit at a time and LOVE the dog in front of me.
I've never been able to get Sonic to just "play" with a toy. But he rocks it if he has to "work" for it, so I'll do things his way. He seems to like a challenge.
I love Megan Karnes The Dog Park FB Group. Great vibes over there.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page