What other breeds do you own? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:02 AM

I had a yellow lab until Saturday evening 12-2-17 when she suddenly & unexpectedly died from unknown cause
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Elite Member

Jenny- I'd recommend a smooth collie. I have a friend who is a breeder (pretty low volume but she has litters occasionally) if you want the contact info. But any well-researched breeder will produce the type of dog they are looking for. Very nice dogs, beautiful, and without all that hair to worry about. Great family dogs, social with people, good with horses and other livestock.

I highly recommend against a Welsh springer spaniel. Prone to being neurotic and shy to a fault, met a few, would never recommend one. The dogs I met were from "reputable" breeders. Big no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Does any one have any suggestions for my friends they are own a horse barn and want a dog. The husband wants a herding breed. He loves shelties but their last one was kicked by a horse due to chasing and also liked to bite people and had to be always leash walked. The wife wants a Labrador from a boarder who breeds really nice labs but the husband does not want one. She wants a dog who is super social with people and adults as they have a influx of customers and boarders that she does not have to worry about. She does not want a dog with a high prey drive or a dog with herding instincts and to stay away from the horses. Her husband will be the one working with the dog so the dog would need to be easily trained. She is more of a Labrador person and he is a sheltie person. Any breed that would meet in the middle. Newfoundland I heard are nice dogs and welsh springer spaniels any suggestions?
I don't recommend the springer for a couple reasons... my sister has one and although it is a very healthy dog (out lived my two german shepherds and still is alive and i'm on my third shepherd now!) it had some major personality issues when it was younger. It has what is called "Springer Rage", my two shepherds would be minding their own business just sleeping or whatever and the springer would randomly attack them and bite them in the face when a second prior it was wagging its tail. My shepherds just stood there kind of shocked with their muzzles ripped open!!!! The springer has also been proven to be very bad with little kids, it bit my 4 year old nephew... although in its defense they didn't tell the child to leave the dog alone and it is a very old dog. GRANTED, my old german shepherd did wonderful with this same nephew when he was alive and never once hurt my nephew. My nephew would fall asleep with my shepherd and share cherrios... If they are looking for a companion maybe without many other pets I would say the springer is good, its a lively dog who likes exercise although can sometimes be stubborn. It was quick to catch on to routines and tricks and was a beautiful dog. It bit my sister and her husband many times though and was aggressive and possessive of many things... in the dogs defense they didn't train it much (only 2 obedience classes).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
NB, I am in Oregon and the Whippets only wore a coat when it was snowing and freezing. Playing fetch on the beach with the three of them running and bringing back the ball made people stop and watch that show. They are incredibly fast on the short distance but you have to make a case to make them do something. As long as they were moving they didn't seem cold. They loved their covered soft beds. I only saw a nose for breathing purposes. They do get their way eventually; they were my only dogs ever taking over the couch. You just want to pamper them without them taking advantage of it.
Cricket, my whippet I brought to Oregon for 'workcations' near the coast was always cold in the summer. She and all three of my other Whippets were born and acclimated to Texas. Whippets are the only dogs I ever had winter coats for. I know that shivering is a way that mammals generate heat. But I just can't to see thin animals with no sub cutaneous fat and not much of a haircoat shivering. Interestingly, my greyhounds with an identical shape and haircoat did not shiver in the winter ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0613.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	463562  
wolfy dog likes this.
post #85 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Anyone have experience with Bernese mountain dogs? Or great Pyrenees ? St. Bernard?

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 12-04-2017 at 10:14 AM.
post #86 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
Now that's an idea! As much as I hate to be colour exclusive, I'd need a dog with minimal white and pink pigmentation to avoid sunburn (and skin cancer) in my climate. Thank you.
I don't know, that White Dog's are prone to sunburn seems to be based more on people's assumption than on facts???

It was something I became concerned with when we moved to the high desert with Struddell (my White Boxer.) She'd spend lot's of time chasing Bunny Rabbits, in the 90 degree heat of the NV desert and never showed any side effects of heat exhaustion or sunburn???

On occasion at home, I'd have to tell her to "get out of the sun!" She liked to lay on the concrete and sunbath at high noon! Stupid dog, but she never got sunburn??? On the other hand my Tri Color American Band Dawg (mostly black) did get sunburn on his nose on one occasion??? And he did not do the sunbathing thing???

Last edited by Chip18; 12-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.
post #87 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
I don't know, the White Dog's are prone to sunburn seems to be based more on people's assumption than on facts???

It was something I became concerned with when we moved to the high desert with Struddell (my White Boxer.) She'd spend lot's of time chasing Bunny Rabbits, in the 90 degree heat of the NV desert and never showed any side effects of heat exhaustion or sunburn???

On occasion at home, I'd have to tell her to "get out of the sun!" She liked to lay on the concrete and sunbath at high noon! Stupid dog, but she never got sunburn??? On the other hand my Tri Color American Band Dawg (mostly black) did get sunburn on his nose on one occasion??? And he did not do the sunbathing thing???
Not sure about sun burn but our white coated shepherd doesn't seem to get nearly as hot as our sables did. To me the only downside is you see every speck of dirt and mud he brings in on him, with the brown sables I never noticed.
post #88 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 AM

All the horse people around here have corgis!
Jax08 likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #89 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Not sure about sun burn but our white coated shepherd doesn't seem to get nearly as hot as our sables did. To me the only downside is you see every speck of dirt and mud he brings in on him, with the brown sables I never noticed.
That makes sense as White reflects heat and dark colors absorb it.

Short coated dogs are easier to keep clean, we don't usually have a lot of mud around here as that takes uh "Rain."

But Struddell was a "dust magnet" and we have lots of that! But a quick wipe with a damp rag and she looked like Mr Clean ... again.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #90 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

Really the welsh springer I only met one but such a nice dog. Not English Springer but welsh. Yeah did not know i know they are hard to find. I will mentioned the smooth collie we had one at the barn the but she is pretty adamant about no herding dogs. I did mention each dog in a litter is different. I will mention to her and let you know if she is interested. I think they had such a horrible experience with the shelty getting kicked in the head by a horse she is afraid to take that chance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page