Are most of you virtual friends ONLY? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Are most of you virtual friends ONLY?

How many of you know each other in person?
How did you meet?
Would you be willing to meet stranger GSD owners around your area?
Have you seen stranger GSD owners, referred them to this sight and had a friendship blossom?

This is just a story so you don't have to read it:
I see this beautiful GSD and their owner walking around occasionally. I always want to say hi or go talk to them (without my dog) but I feel it's inappropriate since some people take offense to it not knowing the temperament of the GSD. I've also noticed the owner walk across the street from me (which is fine) if we are walking in the same direction and put his GSD on the opposite side further from us if we are walking on the opposite side of the road (if that makes sense). Is it bad etiquette to go up to someone like that to chit-chat? I would take the appropriate precautions: is your dog friendly; do you mind if I ask you about your dog; is it ok if I refer you to a german shepherd forum; and very kindly tell them about my two dogs...I know people do it to me. Just yesterday a guy got completely floored by Zeeva and told me to come around to him so he could pet her but I said no (in hindsight I wish I'd said yes). He was very confident and calm and I think Zeeva would have taken to him well. I just worry too much about etiquette and what's appropriate and the unpredictability of my Zeeva...

Anyway...are most of you virtual friends? If not what type of socialization do you do with each other?

Am just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

I know several people from the forum, and wouldn't be surprised if there are more than I "know" but don't know are here, and vice versa. I met two of them at a local training facility, one of them I met here but then we got together over time outside of the forum with our dogs. We took a training class together as well. I don't remember ever referring a stranger here, and honestly I don't really refer many people here at all. I find that most people I know are just "dog is my pet" people as opposed to people who would be interested in joining a web forum devoted to just GSD's.

I don't mind meeting people, but it's harder now meeting people from the forum because I find that most of the people here seem to be in the stage of life where their dog is their kid and they say they don't want kids, yada yada. Since I am married with a toddler, our dogs are still very much a part of our lives, but generally speaking, where we go so goes our 2 y/o. So it would be hard to meet up with other people as a rule of thumb unless they also had kid(s) they were bringing along. Hard to take a 2 y/o hiking in the woods, ya know? And most people don't want to meet at the local kid play area of a park. LOL
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I've met between 20 and 25 board members over the years, counting couples as one person.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

Two of my best friends are on this forum. I guess you could say we "met" online first but until they moved out of state we did stuff together several times a week. I've seen many members here at events/trials. I tend to click more with people I actually know/have met.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Elite Member

Hey, Rerun..I would meet you at the local playground! Great socialization for humans and dogs.
I have met my GSD friends all thru training clubs, but they also frequent this forum as well. If you want to make new friends, join a club and just go up and say "hi"!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

I've only met one person from the forum, Carolyn (fuzzybunny) and her dog Bunny. We met at a local park and had a wonderful time. Photos are here: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ggie-date.html

I'd be willing to meet others, the only GSD's I've met locally outside of mixes have been really poor representatives of the breed and I didn't stop to chat really

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Hey, Rerun..I would meet you at the local playground! Great socialization for humans and dogs.
I have met my GSD friends all thru training clubs, but they also frequent this forum as well. If you want to make new friends, join a club and just go up and say "hi"!
I'm thinking in the winter I'll join an OB class for my two and hope to make some new doggie loving friends. I was saving up for a trainer but I'm dreading exercising in the cold. My two might benefit more with classes than a trainer and I'll get to socialize as well.

I like the just say 'hi' part. Am always so concerned about greeting people with dogs and proper etiquette and what not. I have to gain some confidence
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

I have a couple friends on here. One I have known for years and is the one that told me about this forum, I have the same trainer as another member and the third I met on this forum and have not met in person I guess but we speak on the phone and email. Someday I'm sure our paths will cross. I am sure I have met in person more that that but just don't know it yet.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We do this sort of thing from time to time: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...hoto-dump.html

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

Going to meet three of them and their dogs very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page