Elite Member

Thumbs down Gas prices back on the rise

Bend over - here it comes again!!!

msnbc.com Video Player

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

Oh no... especially now with the Academy... ugh...
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Knighted Member

Yup, it will be $4 per gallon soon here. I paid $3.79 last saturday and I already see $3.84. Glad I should be able to take the bike to work soon, at least I get about 36mpg compared to the suburban's 14 ish.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

It's really getting close to $4 here. What gets me is when I see two or more gas stations at the same intersection and one sells gas for $3.60 the other for $3.95. I can't believe people still going to the one that sells the gas at $3.95!!! It can't just be that they all are just using that stations gas cards!! Whats wrong with people? Perhaps if we gave our money to those charging less the other place would reduce their prices as well.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Knighted Member

Shilohsmom---

Different companies have different refineries. My dad was a Chevron dealer for 49 years. He's actually signing the papers to sell finally on March 6th. Chevron would send him the price every morning. He usually only charged the bare minimum above it. For example, now, he was charging 9 cents over what Chevron charged him. Tell me how much profit an 81 year old man was making after paying the Visa fee of 3-4% (which NO ONE pays cash for gas) and the over head? Trust me, he was making more money when gas was 99 cents a gallon.

Also, the quality of gas DOES DIFFER from vendor to vendor. The cheaper the gas, the worse it is for your vehicle. You'll see a difference in the end, in your gas mileage AND at the mechanics.

People who make comments like yours really irritate me. Too bad you couldn't try to make a living off of having a gas station right now. You might not make such ignorant statements like "What's wrong with people!"

Last edited by RocketDog; 02-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

Our anger should not be directed at the gas station owner they are not to blame. They have the awful task of telling us the bad news when they change the prices on their signs! Think big, global, Washington, etc. and start there.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Knighted Member

Think Oil Refineries.

My dad's had his station at the same corner for 41 years (had a different one before that). It was a mechanic shop too, as he is and always will remain the best mechanic in Spokane. He still has people call him and bring their cars by for him to look at. When he was 62 years old, Chevron informed him they were getting out of the service station business and moving to Convenience stores only. He owned the business, but Chevron owned the property. So at that age, he borrowed over a 1.5 million dollars from a small, local bank and rebuilt.

Slowly but surely, him and my mom were paying the loan off when Fred Meyer put gas in down the road from him. Of course it's cheaper, nevermind it's sh!ttier gas. They ruined his business. Last year he pumped only 980,000 (+-) gallons, where as they used to pump over 2 million. Talk about a hit. That's over 50% less, all due to thinking like the above post. So much for "local economy". "Supporting the little guy". Blah blah blah.

Their accountant passed away about 5 years ago due to cancer. The young gentleman who took over, about 45, (lol, my parents called him young) said after the first year, that it was "the worst business to try to make a profit in" he'd ever seen. He actually lowered his rate for my dad.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
Shilohsmom---

Different companies have different refineries. My dad was a Chevron dealer for 49 years. He's actually signing the papers to sell finally on March 6th. Chevron would send him the price every morning. He usually only charged the bare minimum above it. For example, now, he was charging 9 cents over what Chevron charged him. Tell me how much profit an 81 year old man was making after paying the Visa fee of 3-4% (which NO ONE pays cash for gas) and the over head? Trust me, he was making more money when gas was 99 cents a gallon.

Also, the quality of gas DOES DIFFER from vendor to vendor. The cheaper the gas, the worse it is for your vehicle. You'll see a difference in the end, in your gas mileage AND at the mechanics.

People who make comments like yours really irritate me. Too bad you couldn't try to make a living off of having a gas station right now. You might not make such ignorant statements like "What's wrong with people!"
Back in my home town there was a gas station right next to the on-ramp of the highway. It was cheaper than all of the other gas stations. You also had to fill up much more often. With no change in driving habits/where I was driving I went from 30mpg to 26mpg. There was definitely a difference. I have always kept track of my miles in between filling up my car and calculate the mpg I got since then.

Viking vom Zeder-Kamme (11/19/2011)

Last edited by ladyfreckles; 02-15-2012 at 12:05 PM.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Master Member

It's an election year. It's a guarantee that they will continue to go up and then crash on October 31/November 1. This happens every year there is an election. It's sad, irritating and horrible that our elected officials use our pocketbooks as leverage, but it is nothing more than a ploy to help the incumbents stay in office. Once can also look at the Iranian crisis as another part of our rising prices, and although the Saudi's have promised to increase their output to make up for Iran, this is still going to cause market problems. Additionally is the fact that the US put a moratorium on building new refineries in the 1980s, thus new technology which would make the conversion of crude into gasoline and other petroleum products more efficient cannot be implimented in the US. Every time a refinery is closed to upgrade there becomes a market problem. I have no problem with capping the amount of refineries, but at least allow the companies to build new refineries to replace the outdated ones.

Freyja GSD- 6/21/10
Angus GSD-02/11/07
Bevin (princess kitty) 08/27/07
Porsche: kitty 7/2012

Teddy (collie)- 1990-09/13/2006
Franklin (collie) 1996-06/26/2006
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilohsmom View Post
What gets me is when I see two or more gas stations at the same intersection and one sells gas for $3.60 the other for $3.95. I can't believe people still going to the one that sells the gas at $3.95!!! It can't just be that they all are just using that stations gas cards!! Whats wrong with people? Perhaps if we gave our money to those charging less the other place would reduce their prices as well.
$3.95 - $3.60 = $0.35

$0.35 x 13 gallons = $4.55 savings (for my small car)

40 minutes stuck in line waiting for gas...

$4.55 / 40 minutes = $0.11/minute

$0.11/minute x 60 minutes = $6.60/hour.

My time is worth WAY more than $6.60/hour. Therefore I will continue to laugh at the people willing to wait 40 or more minutes in line just to save five bucks.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page