How do you not let what you see in some threads, effect how you respond to others? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question How do you not let what you see in some threads, effect how you respond to others?

I am thinking about several threads.

Like the pictures thread where the person is playing with their dog and four down captions, broke his neck. Normally, I would have probably laughed, but reading all of the heartbreaking threads about Hex it is hard to not think of that, and the thread with the two youths and the hanging puppy, or the girl throwing the pups into the river and laughing. I, too, need to lighten up.

How do you answer questions about a breeders website without letting the videos of the 300 dogs siezed effect what you are thinking about this breeder? And where are all the people who said you cannot judge a breeder by their website a few months ago? That sentiment, though mentioned a couple of times was not fought with any conviction. Was that because the last time this came up it was a working line breeder, this is a show line breeder so those same people don't care.

Another for me is the cruel family thread, without considering all that went on with another member, it seems that whether this one was that member or had a lot of the same personality traits, or just the fact that it is hard to take things at face value, letting someone dig a proper hole themselves, before burying them in it.

I visit this site more than The Other because I started here, got used to the new format, and mostly because of the variety of people, sheer number of people (that is kind of weird, though considering I am an introvert and hate social events and crowds), and the amount of stuff going on. I like threads that are jumping, and am not turned off when they get a little heated.

But lately there have been so many strange new names, and I dunno. I wonder if it is time for a time-out. More sleep and less insanity. Is anyone else majorly bummed by some of the recent happenings?

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Knighted Member

I see way to many cases on the news of people cruelly killing animals, and abusing them to find anything comical about someone saying, even jokingly that they broke their dogs neck. I guess I just don't have a twisted sense of humor, oh well.

The 300 dogs seized from the breeder, The Cruel Family thread, poor, poor Hex's end-I see what you mean Sue, so much heartbreak and sadness.

I have noticed the strange new names that have appeared recently and I always wonder if it's you know who sneaking back onto the forum. I am referring to a banned member, which was another sad situation that had many of us feeling helpless.

*US Army Mom*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Germanshepherdlova; 10-08-2011 at 06:41 PM.
post #3 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
But lately there have been so many strange new names, and I dunno. I wonder if it is time for a time-out. More sleep and less insanity. Is anyone else majorly bummed by some of the recent happenings?
Yup. Sometimes it can make you feel very defeated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

Selzer I'm new so Im probably stepping in the path that is bothering you.Idont get intoheated threadsbecause I dont know enough to respondbut the Hex threadjust made me tell my husband our dogs pics at my office are coming down. I tend to see alot of bad stuff and the thread w/ the dog hanging made me wanna find those lil sociopaths and hang them,which as a counselor for juvenile in trouble w/ the law probably not good. Thye stuff w/ Hx ,the shelter dogs who get sent to laboratories or idiot county commissioners who send dogs to their death. I hink sometimes I should post but god some days the cruelty and sheer evil people do is overwheming.I've found recently I avoid threads that look like they will show more of the evil people do. You appear to be a logical,caring well informed member who helps out whereshe can. You obviously love animals and try to give people a chance even when its not popular.I hope you stay you give balance but today w/ the news of Hex and all the other cruelty over the past rtwo weeks its hard to keep trying.Take care.
Maggi
post #5 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Elite Member

I haven't been around recently. I just hope this site remains nice and flameless.
post #6 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Master Member

Gosh guys, I was not thinking like that, but now that you mention it, it is always good to be cautious.

I would love to naively believe that everyone who is an active member on this site, is so, because of our love of the GSD breed and all other animals.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #7 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

it really bothers me to know there are such sick people out there that would do such harm to innocent animals, and it angers me as well

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

The bad stuff that gets posted on this forum is just so light that I find it difficult to get emotionally invested it. Even the cruel family thread didn't really bother me. I'm sure we all know someone who thinks their dogs are 'just dogs' and keeps them outside with just the bare minimum necessities. Now that I think about it, my old friend kept her malamutes in the backyard all the time with no socializing too. It's not uncommon, and this is the internet, I might as well treat it as if it were a TV show since it's so easy to make up stories.

Plus, when you've been to the depths of the internet and have seen those stories and photos, or you've seen the injustices that happen IRL that nobody even cares about, it takes one heck of an internet post to get to me. Especially some picture of a person playing with their german shepherd whose only wrong doing is labeling a photo in a way that some people thought was in poor taste.

post #9 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I, too, need to lighten up.
You hear people say something like that fairly often and in some cases, okay... but what some of us find acceptable vs not is individualistic. It's what makes us human. It's what makes change in some cases. If we were all hard skinned all the time, how "human" would we really be? If we never took offense to anything but the most cruel/violent/senseless acts, how would change for the better occur?

Don't change who you are. We all have the right to stand up for what we believe in OR don't believe in. People may call us sensitive or heartless and that's fine, that's their opinion and at the end of the day, their opinions on our emotional outlook are worth absolutely nothing.
post #10 of 140 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

I don't spend a whole lot of time here. I click on the threads that interest me. I cannot bring myself to view some of the really bad pictures/videos. I get the gist from the comments, but tend to avoid those. I did look at the kennel thread and it did bother me. There are many different personalities here. I am generally a good judge of people - even in cyberspace, I get some pretty good insight to people. There are some people I would LOVE to meet in person and build friendships with. Actually, I have spoken on the phone to a few really incredible people. There are others who seem to just want to yank peoples' chains. I actually get a kick out of those, because I don't take them seriously. Some people seem totally lacking in people skills and I wonder how that survive in the real world. There are a few people I refrain from responding too. All in all, I have met some really great people on this forum and have gained a wealth of helpful information.

Sue, It would be a great loss if you took a break. You are certainly entitled, but I would miss you. You are passionate in your convictions. You don't mince words. You say exactly what you think and tell it like it is. Maybe some people don't like that, but I admire it. I think you are a very strong person, very giving, very family oriented. You are tough, but you are kind. You are always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt. You bend over backwards to give helpful advice, even when you know you may as well be banging your head against a wall. So yeah - I for one would miss your presence - even if it was just for a little while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page