Are you living somewhere you don't want live? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Are you living somewhere you don't want live?

Are you currently living somewhere you wish you weren't? Do you have plans to move?
If so, how do you plan to accomplish your goals?
If you've already moved, feel free to share the story of your move, whether it's from the city to the country, or vice versa and whether or not you think it was worth it.

I'll start.

I'm currently living in FL and I hate it. I'm a lover of mountains, rivers, lakes, fishing, hiking, skiing, and cold weather. You could say I love the great outdoors. I'd love to live in dog friendly states such as Montana, or anywhere with great mountain hikes like Colorado.
In my area, Ft. Myers, you're pretty much limited to beaches and humid walks through mangroves. The mangrove walks are really sorry excuses for hikes. Plus, it is extremely hot almost year round with the exception of a few months where it may/may not cool off. I have to admit that a part of me wishes I could live somewhere cooler just so that the dogs and I aren't confined to the indoors most of the day.

It kind of feels like I'm stuck. I want to live in the country; city life makes me feel cramped.

However, there is the issue of finding a job if you move to a more rural area. I have at least 2 more years until I can obtain my degree and hopefully find a decent job; although there are a ridiculously high amount of disturbing reports talking about how young adults are wasting their time in school only to come out and not be able to get a job anyway. This scares me, but I can't really complain; many people have it way worse. What I wish for the most is the courage to try something like moving across the country. I don't know why, but this has always been a daunting thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Master Member

Am I living somewhere I don't want live ?

Well yes and no ! I love where I live except for my neighbors are to close !

Anyhow it sounds like you need a dose of East Tennessee where there's mountains, rivers, lakes, fishing, hiking and alittle cold weather.(sorry no siking) There are all kinds of transplanted people here where I live and alot of them are Flordians. Home price are super reasonable but the sale taxes are a little rought.

Whoever said you can't buy love musta never owned a dog !
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbarrios333 View Post
Are you currently living somewhere you wish you weren't? Do you have plans to move?
If so, how do you plan to accomplish your goals?
Yes, yes, and new job.

I am 28 years old and living in the parents' basement. With the current job I just can't afford $1000 rent+utilities/month and still feed myself and save money for house/emergencies.

I applied for a new job last July. I am currently going through the selection process and hope to be out in September. Just hope the contract is signed with the current job before I have to quit.

I have RRSPs and a TFSA saving up to buy a house in the next couple years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Glacier Send a message via Skype™ to Glacier
I live in southern California and I'm not particularly thrilled about it. I'll be here until I finish my BS, and depending on what professional school admission I choose to except(I'll be applying both in-state and out of state) I may or may not be able to leave this state.

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last edited by Glacier; 06-07-2011 at 12:33 AM.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Crowned Member

It's not that I don't like where I live, I just don't like where I live lives. If my province would move to somewhere way warmer, then I'd be pretty darn happy!

When me and my fiance are both finished school, we'll probably end up moving to Vancouver. I'd absolutely love the warmer weather, but when I went there the size of it just felt so overwhelming. It felt like you could keep driving and driving and you'd never be able to escape it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Elite Member

I'm trying to figure out how to live in the middle of Eastern Montana without leaving my old Victorian house next to two creeks and surrounded by 400 acres of woods.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
It's not that I don't like where I live, I just don't like where I live lives. If my province would move to somewhere way warmer, then I'd be pretty darn happy!

When me and my fiance are both finished school, we'll probably end up moving to Vancouver. I'd absolutely love the warmer weather, but when I went there the size of it just felt so overwhelming. It felt like you could keep driving and driving and you'd never be able to escape it.
My little sister called from poolside yesterday to say it was 31oC in Kelowna. Brat.

At least I have a job and no student loan for $50,000.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Elite Member

I used to live in Montana. Now I live in Seattle--suits me better. I do have to say thought that I went to a BBQ at my training facility yesterday and got to see about 15 dogs chasing playing nicely together in a field. When I lived in the country in Montana, this was not an unusual occurrence, every gathering had dogs. I have a great picture of me shredding chicken in a friend's kitchen with an avid audience of nine dogs watching my every move.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Crowned Member

I moved to FL from MD and love it down here. IMHO you should put the PNW on you list of places to consider moving to.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 AM
Knighted Member

Yes and Yes! Living in Queensland (Australia) and while it is usually lovely and warm (sub tropical), we are so close to beaches but I don't like it much. We are hoping to move to Victoria and buy some rural land later this year....all going to plan if our house sells for a decent amount

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page