Off Topic reply's to threads RANT - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Off Topic reply's to threads RANT

I am still new to this Forum and have used others in the past. A disturbing trend I continue to see is off topic replies to questions posted by users. The big problem is usually the off topic reply is toned to tell the original poster how horrible of a person they are and how they could be doing so many things differently. It's a holier than thou kind of mentality. Now this Board is much better than a previous one I used before finding this one but it still seems to occur on a regular basis. I created a new thread here instead of reply to a few because I don't want to attack a specific person. I'm not talking about any specific responses to posts I have made. I'm still new to the GSD world in general. I have a 2 years old and much much more to learn. The problem I think some forget is not everyone is born into the GSD world. Not everyone starts out an expert. I for sure have made mistakes and have learned a bunch but have much more to go, which is why I try and read training books, training classes, and get involved in forums like this in order to become a better GSD owner.

It's a great start for folks to be on this forum asking questions and trying to learn. Please take a second look when you reply to questions especially from someone you can tell is new and make sure you are being helpful and informative. I don’t' expect every comment to be handled with kids gloves but take a moment to review your post and make sure your not simply telling a person they are totally wrong in what they are doing.

I apologize because I'm not sure this rant makes sense to anyone but me especially since I did not provide examples. I am trying to stay away from examples from this forum as I dont' want it to be personel thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

There are some things I've seen a lot in my years on this forum, and a lot more in the last year or so.

1) Someone will come on here and in there first five posts, ask the best way to go about making a bad decision. "What's the best way to keep my 8 week old GSD from getting out of the back yard while I'm at work?" "What do you think of this $200 dog I'm going to be bringing home at 6 weeks old? Look, his dad weighs 150lb!" "What's the best way to keep a working-line dog in an apartment when I work 10 hours a day?"
Then, when (very experienced) people on the board try to tell them they're making a bad decision; we're either going off-topic or bashing. "I didn't ask what you thought of letting my 6 year old kid play unsupervised with my 10-week old puppy, I asked how to make him stop biting her! Will you please stop going off topic! I may not be as experienced as some of you, but I know what I'm doing!

2) Someone will ask for advice and then get it from someone who has literally decades of experience in the GSD breed. The experienced individual comes across as opinionated and overbearing, as people with decades of experience sometimes are, and is accused of bashing.

3) Someone will ask for advice and then get it from someone who has no experience but has heard about it on the forum once or twice. The non-experienced individual comes across as opinionated and overbearing, as keyboard warriors sometimes are, and is accused of bashing.

4) The internet is chock-full of stupid people. You're not going to change them, so your choice is to develop thick skin or keep getting offended, skipping from message board to message board.

5) The problem is that you can't tell which one you're dealing with when you're new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

I am relatively new to the forum as well, and have not noticed this at all. Believe me, I've been on some... interesting forums and this one seems very nice.

Certain threads will get what some term "off topic" replies simply because of their controversial nature. The people on this forum genuinely care about dogs and are going to comment on things that are detrimental to dogs and to the breed. I would be more upset to see people NOT commenting on things that could be harmful to a dog! Plus, this is an internet forum with a wide variety of opinions and those opinions are going to be shared. It's not a good idea to join a forum with the idea that everyone's always going to agree with you... because that's impossible. Getting other people's opinions is very important, IMO!

Luna, GSD (11/22/08)
Nova, GSD (07/01/07)
Apollo, Rottweiler (06/28/08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Master Member

There are also some people who will take any mention of certain subjects that are background issues of a thread and run away with it. There have been times that I was being drawn into theses side discussions so I started new threads. People didn't post to the new threads. Some people do just love to steer discussions astray.

I get led astray easily and I am sorry if I get led into those tangents.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #5 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Elite Member

Well written Emoore and Rott-n-GSDs. Emoore's item 4 is spot on abut stupid folks and my hide is fairly thick. Overall, I have found a wealth of excellent info on this site concerning GSD's.
post #6 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilrdg View Post
There are also some people who will take any mention of certain subjects that are background issues of a thread and run away with it. There have been times that I was being drawn into theses side discussions so I started new threads. People didn't post to the new threads. Some people do just love to steer discussions astray.
And that's when a moderator should step in and get the discussion back on topic. I'm not saying they don't, since I'm new here and don't know if they do or don't. But that's what a moderator does. I'm sure the mods here do a great job.

Linda
Amari's Gunner 9/14/08

Buddy (kitty) 8/15/07
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage

post #7 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

The rant made sense-I go off topic all the time-but I am really begining to prefer the pedigreedatabase to this form
post #8 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Master Member

Quote:
And that's when a moderator should step in and get the discussion back on topic. I'm not saying they don't, since I'm new here and don't know if they do or don't. But that's what a moderator does. I'm sure the mods here do a great job.
The tangents usually have something to do with the original subject so it is allowed to run its course for a while. Just have patience when it happens. Sometimes you get a lot of useful stuff from the tangents as well. It is good that the moderators give some latitude.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #9 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

this is like sitting through lectures , teaching / learning opportunities using the Socratic method . A fertile mind sprouts ideas, BS not necessary , but "seeds" are.
Just think of those straying thoughts as the seeds. Might have someone think or rethink something from a different perspective .
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
post #10 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
The tangents usually have something to do with the original subject so it is allowed to run its course for a while. Just have patience when it happens. Sometimes you get a lot of useful stuff from the tangents as well. It is good that the moderators give some latitude.
Oh I agree. I'm talking about when it get's way past what the OP asked or was seeking advice about.

Mostly when a new discussion forms and has nothing to do with the initial topic. That's when I think a mod should intervene and get the discussion back on track. Then a new thread could be started to continue the discussion.
I think as long as the OP is in on whatever new topic is started in their thread, than that's fine. They obviously are interested in it.
But if it detracts from the intention of the thread, then the mods should step in (in my opinion).

Linda
Amari's Gunner 9/14/08

Buddy (kitty) 8/15/07
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page