Could he have scaped from the boarding facility? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unhappy Could he have scaped from the boarding facility?

Last night Dennis and I were leaving the restaurant where we celebrated my sister in law's birthday. In the same shopping plaza there is a boarding facility, looked pretty fancy too. Anyway, we were about to leave the plaza when we saw a dog running around loose, no colar, nothing. I told Dennis to stop and he called him to us. He was an Akita mix, probably around 6 or so and very sweet. We hesitated at first because we had Arko in the truck (in his box) but we just couldn't leave him to get hit by a car so Dennis opened the door to the Suburban and he jumped right in. He smelled so good, he had just been groomed, even shaved. We thought he probably scaped from the boarding facility so we drove up there and it was closed, no phone numbers nothing. We did notice that one of the fence panels was down. But would they leave a dog loose in the backyard while they are closed???
Anyhow, we decided to call AC and they asked us to bring him to the shelter, which we did. We told them about him being near this facility and apparently the AC there used to work at this facility, she kind of hinted to us that she had a big problem with them and left.
He was microchipped, but the chip was not register. It is so important to register chips, some people think that just because the chip is in the dog, that it is all they need to do.
I sure hope he gets reclaimed, he was such a sweety. We were so glad we stopped and got him and so proud of our Arko who behaved so well with a strange unneutered male dog loose in the truck.
We will probably call the shelter in a few days and see if he was reclaimed or not. *crossing fingers*

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GSDBESTK9; 02-26-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 AM

I would call the boarding facility and let them know you found the dog in case he was from there. Unfortunately dogs get loose from boarding places more than we care to think about (this happened to a friend's dog and he was killed by a car). The owners may be panicing if they even know yet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM
vat
Knighted Member

Wow, I hope his people find him and never use that place again!

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

Lucky that dog found you instead of someone with other motives!

There was a dog that was lost from a boarding facility near me....saw it posted on CL.
I had the same experience yesterday. I was driving down a street on a lake and saw an adorable Aussie mix running around with a leash dragging. Nobody was around, so I turned around and stopped. She came running to me, no tags on her collar and she smelled like she'd just come from the groomer.
So I drove back and forth in the area. Finally an elderly man was driving, too and she ended up being his "soon to be ex-wife's" dog. She took off when the lady was bringing her in from the groomer. This dog was strong, must have jerked the leash out of her hands. The spot I found her was 1/4 mile from where they live.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:58 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I would call the boarding facility and let them know you found the dog in case he was from there.
I agree. How tragic if the shelter did not contact the boarding facility, the boarding facility did not know the shelter had the dog, and it was euthanized because it wasn't reclaimed within the required time period. If the dog did escape from that place the owners are out of town and may not be back for awhile. Even if the dog is truly safe at the shelter for awhile, the owners may be worrying unnecessarily if the boarding place has told them that their dog is missing.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Great news!!

I just got off the phone with the shelter. LUCIUS was reclaimed by the owner the next day.

Carolina Johnson

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Crowned Member

Such a happy ending, kudo's to you for possibly saving that dogs life.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

Nice to hear a good story, a dog not injured, not killed, not euthanized by the police, or animal control, or the pound, and reunited with his owner to boot.

That was really nice of you to take the trouble. I am sure that his owners are very happy to have him back.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page