Any Amatuer Photographers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Any Amatuer Photographers

Well, I am finally fed up with my old point and shoot digital camera and in a position to get a better one.

It's almost impossible to get a clear picture out of the current one, an HP Photosmart M425.

This is a typical picture:

We are 16 seats away from him in that pic. It was very frustrating to find that the pics looked ok on the 1.5 in screen but once their on the computer it is blursville.

I am trying to decide between the Fujifilm Finepix HS10 or a Canon EOS Rebel XS.

I'm looking for good quality pictures, especially movement pics (dogs don't generally sit around long waiting for you to take their picture) and easy to use. Not having to turn off the flash every time I want to take a picture would be nice too. And decent battery life-my battery was dead by the time Bon Jovi got to the stage-and that is with turning the flash off.

Anybody have experience with either, good or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Knighted Member

Kid Rock would slap you then stop on your camera after seeing that one.

Go with Canon if it's between the two. That's what I shot with all throughout High School (When I wasn't shooting film) and in College (I got my Degree in Photography), and I've been satisfied. It's too early for me to get into specifics, my mind isn't functioning, maybe I'll come back to this thread later today to give you more useful advice.

The only thing, off hand, is that the Canon you're considering is a DSLR, which means you will have the ability to change lenses. With that Fuji, you won't. It just has Optical Zoom, there's no swapping lenses. If I recall correctly, Fuji makes extension tubes that you can attach, but why bother with those when you can get a DSLR and lenses which would be of better quality?

Koda - Sable GSD
Riley - Sheltie Mix

"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring A Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."

FB: Melina D Photography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Crowned Member

The problem with this picture is that your camera focused on the persons head in front of you. Even with AF on a DSLR you still have to focus on the correct thing or it will be blurry. Also it could be even worse if you have a very shallow depth of field and the focus was on the head.

As for movement pictures, no camera is going to be very successful at that. The best I can tell you is that you want to set your camera to a fast shutter speed to stop them in motion, any DSLR camera can do that. On a camera that doesn't have a manual or shutter priority mode set it to sports mode.

As for P&S's, I don't like super zooms, normally really mediocre quality pictures. They look like DSLR's but they are NOT.

If you want a smaller camera, I would go with the canon G12. I have handled one for a few weeks now and really like it. I think it is the best non-DSLR out there.

TAMMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

I think almost any camera (even P&S) will be an improvement over the current one. There's no reason you can't take halfway decent concert pics even with a lower quality P&S, but you have to be able to use it on manual and get one that allows you to choose ISO, shutter speed, etc (I've seen a few P&S that don't have full manual options). Also stay away from "digital zoom" it's absolutely worthless and ruins pictures. I've used up to 10x optical zoom with image stabilization and gotten decent concert shots as long as the people were not running around (see below).

These are a few pics I shot 5 years ago at U2 concerts using a P&S that would now be considered obsolete (3.2 megapixel Canon). They are not too bad considering the camera and the lighting conditions (low light, fast movements). I had to shoot on manual though, which required knowing a bit about the camera's settings and limitations. The worse problem is the noise/grain, probably because of the limitations with a P&S manual settings and the lower megapixel/censor.

If you're mainly looking to shoot concerts, be aware of the rules about cameras. For U2 shows, it tends to vary based on the venue. Many do not allow "professional" cameras or lenses, so no DSLR (and they will take them at the door). A few venues in 2009 allowed DSLRs with lenses 3" or shorter. So it depends on who you're seeing and where. Security for U2 shows tends to be very strict and your bags and pockets are searched going in. If I wanted my camera this past tour I would have had to attach it to myself in pieces, reassemble it, and then dodge security on the floor during the show.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Very nice...

those pictures just go to show that in the right hands most any camera can take some nice shots!

One other thing I would mention when camera shopping is don't buy into the more megapixals the better, "especially" regarding a point and shoot. I think with their small sensor you start losing quality past about 10 megapixals.....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM

canon rebel. the end.

Jennifer
Riley (GSD) Otis (French Bulldog) Cooper (lab mix)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

I went back and forth over a P&S "mega zoom" last year and decided on a Panasonic zs3. I would definitely recommend it for your purposes - it's small, has 12x optical zoom and does pretty well at concerts (although you will need to play around with the settings to get the best shots, like any camera). An added bonus is it takes excellent quality HD video with stereo sound, better than any camcorder I have had.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3-Digital-Stabilized-Black/dp/B001QFZMCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289485305&sr=8-1
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM

Most amateur photographers that I know are split in 2 camps between Canon and Nikon.

If you like a P&S, I have a friend with this camera that they're very happy with. Canon Powershot SX30 IS. It's not as fast for action shots as the DSLR. But these were taken with it.

We have a Canon D30. We had the first series digital rebel before we upgraded- then lens was alright but not great for the action shots. The important part about a DSLR isn't really the camera body, but the money you invest in the lenses. For most of our movement pictures we use a EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens from Canon. That's a zoom lens because you cannot often be right up on the dogs when shooting in action. You also have to have a high quality memory card with a fast write speed. That has a lot to do with how quickly you can take pictures in a series. I remember with our first rebel the action shots weren't very quick because there was lag time as the camera copied the images to the card.

What is nice about DSLR is that as your needs change for pictures you can upgrade without having to go out and buy a whole new set up. Steve's Digicams Digital Camera Reviews, Canon Cameras, Nikon Cameras, DSLR and SLR Cameras is an excellent review site for digital cameras- Outlining the Pros and Cons and showing you sample pictures so you can compare.

These were taken with the Canon Rebel we had with the Kit lens.

These are from the D30 with the new lens. You can see it's much faster at capturing the movement.

Shot in a series...

It also captures nice stills...and what's cool about this is that I am across the yard. I find that I can get better more natural poses if I'm not right up on the dog. You can also see that even at that distance it has great clarity.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JKlatsky; 11-11-2010 at 10:36 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Master Member

I have a p&s(Canon s90) and a dslr(Canon rebel xsi). Each has it's purpose.

Just remember, at some large venues, they prohibit "professional equipment". I don't even try to take my dslr with my huge white telephoto lens into any sporting event or paid concert, unless I have approval prior to the event.

Edit: JKlatsky has the same lens I am refering to as my "white telephoto". That 70-200 zoom telephoto is known as one of the sharpest zoom tele on the market.

To the OP, define your budget first and then I think people could help you out more.

Michael

Last edited by unloader; 11-11-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added content
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Looks like it's going to be the Rebel then. It looks like its got the most options to grow with me as I learn.

I'm not too concerned about getting it into concerts and the like. I've only been to two in my life. This concert was just the straw that broke the back. A once in a lifetime event that I will never be able to get my own pics from. 99% of the pics I take are of Shania, it's probably been 2-3 years since I kept a "fun" one.

Probably the best picture from the whole concert (after I stole the then BF's camera):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page