Computer Screen Repair? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Computer Screen Repair?

Does anyone know if I can take my computer to a shop to have just the screen fixed? Not asking for a specific shop, just asking if I can get the screen fixed.

My bf stepped on it a while back and it cracked the screen and pixels have been dying gradually and it's just been getting worse and worse.

I couldn't get mad at him though - it was my fault. It was under some clothes and he stepped on it. I was just like, "D'awww...." He felt really bad though. Doesn't bother me. Just kind of an inconvenience.

Anyone know how much it might cost if I can get it fixed? It'd be nice to not have to get a whole new laptop.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Here's a pic of it so you can have an idea. It wasn't this bad to start out. And there's a crack from where the longest part of the black blob to the bottom right corner, so I imagine that's going to all die before too long....

You can see it's dying on the bottom right, top right, a little on the top left.... Quite obviously that huge black splotch. Haha. Can't really tell, but there's a dead line going across the top.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Crowned Member

It will likely cost as much or more to replace the screen at a shop than to buy a new laptop. If you want, you can purchase a screen from ebay and install it yourself. Me and my boyfriend break our screens all the time and it's about $100 to buy a screen. And installing it yourself is pretty easy too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 AM

wow people here are just not having a good day w/ their screens.... i.e. iphone LOL

honestly, depending on the brand of the computer and what you gadgets you got in it... might wanna just buy a new computer..

but just a rough estimate $600-$1200ish depending on the size of the screen

Scout Vom Haus Voeller, DOB 08/19/10
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 AM

looks like someone beat me to it... the $600-$1200 is having a tech replace it

if you wanna replace it yourself try this site:
http://www.screencountry.com/index.php?section=Home

Scout Vom Haus Voeller, DOB 08/19/10

Last edited by Montana Scout; 11-09-2010 at 12:25 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Crowned Member

You need a new display. Probably worth it if you can do it yourself, not worth it if you're paying Geek Squad or the likes to do it for you.

Or, you can turn off the LCD, hook up an external monitor and just use that.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Elite Member

I broke my Macbook screen by accident a couple years ago and bought a replacement screen on eBay for about $100. I just read a tutorial found via Google and replaced it myself, it was easy as pie. The techs are sure to rip you off.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah I am a laptop repair tech and most of it is not rocket science, most things can only connect one way in one spot. If it works, it's fixed. There are a few things that require special tools to do. Some people would rather pay hundreds or even just get a new computer than mess with it themselves.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Knighted Member

If your BF broke your laptop why are YOU looking for where to get it repaired?? It seems to me HE would be the one getting it fixed and yes it was his falt. It was his foot that stepped on the thing. If you would have said you threw it at him and it broke I can see where it might not be his falt. Accident or not he still broke it and he should be the one to get it fixed.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Me and my boyfriend break our screens all the time and it's about $100 to buy a screen.
Out of curiosity - what is it you and your boyfriend do to your computers that causes you to break your screens "all the time"? (So I can avoid doing whatever it is. )

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page