While we are on the topic of pests.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

While we are on the topic of pests....

I have chipmunks taking over my yard and they are starting to destroy stuff and digging their tunnels under my steps. I feel like I shouldn't care what happens to them, but I want to relocate them far away to a park. I have the trap, but I'm worried that it's too close to winter and they'll freeze their little butts off. Would you do it anyway? (I might go to the feed store and buy a $5 back of cracked corn for their new home.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Crowned Member

Re: While we are on the topic of pests....

I would leave them but that's just me..
the biggest thing about moving them now would be starvation. it would be very unlikely that they would find a suitable burrow and get it stocked with food before winter. even if you dumped 50lbs of corn, it won't help them unless they have a place to hide it. birds and other animals would just add it to their own stores.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

My Maxwell took out two tree rats (squirrels) this week

Sorry, no advice for chipmunks!

A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.
--------------------------------------------------
Maxwell's Silver Hammer GSD/Dobie X

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Agreed. Also I think that chipmunks, like squirrels are territorial. When we move them they are in an unknown environment typically with other animals already in residence. I've never read an article on chipmunks but I know that survival rates for relocated grey squirrels are incredibly low. They are moved and then homeless and ultimately hit by cars or killed by predators. People think humane trapping is the kinder option but mortality for relocated animals is pretty high.

Is there a way to chipmunk proof your steps with mesh or other techniques from discouraging their access to the places you'd rather they stayed out of? Even if you move or kill these guys, if your yard seems like good chipmunk habitat you're just going to exchange this batch of chipmunks for the next one. Better to address whatever is attracting them to set up shop at your house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

there is a chipmunk near the woodpile in our backyard. He used to live under the back steps until he got tired of being harassed by the dog. now he stands on top of the wood pile and teases before disappearing into the mess...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

They used to be worse and they seemed to be gone for a while. Now they are back and I've found out they are overflow from my neighbor across the street. They had removed some trees and took their time removing the branches.

The last couple of nights I've noticed a musky smell in my back yard like fox or skunk. So, it appears that they are becoming food for animals higher up in the food chain.

My dogs do try to catch them, but they just haven't the skill.

I think I'll wait until spring and then relocated them. I don't mind if they are food for something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page